mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjron99 View Post
Russc, you are a walking encyclopedia of data. Thanks for sharingthis bit of knowledge.
I second this, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Seriously, this is a great crash course in filming paintball.
Tell me about it. I'm learning a few things I never even considered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Now lets talk about arch... Every shot is slightly different as the distance away changes "where" you are aiming. We aren't shooting real guns, so a 50 foot shot you have to tilt up, and a 150 foot shot you have to tilt down...

So you really need to shoot "flat" so you have the least amount of arch possible in your shots. The Apex or flatline will help with this.

I make a single + sign on my cg at the top all the way across the entire video in the center of the screen. Then adjust the ZoomCam picture frame to line up with that center point... You will have to zoom in on the footage to be able to move the shot so it is dead center. Each distance will be a different position...

Then cut out the cg where it isn't needed.

As far as your camera blowing out, you might be able to put a filter on the lens to help...
Actually, I'm shooting FS rounds in this video and, to be clear, the crosshair is not (and never likely will be) aligned (another reason to remove it I guess). However, one thing I like about this setup is that the gun camera is actually mounted to my Tiberius Adjustable Picatinny Riser. You don't see it in this video due to the close range but, when I move to long range shooting where I need to elevate, the camera will remain pointed at my target. So, the viewer may see the shot exit the top of the frame, and then re-enter the frame downrange to hit the target. Assuming that the range isn't too great for the lens to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Here's a great video that really shows what rolling shutter does to our videos. The cam on the left does have image stablization on the specs, but I'm not sure if it kicks in for videos, and it really isn't what's making the huge difference in quality.

Just about every helmet cam is going to be a CMOS rolling shutter. You can really see the stretching and skewing when I move fast in my HD808 videos, part of that is due to the fact that the sensor and lens are tiny, so it can't grab a frame as quickly as say, a GoPro.

Note the "jelly" effect on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4p6Osvf50

Here's a good explanation from rcgroups:

Now, all things considered...I think the extra resolution of 1080p is worth the slight difference in skewing in paintball footage, especially since we are watching at 30fps online anyways.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
How did you deal with the vibration and subsequent destabilization of the video signal in your gun cam? I didn't notice any shake at all?

Are you using a light recoil marker? I thought about going this route, but I want to be able to sell mine in the future, so I figured using a stock A-5 would give me the worst case scenario for firing vibration, and if I can get THAT to shoot stable, I'm on to something.

The adjustments are a bear, but I'm learning a ton each time I play.
I'm shooting my T9.1 (now in my sig). I actually turned the camera's stabilization way down or off (I'll have to double check) because with the zoom lens, it makes for some really whacked out effects (objects appear to almost stay steady while the background moves around). There are more settings in this gun camera than I've seen in most camcorders, so I've got a bunch more testing to do.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
D G
Team-PAIN

Nice. I also use leafy camo om my mask and had to sit down and really trim one side of it so it wouldn't get in the wat of my headcam. At 3:33, was did your ball break on cover just int front of you or was that spray coming out of your barrel? Do you find that players are often having a hard time calling themselves out when shot at longer ranges?
D G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Which editing software did you use to make this?

/reads whole thread

THANKS!

Last edited by vv0mp; 06-08-2012 at 03:56 AM.
vv0mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I'm trying to improve the FPV experience as well...I personally find that some of the the best goggle cam videos usually have the camera right between the eyes.

You can see this technique in MidnightAngelz', some of PistolPete93PB's, and my own videos. In fact, it's really what first set MidnightAngelz apart from anyone else (besides the play style) and made his vids exciting despite being filmed with a potato (ipod). The only problem is that there isn't really a product to fill this niche, so we either have to modify equipment or put up with clunky alternatives.

Pistolpete, from what I understand, had his contour sticking out the front of his mask like Pinnochio, but it resulted in videos like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRfj8q5bDk

Last edited by russc; 06-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Yeah, it has to be between your eyes to capture what YOU see when playing. It doesn't have to be perfectly centered, but only somewhere between your eyeballs as you will put both eyes out of a bunker so you can judge distance, and if your camera is mounted between those two points, it will pick it up what you see if it is close.

The wider the field of view, the easier it is for the viewer at home to feel like it is them playing, and for them to follow the action of the other players.

Here is some video I shot two weeks ago with my roam between my eyes but mounted on top of my visor. I've tried all over my helmet, left and right sides, and way up high on top, and this is the best I have found so far. And it is pretty easy to do with a Flex 8 full helmet, as I just use the furnished flat mount and some duct tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE17Zw1Ai-w

link for mobile viewers
Longball at Paintball Junkeez Apex 2 distance shooting ZoomCam so YOU can SEE the paint fly! - YouTube
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone