mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!
 
Kermit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pace, FL

Spool Valve Woodsball Markers

So we are starting to see these woodsball-geared guns out and about on the market. SmartParts released the SP-8 and the SP-1, Bob Long has the MTac, Macdev has one I believe, Tippmann has the Phenom, Dangerous Power recently revealed their new marker, BT has their TM series markers.

One thing I've noticed is that these are mostly spool valve guns, or inline poppet valve markers, they are all single tubed guns. Why do you think the push has gone with these spool valve markers opposed to stacked poppet based systems? Poppets generally lead with better efficiency and less servicing is required. Why do you think we are seeing these spool valve guns make a jump into the scenario market instead of poppet based systems?
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
502's Official Logger
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: With the corn, in Indiana
Send a message via Skype™ to james

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
So we are starting to see these woodsball-geared guns out and about on the market. SmartParts released the SP-8 and the SP-1, Bob Long has the MTac, Macdev has one I believe, Tippmann has the Phenom, Dangerous Power recently revealed their new marker, BT has their TM series markers.

One thing I've noticed is that these are mostly spool valve guns, or inline poppet valve markers, they are all single tubed guns. Why do you think the push has gone with these spool valve markers opposed to stacked poppet based systems? Poppets generally lead with better efficiency and less servicing is required. Why do you think we are seeing these spool valve guns make a jump into the scenario market instead of poppet based systems?
Because stacked-tube poppits can't give you a mil-sim look like spoolies can. It's a lot easier to put an ion into a shell than it is to put an ego into a shell. I think that's the main reason for it.
__________________
502nd SOG Paintball Team


Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesguy View Post
sell your body, prostitution is an easy way to supplement gun whoring.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Give in to the Night
 
noctem89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, capital of the greatest country in the world, Texas

^^^ pretty much that. The mtac is a poppet actually, so that would be your best bet if looking for a super efficient milsim marker. Or, just play woodsball with a speedball marker, its what I do
__________________
Give feedback please
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

chopper_duke: You guys just don't understand how hard it is to take pictures from a dark closet and not wake the person up...

bring me a white rotor sale
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post1853123
noctem89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011

Like others have said, it's easier. Also it's easier because of the unexposed bolt. Not that'd it'd be a big deal to make come out of the side or hide it, but still.
NPpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
X0317
 
dm6rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manahawkin, New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
I wonder this myself, actually. I think it may have something to do with the fact that most spoolies and inline poppets are completely sealed off, sans the breech? Less opportunity for crap to get in there, leading to a more reliable marker?

I like that we're seeing more and more technology come over to the woodsball scene, I think it's a step in a good direction. I for one would LOVE to see a Planet Eclipse or Dye woodsball themed marker. Not just camo, but rails, stocks, that sort of thing. I really like the new Dangerous Power except for the grip, but I won't judge it any more until I get a chance to try one.


EDIT: NP beat me to it
__________________
dm6rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
98ssuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: british columbia

I think part of it has to do with alot of these woodsball markers are being run off a remote line anyway to a tank in a vest of somesort. Therefore efficiency doesn't matter as much as a speedball style because they will just get a bigger tank or a second one. Not that there haven't been a few stack tube woodball markers like the tactical wgp autocockers and kingmans mr series. Althought I am surprised more autococking woodsball markers aren't being made. You would think that milsimers would like closed bolt markers with moving parts.
__________________
It's not cold till the sweat on your hands freezes to
your hockey stick
forever looking for my beloved mag sm00431
98ssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SCMO
Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Don't forget the Crossover. As far as the spool vs. poppit thing I don't think efficiency has ever been that big of a deal in the woodsball world. It is for some but I don't think they're the majority. That said, most of these new spoolies are WAY more efficient than the offerings most woods players are used to.

I like the trend personally, it's good stuff. In regards to the Phenom/Crossover valve system they are solid. They don't need to be messed with all that much and they work great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6rocker View Post
I wonder this myself, actually. I think it may have something to do with the fact that most spoolies and inline poppets are completely sealed off, sans the breech? Less opportunity for crap to get in there, leading to a more reliable marker?

I like that we're seeing more and more technology come over to the woodsball scene, I think it's a step in a good direction. I for one would LOVE to see a Planet Eclipse or Dye woodsball themed marker. Not just camo, but rails, stocks, that sort of thing. I really like the new Dangerous Power except for the grip, but I won't judge it any more until I get a chance to try one.


EDIT: NP beat me to it
x2
__________________

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

I never really thought of poppets as being maintained less. Maybe so, but the maintenance on spoolies is often easier (I think, maybe , fewer parts usually)

There was the WDP AR:K.

I've always wondered if a viking had enough meat for milling picatinny rails. It would at least take the screws.
__________________
My Feedback
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
BigOldSkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Psssst... Mtac isn't a spool.
__________________

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I've always wondered if a viking had enough meat for milling picatinny rails. It would at least take the screws.
I use my Vikings in the woods regularly. Screw the rails; they are unneeded complication, weight, opportunity to catch on brush, etc. I just wish I had a Viking with a RipClip. That would be most excellent.

custar
__________________
MCB Feedback
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC