mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

One of the main advantages of a poppet-valved marker is that you can easily pull the bolt out for cleaning... assuming that enough of it is exposed at the rear of the gun... which won't work if you want a clean sight rail on top.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

spoolies tend to be a more smoother shot, some people like that, as well as quieter. in the woods, that might get you a second or third shot before you are spotted. efficiency is a weird thing. some people will only shoot the paint on their pack, so it really doesn't matter that you can get a case off a 68/4500.

but to each their own. it doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. whether a pump, mech, poppit, blow forward or spool; some people like what they like. there is no best gun for the different playing styles. they all send a paintball down the barrel.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I don't think efficiency has ever been that big of a deal in the woodsball world.
I think its a bigger deal in woodsball than speedball. In a tournament game, you're gonna be playing for a couple minutes at a shot. Any gun these days can shoot a hopper and 3+ pods on a 45/45 and a hopper and 6+ pods on a 68/45, which should get even the most trigger happy back player through a game.

In scenario games where you have on field respawn points and can carry all the paint you can afford, the bottleneck in your capacity is the amount of shots you can get out of a tank fill.

"Without God and the future life? How will man be after that? It means everything is permitted now."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I used to shoot a PMR and a DM3 as a scenario marker but found it to be lacking on air efficiency, so I went back to shooting a 'cocker. I think Efficiency does play a part.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
I use my Vikings in the woods regularly. Screw the rails; they are unneeded complication, weight, opportunity to catch on brush, etc. I just wish I had a Viking with a RipClip. That would be most excellent.

custar
Hah, my idea of a woodsball marker is anything that isn't one big, bright color. I was just thinking on the marketing angle (cover with rails, paint black).

The need for efficiency is also a function of the field you play. I bought my first used intimidator just for final battles and the fields where the air station is a quarter of a mile from the "hospital". It is real handy, but I still play with an automag if air is convenient.

Poppets can be quiet with the right barrel. I thought the A1 barrel kit was pretty silly until I played with it. It was notably quiet (so I was told). The fly at least has a tiny kick, to the point where I have trouble timing shots on the move (the trigger being nothing either). Bolt maintenance is easy, but the rest of it is pretty intricate. The design asks a lot of the manufacturer.

It's hard to mess up a spool marker because they are pressurized behind the breech, keeping out paint, rain, and dirt. Cockers are pretty bad about that.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

my favorite woods/scenario marker is still my trilogy tactical.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebs View Post
I think its a bigger deal in woodsball than speedball. In a tournament game, you're gonna be playing for a couple minutes at a shot. Any gun these days can shoot a hopper and 3+ pods on a 45/45 and a hopper and 6+ pods on a 68/45, which should get even the most trigger happy back player through a game.

In scenario games where you have on field respawn points and can carry all the paint you can afford, the bottleneck in your capacity is the amount of shots you can get out of a tank fill.
We're talking woodsball, not scenario. I play woodsball pretty much exclusively and I tend to play hopperball with a 60rd pod in my pocket regardless of what gun I'm playing with (usually S6 or Axe).

Look no further than the Automag crowd for a perfect example of the lack of care in regards to efficiency.

Scenario's are a different beast entirely. I've seen crazy guys wearing SCBA tanks to feed their guns.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
As far as the spool vs. poppit thing I don't think efficiency has ever been that big of a deal in the woodsball world. It is for some but I don't think they're the majority...

x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebs View Post

The thing is, we're talking about selling points, not what actually benefits players.
Perhaps even moreso than in the tournament realm, the look of a marker is a huge concern for the milsim submarket. Something less immediately tangible, like gas efficiency is overlooked, even when it should be a much greater concern.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
The thing is, we're talking about selling points, not what actually benefits players.
Perhaps even moreso than in the tournament realm, the look of a marker is a huge concern for the milsim submarket. Something less immediately tangible, like gas efficiency is overlooked, even when it should be a much greater concern.
Great point. Many "Milsim guys" will spend as much adding weight to a marker as "Speedball guys" will trying to shave off weight
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Not playing nearly enough

I've also been seeing a trend toward olive green or coyote brown electros making inroads. Same speedball gun, less bright and flashy look. I see that as a positive thing.

With that in mind, I wonder why there isn't more of the "traditional milsim" markers offered in non-black but still muted colors. Some like the TM line have come in Limited Edition options but most I've seen have been custom jobs.

Except for at scenario games, I tend not to shoot more than 500 rounds in an entire outing. By the time I've gone through that much paint. I'm happy, welted, and tired. Ready to pack it up and call it quits. Even with my mediocre efficiency Automags, that is doable with my 45/4500 or even a 48/3000. Efficiency for me is a nice to have but not high on my priority list. Spoolies in the woods are fine dandy.
esperto96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone