mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #141 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
It's really only in pump only games where I get a little annoyed and confused with players still playing the arms race. It's probably because I think all pump players are playing with pumps to voluntarily handicap themselves, so why are they trying to have the fastest marker on the field? But it's probably just me thinking everyone else is thinking the same way, when in fact they aren't..
I agree with this. If you are playing with a pump for a handicap against open class markers and have decided you want to minimalize that handicap as much as possible by making the pump as quick as possible I don't understand what the logic is that brings that same marker into pump only games. Yes I know its technically a pump.

However it leaves people like me wanting to be less inclusive. Rather than having simple "pump" games I have to figure out a way to limit paint in the air that is not simply "pump" in order to play the game I want. Obviously it was an error to think that pump would limit the paint in the air as we are seeing now.

If I wanted to play pump against open class markers I would (and sometimes do). I have no desire to buy a pump marker that is so close to an open class marker that it is only technically different.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 10-01-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #142 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
+1.. A/Ting is silly - but everyone should give it a try at least once.

now: MQ'ing and rotors on pumps... lol. now thats like putting low-profile tires on a 69 Mustang Fastback. I can't say why its wrong.. it just is.
I use a rotor on my Pyre - the AT doesn't work - it's just that for Big Games it's nice having that capacity on the gun, I guess I could find a gravity fed hopper that is large enough, I usually use a sport shot or a 50rd on the smaller games.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #143 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
This old chestnut again? Feyd........
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #144 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Wow... crazy thread...
I've read most of it, but forgive me if I seem nuts.

We've pretty well established that a pump paintball gun is one which must be manually cycled prior to each shot by some device other than the trigger.

The only answer I can see to the pump BPS "Arms Race" is a standardized format of tourney play similar in concept to auto racing (like F1 or NASCAR - though it seems odd to use them in the same sentence)

STOCK CLASS - Even Stock Class is not really "Stock" - On original Nelsons, players had to remove the grip panel to change the 12g.

Pump Class: May have a hopper, feed need not be parallel to the barrel, A/T permitted, but no Pneumatic Assist.

Now the fun part.
Limited Paint: No player may carry more than 50 paintballs onto the field of play (to be issued by officials immediately prior to each game - why not?)
Limited Air: No player may carry more than two 12g onto the field of play. (one 12g if you really wanna push efficiency).
No motorized hoppers

Prior to the event, all guns must be chronographed and checked by officials to ensure the gun meets the posted criteria.
Pump pull: no less than "X" lb (Option), and no less than "Y" inches of travel.
Prior to and after each game, any official may perform a random check on any gun used in that game.

That may address the issue in tourneys (maybe), but not on the rec fields. Perhaps a field owner could have limited paint days (I know... they make their money from paint... but it would only be sometimes), limited air games/days.

I'm tossing stuff out there, I know, but complaining about guys using too much paint, or not playing with a real "pump" will not address the issue, only ideas and arguments can do that.

Personally, I play "Pump" - I use nelson guns with A/T's, 3.5/7/9 oz bottle, and a 50 or 100-ball hopper. I use it for woodsball and speedball, and I have a lot of fun with it (I also play with mech semis, but less and less often). Why do I play this way... it's fun. Why not Stock Class - because I can't afford a stock class gun...

Off to bed...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #145 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Good observations ironnerd88.
I have been relatively quiet in my own thread. I should clarify a couple of things.
The reason I started the thread and my main point of concern is NOT pump tournaments. Those are bringing the high speed and intensity you would expect from any modern tournament. The reason for creating the thread is the toxic change of speed at the regional "pump only" big games. What used to be a relaxed and happy go lucky group is now saturated with paint flingers. The point of these pump games seems to have been lost to the youngsters. Still fun, but not the intention of the organizers.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #146 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

I understand that this was not about tourneys, but I figured I would start with the group that was the easiest to control - in theory anyway - and work my way to the free-wheeling world of Rec-Ball and Big-Games. The only ways to limit the paint-pumping madness that happens in this sport (bot semi and pump) are limits:

Limited Air: pretty much taken care of - no one refills on the field (except 12g).

Limited Paint: Limit Hopper size to 50 balls. Players can take pods onto the field, but when you A/T, you'll go though that 50 pretty quick and have to stop long enough to reload.

Limited Guns: Uhmm... not gonna work. People spend $700+ for a pump so they'll be challenged by a guy with a $200 electro... If it's a pump-only game, you'll see every pump from the lowly BE Talon to a Carter Duck.

But then again... most people say that they go pump because they want a challenge, so with those high-rate pumps out there, you have it.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #147 (permalink)

I have to say, the newer modern pumps that were originally complained about are nothing like what I play with. I use a palmer's houndstooth with A/T. I have a small hopper and a 9 oz tank. When someone comes on the field and claims they play pump, but the gun looks and works almost like an e-gun, to me it just defeats the purpose, or at least my purpose, which is to conserve paint and spend less money. Also, I like to shoot less because I feel hitting someone in 1-2 shots is much better than hitting someone in 40-50.

I also feel that skill helps me to overcome the other players who use semis and eguns. A well kept gun that shoots straight, finding the perfect spot to shoot from, and taking risks that others will not, seems to keep me ahead of the game most days.

Either way, glad to see people out enjoying the sport, even if I think they are not using guns I like
mac3kuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #148 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I use a rotor on my Pyre - the AT doesn't work - it's just that for Big Games it's nice having that capacity on the gun, I guess I could find a gravity fed hopper that is large enough, I usually use a sport shot or a 50rd on the smaller games.
yep.. I run a 200 round 9V revvy at big games... but I feel dirty afterwards. But even that is way-overkill for recball. Heck, I wouldn't put a rotor on my pumps if you paid me. I'm too afraid Velcor would smite me.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #149 (permalink)

I ran a homemade angled cram and jam stick feed yesterday with both my MVP and Jeff Orr pumps, shot less than 300 rounds. i usually shoot 300-750 in a day of play. it definitely made the game much more interesting. i had to rely more on skill, aggressiveness, and sneakiness instead of volume.

i was able to get the same or more kills as guys running rotors or sportshots on their pumps. while my pumps may have a light pump stroke (easier to stay on target), i still have to work for my kills (i do not use auto trigger).
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #150 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
I ran a homemade angled cram and jam stick feed yesterday
+ 3 classic style points

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
...with both my MVP and Jeff Orr pumps...
- 3 classic style points

dude: pawn the blasters off on some noob and hop on the vintage bus. I mean, no self-respecting Jedi uses a blaster - just saying. Its time to look into a proper light saber .. and this is definitely the right place to look.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone