mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #111 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Well, I finally got out last weekend paintballing - first time in nearly a year! And I wore my spyridons all day no complaints at all, worked GREAT. Didn't step on anything harsh, and didn't care a bit about the mud and puddles. Normally, I'll step in a puddle with just one foot, and my shoe/sock will be soaked the rest of the day. Big pain in the butt...with these, I didn't play so cautious around puddles - wasn't afraid to step near or in them to get better views around corners.

My only problem is that I was still hurt from running for intervals more than 3x longer than what I was used to :P so I've been icing my foot and using tensor bandages...but as far as when I was playing I wasn't sore. Since I was recovering before, I hurt a fair bit after. Ah well, I'm young, I'll heal.

Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Though I should say I didn't end up going in the trees, stuck to the actions in the field, trenches, and buildings.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #112 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

I've been wearing the New balance version of these on field every weekend since May. I haven't rolled my ankle, back pain has disappeared, and the feedback I get from the ground is fantastic. The soles are wearing pretty quickly but they are getting used on some pretty brutal terrain 2-5 days a week.

When I first got these I did a 10 mile hike in them with my gf. No blisters, super comfy...I love them and I won't play/ref/hike in anything else.
OSG Paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #113 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
Well, I finally got out last weekend paintballing - first time in nearly a year! And I wore my spyridons all day no complaints at all, worked GREAT. Didn't step on anything harsh, and didn't care a bit about the mud and puddles. Normally, I'll step in a puddle with just one foot, and my shoe/sock will be soaked the rest of the day. Big pain in the butt...with these, I didn't play so cautious around puddles - wasn't afraid to step near or in them to get better views around corners.

My only problem is that I was still hurt from running for intervals more than 3x longer than what I was used to :P so I've been icing my foot and using tensor bandages...but as far as when I was playing I wasn't sore. Since I was recovering before, I hurt a fair bit after. Ah well, I'm young, I'll heal.

Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Though I should say I didn't end up going in the trees, stuck to the actions in the field, trenches, and buildings.
I am curious how the Spyridons stack up with the Treks. Either, I am sure, will be great, but it's my own curiosity.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #114 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSG Paintball View Post
I've been wearing the New balance version of these on field every weekend since May. I haven't rolled my ankle, back pain has disappeared, and the feedback I get from the ground is fantastic. The soles are wearing pretty quickly but they are getting used on some pretty brutal terrain 2-5 days a week.

When I first got these I did a 10 mile hike in them with my gf. No blisters, super comfy...I love them and I won't play/ref/hike in anything else.
NB is making toe shoes? Or are you talking about minimalist shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
I am curious how the Spyridons stack up with the Treks. Either, I am sure, will be great, but it's my own curiosity.
Same here. I love my treks but I'm eyeballing the spyridons for a running/water shoe.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #115 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I've always wanted to try these out!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #116 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
NB is making toe shoes? Or are you talking about minimalist shoes?
NB uses vibram soles for their minimalist shoes. They are not toe shoes. I chose against the toes ones from vibram because I like wearing socks to keep my shoes from smelling. So far mission=complete.
OSG Paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #117 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSG Paintball View Post
NB uses vibram soles for their minimalist shoes. They are not toe shoes. I chose against the toes ones from vibram because I like wearing socks to keep my shoes from smelling. So far mission=complete.
Gotcha, I'm tracking now. Fyi, going with toeshoes doesn't mean you have to run w/o socks.

http://www.injinji.com/

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #118 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Gotcha, I'm tracking now. Fyi, going with toeshoes doesn't mean you have to run w/o socks.

Injinji - The Original Performance Toesock
Seconded. I wear Injinji socks all of the time with mine.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #119 (permalink)
Post Whore

All I know is my podiatrist does NOT recommend the vibram toe shoes but does recommend nb and aesics.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #120 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I need some Injinjis, but only one place has some local and they only have one type...in limited supply -__- I use tea tree oil on my feet, and foot powder in the shoes to cut down on the smell. Still wash regularly though.

As for your podiatrist...I don't see why it would make a difference. The NB Minimus and other shoes like that aren't really any different, they just offer a little more cushion (which may or may not be better for easing into the trend)... but the VFFs offer more ground-feel, which allows your feet to adapt to the terrain they feel underneath them... better. EDIT: Re-read that, and there is no particular reason to recommend those "brands" as anything better. It's all about picking a shoe that works with your biomechanics, and most brands offer neutral and stable shoes for different people. I get people to try a "foam" cushion shoe like NB, Saucony, Nike, etc...Mizuno, due to the "wave plate", and Aesics, for the gel cushion. Once they pick one, we go for the cushion/weight tradeoff they like.

On a side note, I'm waiting for my own pair of Minimus to come in because I get them cheaper than my employee discount through our Employee Purchase Plan (it's basically free advertising if we wear their shoes while working). It's a bonus because while my girlfriend has tolerated my VFFs when going to malls and stuff, they are still not any better than "kind of cool" lol. Easier on her :P
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone