mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #131 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The intent, at least for me, when playing pump class was to prevent the BPS race that was and is open class play. I do not like that type of paintball.
Well said! The BPS race combined with the recent pump trend is something I find absolutely obnoxious.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
Tdotballers Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #132 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

The intent, at least for me, when playing pump class was to prevent the BPS race that was and is open class play. I do not like that type of paintball. When pump recreates this BPS race through the use of technology it avoids the entire purpose of playing pump. Now if you play pump for a different reason it may not for you. It does for me and I am sure I am not the only one.
You're not the only one, not by a long shot. But to be fair, if you want to play in that type of game, the rules need to be set out beforehand, so that in the end, that type of game is played. We can't blame players for playing what they want to play. Therefore it's up to the game organizers to make sure the game ends up being what it's intended to be. Just having a "pump" game will not produce the game that you and I (and many others) prefer. It will however be a little better than regular open play.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #133 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
To me, there are three types of games to play: stock class, pump, and open. Beyond that, controlling quantity of paint is the only other variable.

If you want a "primitive" game of pump, spell it out as stock class or a modification thereof. If not, deal with the Chipleys and force feed hoppers. Getting into "AT isn't allowed" or "you can only use X gun" limits your player base and will likely result in pretty crappy days of play.

If you don't want lots of paint in the air, restrict it before the game starts.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #134 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
..If you don't want lots of paint in the air, restrict it before the game starts.
yep.. and hopperball is a lot easier to enforce than bps or tech limits.

its simple: no pods or packs on the field.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #135 (permalink)
PUMP FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
You're not the only one, not by a long shot. But to be fair, if you want to play in that type of game, the rules need to be set out beforehand, so that in the end, that type of game is played. We can't blame players for playing what they want to play. Therefore it's up to the game organizers to make sure the game ends up being what it's intended to be. Just having a "pump" game will not produce the game that you and I (and many others) prefer. It will however be a little better than regular open play.
perfect point. if a game is advertised as just a "pump game" then all sorts of pumps will show up. SC, OC, MSC, stock class phantoms, open class t2's, PA snipers, mq'ed snipers, or whatever. you cant get mad because it was just advertised as a "pump game". yet, many show up and expect the gameplay to be totally different.

but as others said organizing a pump game towards one type of class would limit participation.

Last edited by pbc scpaintballer; 09-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.
pbc scpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #136 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

This is why I think these conversations are important. I know why I play pump. Not to be disparaging I honestly do not know why those who have high ROF setups for pump are playing pump. I would like to know
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #137 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I play pump these days. Even on walk on fields. Mostly because i just can't seem to get a pump group together. But I rock my 50 round hopper on either my sniper or sterling. I use less then 500 a day with the pump. Most of the time its well under that.

More recently I have been playing with my T8.1. Last time I played, last Sunday, I played most of the day with it, and I hadn't used a 100 round pod of paint. I switched at the end of the day to the sterling to let my friend try out my t8.1, and I didn't use 100 rounds with it the rest of the day. So I only used just under 200 rounds.

These days I am all about challenging my self, and using the least amount of paint possible.

So it is definitely the player, and not the marker. Because I could be out there throwing the paint with the AT on the sterling, but even when I use that a barely break into a 500 bag.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #138 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
This is why I think these conversations are important. I know why I play pump. Not to be disparaging I honestly do not know why those who have high ROF setups for pump are playing pump. I would like to know
I'm with Lohman in this boat, I genuinely don't understand it and would like to hear from you guys who play high ROF pump. What makes that style of play any different from semi? I could just be doing it wrong, but I find that I'm limited to about the same playstyle with off the break laning and angle coverage as well as the limitations in aggressive movement up the field. The only difference seems to be repositioning of the trigger to a forward position under the barrel. Am I just going about it the wrong way? This is what all the open class pump games I've taken part in seem to amount to, for me there doesn't seem to be that same fundamental difference of play that makes stock class a completely different beast.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
Tdotballers Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #139 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think most people play pump to handicap themselves a bit. I know I do. If I were in a real war fighting to the death, obviously I wouldn't handicap myself. I would be decking myself out with the most ruthless killing machine available. But paintball is a game. There is no dieing involved and therefore I like to challenge myself somewhat. The challenge makes it more fun for myself. But not everyone wants to handicap themselves to the same degree. On most paintball fields these days, if you are playing in open games, limiting yourself to any sort of pump verses electronic markers is going to give you a fairly major handicap.

It's really only in pump only games where I get a little annoyed and confused with players still playing the arms race. It's probably because I think all pump players are playing with pumps to voluntarily handicap themselves, so why are they trying to have the fastest marker on the field? But it's probably just me thinking everyone else is thinking the same way, when in fact they aren't.

For me, a true competition of sportmanship and skill would have everyone using the same technology. So once again, if that is the objective, then the organizer of the game would need to specify the level of technology (limit the technology) so that would occur.

This discussion has prompted me to think about scheduling a modified stock class only game at our field some time in the near future. I'm sure the turnout will be lower than a regular pump only game, but since it's my field, I can indulge myself to a game that will meet my criteria. We'll have to wait and see how popular the event is.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #140 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
..It's really only in pump only games where I get a little annoyed and confused with players still playing the arms race. It's probably because I think all pump players are playing with pumps to voluntarily handicap themselves, so why are they trying to have the fastest marker on the field? ...
yep.. there are two different mindsets at work. one focused on competing. one focused on having fun. I respect both - but the problems always seems to start when you mix players just wanting to have fun with players who feel the need to compete.

lots of guys have a real problem switching gears... or taking the game too seriously if you will.

now as to the whole handicap thing.. with some of the tourney class pumps available now.. it aint really handcapping anymore.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone