mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

^Totally agree with that... and thankfully my home field consistently delivers fresh and high quality paint on a regular basis (they also have better stuff on gun owner days once a month, I like that too).
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Our field paint is also decent. Only in the winter do we have to put up with the crappy Winter Paint (which costs us more but is a necessary evil I guess).
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

what??? your paint is way better than decent!!!!!! always impressed by the high grade selection you get for pump weekend
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #44 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I've been fairly involved in a local field for almost a decade now, and basically it comes down to a few things.

1. Keeping a high enough margin to make the business sustainable. Keep in mind that the fields generally only make significant profits on Saturday and Sunday, with private groups occasionally helping balance things out on weekdays. Fields are not charities.

2. Summers basically subsidize the existence of most Vancouver fields through the winter months, and I'm sure that's the same for many other Canadian fields. Weather plays a huge role in the profitability of a field. They have to make enough money in the warm (or at least non-rainy) weather to pay the rent when the field is losing thousands per month in the Winter. Obviously, indoor fields contend with huge rent and utility costs.

3. Players are willing to pay that much. For about 65 bucks, a player can rent equipment and get 500 rounds, which is enough for about 5 hours of play on a field, as long as the field isn't designed to cater to long-balling and spray 'n pray. That is fairly reasonable for the type of experience that fields are designed to provide. More experienced players use about half the paint that a rental will shoot, unless their play style hasn't adapted to the field.

Last edited by russc; 04-19-2012 at 02:52 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rec Poster

As a broke university student and new A-5 owner this has been an interesting read. Paint prices are what worry me a lot as a new player. I have my own equipment now so I won't have to pay for rental but a day out on the field is still pricey. It makes me wonder how often I will be able to okay this season. Atl least now I know of some more fields with cheap paint, but the problem is I don't have a car
Gambit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
Defcon paintball has BYOP days. Every field in Toronto has BYOP days. You pay $15-$25 on a given day for entry and air, then bring your own paint or buy a case from their proshop for the afore mentioned $30-$60.
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #47 (permalink)
Igloo member

Yup. I love BYOP days. and Defcon is a great place, Not to mention the proshop gent. while he may be a bit sarcastic when he's around you, its because he likes you ahaha.

PS just as a note: 2 Years ago someone dropped of a NXT Shocker, it has new feedneck, new trigger, new ASA. new board. and detents.

However you never picked it up so it's been inside the proshop with the paperwork waiting for you to pick it up. Call james (proshop guy) if its you!
when I would stack water cases and what not inside the proshop in the morning i'd always see it in the side room. WHY YOU LEAVE THERE??? its such a beautiful marker.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yup. I love BYOP days. and Defcon is a great place, Not to mention the proshop gent. while he may be a bit sarcastic when he's around you, its because he likes you ahaha.

PS just as a note: 2 Years ago someone dropped of a NXT Shocker, it has new feedneck, new trigger, new ASA. new board. and detents.

However you never picked it up so it's been inside the proshop with the paperwork waiting for you to pick it up. Call james (proshop guy) if its you!
when I would stack water cases and what not inside the proshop in the morning i'd always see it in the side room. WHY YOU LEAVE THERE??? its such a beautiful marker.
James is a good guy, "a bit sarcastic" doesn't even cover it though lol.
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #49 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Defcon looks really cool, I want to check them out! They have both indoor and outdoor correct? How does the indoor stack up to the outdoor and other field's indoor fields?

Also, BYOP FTW
Gambit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Igloo member

Actually I **THINK** almost certain that they closed the outdoor location at downsview and are relocating to a easier place to be. larger field better lease.

However, the indoor is great. the regulars are awesome, there is a strong limit ammo core group of players, and Fossy (Phosy? Phosie? Fosie? ) is always there. plays good. and is probably one of the nicest guys I'v had the pleasure of reffing. (although he kept pointed his barrel at my junk. )

and yes, Sarcastic is "under stated" with james. ahahah.
I reffed at the field last summer. But hopefully I can make a few days to go to the indoor field and say hello to everyone.

Tiny: Do you own a Tarantula milled AKA?
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone