mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Cool Vibram Fivefingers

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in a while...been finishing off my Honors Psychology BSc. Studying for finals and 21 pages into my thesis! But on to my question...

I've been wearing Vibram Fivefinger Komodos exclusively (minus a couple wet below zero days) for about 3 weeks now, in order to overcome some ridiculous arch and ankle issues, as well as my dependence on orthotics (part of it may have been plantar fascitis, I realize now).

Yesterday, I ordered a pair of their new trail shoes, the Spyridon LS - I hope to do some outdoor running (I've been on 2-3 short runs with them due to lacking foot muscle) but then I thought, hey, these would be great for paintball! Good grip, flexibility, and rock protection (though I WILL have to pay more attention where I put my feet, especially in the woods).

My question is: who has played in their VFFs, and how do they hold up to sliding? I tend to slide on both knees at once, so the top of my footwear probably drags on the ground normally.

cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
meatballs

I just think it would hurt if you got shot on your toes

EDIT:They are great for running tho, makes you put down your toes first instead of heel, which saves your knees.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
There's an older thread somewhere about playing in these (found it!) - I've played in mine and haven't had any problems but I have an older style with almost no tread. I'm not sure how the trail runners would work with sliding. Oh, and I haven't been shot in my feet yet but stubbing toes and stepping on pointy things is definitely a problem. I stick with boots in the woods but they're great for fields.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I played in mine last weekend; worked like a champ. Better grip than my sneakers, and much lighter. Only downside...getting weeds and sticks stuck between your toes in woodsball.
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Yeah, I think stubbing would be biggest issue...but I've always hated trying to climb over fallen trees and things in boots/trail runners. Also have some stairs I've always been loathe to go up (bit of a "sniper's" nest) because people like to hide in there and if I ever go up there you have to step down carefully for fear of slipping on way down (large feet too big for steps, size 13).

It's got baked in heavy nylon/ballistic thread or something as a flexible rock plate in center.

As for getting shot in foot... been there, done that. Play in shorts and a t-shirt most times, so not too worried about that.

Murf: which models did you play in?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

I've been eyeing up some komodos as new summer footwear. How well do the uppers in that model breathe? I want to have my feet covered but not feel like I'm wearing shoes.

As for sliding, maybe get some elbow pads or even a padded style shirt. The padding lets you use your forearms and upper body to slide, allowing you to get flatter and hustle along faster. Might make the shoe durability a non issue.
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
My roommate and I have been playing with minimalist/barefoot shoes since last year with no problems.
If I was worried about excessive wear on the top of the shoe I would look at the KSO Treks over anything because they are kangaroo leather over the nylon of the Treksports and KSOs.

I have been wearing my Treksports as my daily shoes and train MMA in the KSOs over the winter.
Trying to get myself ready for LL5 since I would like to use them there for most of the event. I am still bringing my JT cleats with me just in case.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I slide a lot too and don't think I would like the vff for paintball. I have some I wear as boat and kayak and water shoes and love them for that type of activity but i am rough on my feet when i play paintball and i think it would either slow me down a lot or I would hurt my feet. For a field that is nice and flat and groomed they may be nice but add in rocks, roots and wood debris and i don't think I would like them, plants between your toes when you run and thongs like that would bug me. I wear baseball turn cleats and love them, Reebok Quagmires .
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
plants between your toes...
Heh, funny you say that. At the end of the day I usually have to stop to pick grass out from between my toes when I play in them.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Os View Post
I've been eyeing up some komodos as new summer footwear. How well do the uppers in that model breathe? I want to have my feet covered but not feel like I'm wearing shoes.

As for sliding, maybe get some elbow pads or even a padded style shirt. The padding lets you use your forearms and upper body to slide, allowing you to get flatter and hustle along faster. Might make the shoe durability a non issue.

Breathability is good, I wore them the other day when I knew my regular shoes would get soaked anyways, dried out really quick indoors (while wearing). Only issue VFFs are well known for is their odour (especially if barefoot, rather than wearing Injinji socks). I looked up some fixes, and I went with rubbing my feet with tea-tree oil ("natural disinfectant"?) before wearing for the day, adding foot powder to shoes helps reduce sweat but makes no difference to odour. I'm not normally a "natural remedy" guy but oil seems to work well (used to be rancid after a 45 minute go on the treadmill, now I wear for 10 hours straight at University no problems). I also wash them in the washer once per week, air dry overnight.

As for sliding on knees, it's because I prefer to slide into cover while remaining in a shooting position (stock class pump). Don't bother with elbow pads.

And I agree, I am still working into them for running because my physical activity has been greatly limited due to budgetary concerns...but now I'm free of school for a couple years at least and have money again!

(If you buy them don't just run 10 miles on your first go, most people lack the foot muscles required...unless you do dance, martial arts, etc.)

In all fairness though... my trail shoes have mesh uppers and they have held up wonderfully to my sliding.

Last edited by cdrinkh20; 04-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone