mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
Breathability is good, I wore them the other day when I knew my regular shoes would get soaked anyways, dried out really quick indoors (while wearing). Only issue VFFs are well known for is their odour (especially if barefoot, rather than wearing Injinji socks). I looked up some fixes, and I went with rubbing my feet with tea-tree oil ("natural disinfectant"?) before wearing for the day, adding foot powder to shoes helps reduce sweat but makes no difference to odour. I'm not normally a "natural remedy" guy but oil seems to work well (used to be rancid after a 45 minute go on the treadmill, now I wear for 10 hours straight at University no problems). I also wash them in the washer once per week, air dry overnight.

As for sliding on knees, it's because I prefer to slide into cover while remaining in a shooting position (stock class pump). Don't bother with elbow pads.

And I agree, I am still working into them for running because my physical activity has been greatly limited due to budgetary concerns...but now I'm free of school for a couple years at least and have money again!

(If you buy them don't just run 10 miles on your first go, most people lack the foot muscles required...unless you do dance, martial arts, etc.)
Try firing them into your freezer overnight. That should kill any bacterial buildup. Vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide all kill smelly things as well, though I'm not going to say peroxide is color fast.

I'm going to try the komodo ls, assuming I can find some size 13 equivalent to try on. I'm looking for shoes I can walk through anything and not worry about them staying soggy for too long. Basically out of the truck, into the water, into the canoe and back out without having to put sandals on or take wet shoes off for the drive home. Running 10 miles shouldn't be an issue (as there's no way I'm going to run 10 miles).

How well do the rubber toe caps attach? If it is just glued on I imagine eventually you will have issues with the friction peeling them off. maybe reinforce them with crazy glue or something similar, but really shouldn't be too much a problem if they are built well.
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
Murf: which models did you play in?
TrekSports
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I play with them, and to be honest, the constant uneven ground made my pinky toe slip out of its "slot" (so to speak). My heel kept slipping out the back too.
MCB
TechPB
dmercure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Freezing only makes bacteria dormant doesn't it? In any case, the biggest problem is probably what the bacteria produce from what your feet sweat, so better to kill them before they can. The soles have built-in anti-bacterial properties, but after a while the smell builds up anyways. Hence, the oil BEFORE I put them on for the day

As for the soles/toes...I believe the rubber is glued AND sewn but I could be wrong. Thought I saw a little extra glue creeping around the edges of some of the toes. You tend to get wet feet because there is fabric between the toes but like I said they dry pretty quick. Just not fun when it's below zero.

As for sizes, they are in European sizes but because they are supposed to fit like "gloves" my size actually drops to European 44, or 10.5/11 US Size. I recommend trying on what you buy though, as at least one model (Classics) fit a bit differently than others.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercure View Post
I play with them, and to be honest, the constant uneven ground made my pinky toe slip out of its "slot" (so to speak). My heel kept slipping out the back too.
Makes it seem as if you have "too big" of a size? My only issue with the Komodos is the velcro straps...only two, so the sides tend to be a little loose and stuff can sneak in. I'm hoping the lacing on the Spyridons will prevent that.

My toe/heel have never slipped out of mine, but I haven't done anything but pavement yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Vibram FiveFingers - KOMODOSPORT

I have been wearing my Kodomo's on and off for about 3/4 a year now and each time I give them a wash the material still looks new. (Minus the decals peeling off) Sadly I ordered a set that was one size too small and it slightly pinches my small toe but asides from that they are un-freaking believable since I've always been a barefoot person.

From what I've experienced so far I've only had problems running on slimy surfaces such as certain unturfed indoor fields and nylon mesh based fields. Everything else such as wet grass, dirt, mud, and artificial turf gives me no trouble. Messy wood surfaces are a hit and miss.

For wear from sliding, it's only peeling off the "Vibram" logo and the colour decals are peeling off. I never do double-knee slides; exclusively baseball slides and superman dives so the main wear points are the tops of the toes and the sides. There is some wear on the sides where I baseball slide but everything else still looks nearly new.

Wear on the sides:

Decals peelings:

Feedback
Please take a look at my anodizing album here: Tonsixer Anodizing
Tanongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Good to see the toes have held up so well, considering they are supposed to be cross trainers!

Not much would get good grip on messy wood surfaces, I think (short of spiked shoes).
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I love my pairs. I have a pair of the trekks and komodos and they both to me work better than cleats, just enough slip/grip ratio to play in. Like what was said earlier, it is a pain to have to keep picking the weeds out from between your toes, and it is annoying when you step in some tiny puddle your feet still get soaked.

But overal, my shins usually burn like fire after a few miles of running, when i wear these, there's practically no burn. Plus, i know it's just a mental thing, but when i wear them, i "want" to run more, it's hard to explain.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Igloo member

Played Wasaga (the dry half) in Vibrames last summer, and a few games in them just rec ball.

I'v never stubbed my foot in them. i find i have more dexterity when running and playing in them, However that being said I still get twigs stuck between the toes all the time.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
I love my pairs. I have a pair of the trekks and komodos and they both to me work better than cleats, just enough slip/grip ratio to play in. Like what was said earlier, it is a pain to have to keep picking the weeds out from between your toes, and it is annoying when you step in some tiny puddle your feet still get soaked.

But overal, my shins usually burn like fire after a few miles of running, when i wear these, there's practically no burn. Plus, i know it's just a mental thing, but when i wear them, i "want" to run more, it's hard to explain.
Totally agree.

I'm hardly an avid exerciser, but I keep finding more "excuses" to get out for a walk in them. It's almost like pump paintball - making you more aware of things, more focused, etc... not just headphones in and stare straight ahead until you get bored and go home.

Added extension: I'll be looking at my first manual vehicle soon too! Same idea.

Another question: for those of you that use your VFFs fairly regularly, how did you start working into them? I understand that running too much can cause a variety of injuries if your form is wrong, and have read running without them on can help you develop the best form (because your feet will feel the ground better and let you know when to stop for now, whereas the VFF soles protect you from this "warning").

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone