mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Didn't mean to disclude you Bird

I've also had Inov 8 recommended to me as a minimalist shoe.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Oh its fine I actually have a pair of 5 Fingers I just had to wait till they went on sale didn't feel right to cut up a pair of $90 shoes to be able to wear them. Had I done my research before hand I probably wouldn't have bought them though.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I have six pair of Vibram Five Fingers. Two Treks, I am only wearing one pair right now for playing paintball in, one pair of Treksports, which I will most likely sell off, a pair of Flow, because they are a bit nicer for colder and wetter weather, a pair of KSO and Speeds when they were a European only model, my go to summer wear. Been wearing Vibrams for better than a year and a half now, and they are about all that I wear. I do want a pair of Spyrodons, I think that they would make for excellent paintball shoes.

Keep in mind, these soles are meant to last, and there are serious runners that run pavement that have 1500 miles or so with their Vibrams before then need to get another pair. For $90, that's a good shoe.

As to the toes being in separate pockets, it helps with ones balance and such. Keeping your toes into one pocket, like all of the boots and shoes out there, means that you don't have the same balance and agility that you do when all of your toes are able to spread and move independently, like then can with the Vibrams. It's more than just wearing a shoe with a 3mm or 4mm thick sole, it's also about the barefoot experience that nothing else out there can give like the Vibrams can.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Yeah, seems to me a lot better price than the $180 or so I paid for my Asic Trail Shoes :P
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

Just picked up a black pair of kso's, and my lord what an amazing set of footwear. Slipped right on with no effort, the sales guy said he had never seen anyone slide them right on. It helps that my DNA has somehow lined up to give me monkey feet.

Anyway, I'm sure these won't be my last pair.

How well do the size from kso translate to other models?
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Let us know how you like the Spyridon, I've been wanting to get those next. I love my TrekLS.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Man in Tights

You bet. They are supposed to be delivered today!

I just need to get over a slight injury first :P I did a lot of sprinting trying to find a guest lecture classroom last Friday and I've been for some walking/running since and have aggravated it a little. Some small twinges in an ankle/shin.

As for sizing, this is a little out of date but:

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 04-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Igloo member

Let us know what you think of the LS system. I have the Treksports and i REALLY like the strap system for being simple easy and makes the shoe fit really snug. especially with the strap across the Achilles tendon.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I think the strap system is a little different on my Komodos...one on top, like Treksport, but a separate velcro strap on outside edge of foot also. I feel like the top edge could fit more snugly when tightened up (stuff sneaks in when running sometimes).

I've heard mixed reviews on the laces, but a lot of the reviews out there seem to be pre-production models.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Preliminary thoughts: just wearing them as I write a paper to stretch them out...

The LS system is supposed to be for accomodating high arches, but at its loosest I found it significantly harder to slip on. One on it ties up tight, and the laces velcro down so they aren't swinging all over. Worried about how long the stripes on top will last, probably the same paint as on my gold/black Komodos, which is already cracking a little bit after a few weeks (and a wash per week or so).

Seem comfy enough, but have to wear them a few runs. Nice touch is that the insole is sewn in; I had noticed if my feet got really sweaty in the Komodos my toes would slide along the insole or just pull it along without actually bending the toes of the shoe. Might be avoided this way.

Bottom feels really grippy!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone