mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Tactical Hud Project (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/202969-tactical-hud-project.html)

kethdredd 05-18-2012 09:56 PM

Tactical Hud Project

Saw this over at reddit and I thought it was pretty interesting. Someone is building a HUD display integrated into a Vforce Profiler mask. The HUD unit is designed for Alpine Ski goggles. While I don't see me personally ever using one of these I think the idea is pretty cool.

Quote:

Vision

To one day step onto a paintball field and be fully comm connected with teammates, unit leadership, referee's , game scoring and other systems via an integrated digital mask.

Goals

To complete this vision the T-HUD project will research, modify and integrate commercial off the shelf (COTS) products. T-HUD will also advocate across multiple industries to promote this project and advocate for commercial assistance.

Phase 1 - Integrated Mask: Integrate available communications technology into a lightweight mask to include a HUD, radio communications and a camera. On board software will include the ability to:

Buddy track
See position on a moving map
Provide tactical orders on that map
Upload paintball field wire-frame diagrams
Connect to a camera
Track game time
Track "kill" counts
Connect to Blue Tooth enabled markers and hoppers
Consolidate and integrate voice communications
Provide power management for up to 6 hours of game play
Home - Project Blog

GunRaptor 05-19-2012 07:57 PM

Pretty neat. If he ends up marketing it, I'd love to own something like this.

subyrally 05-19-2012 08:05 PM

i could stand some shiny tech like that, lol

crazyta 05-19-2012 11:01 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the posts! The hardware is complete, now we're working on the Android App. What kind of features would you be looking for?

Donut SD 05-20-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyta (Post 2349691)
Thanks for the posts! The hardware is complete, now we're working on the Android App. What kind of features would you be looking for?

Kill count, ammo counter, team locator, proximity alert, nvg, heat, infrared, combat command uplink, Stryker interface.

In no particular order. Lol. For real nice work. I like where it's going.

subyrally 05-20-2012 07:12 PM

id like to see a link to a small gun mounted camera with IR. maybe also night vision from the mask camera projected in the mask for night games, just ideas though.

i would also like to see something like a range finder, would help for some long shots, lol.

Chachi 05-20-2012 07:18 PM

ha! I thought about doing that a few months back, even emailed the manufacturer of the HUD to suggest paintball as a possible secondary market. Basically got a... "we're focusing on alpine sports, and not broadening our reach" as an answer. I just wish I had the motivation to learn to program to help out.

foughtwolf 05-20-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut SD (Post 2349826)
Kill count, ammo counter, team locator, proximity alert, nvg, heat, infrared, combat command uplink, Stryker interface.

In no particular order. Lol. For real nice work. I like where it's going.

So long as you can deal with it being a paired set between the gun and a see-through mask insert... Eh, Ive said too much already. :gunsfiring:

Donut SD 05-21-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foughtwolf (Post 2350372)
So long as you can deal with it being a paired set between the gun and a see-through mask insert... Eh, Ive said too much already. :gunsfiring:

Go on.... :):rolleyes:

D3adpool 05-21-2012 01:52 PM

How would the mask track kill count? Said differently, how would a hit from a regular paintball generate a "kill" digital/count on the HUD? How would it differentiate between a bunker hit vs a player hit?