mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Are the newest pump markers even "pumps" anymore? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/209095-newest-pump-markers-even-pumps-anymore.html)

maggot 07-24-2012 10:27 PM

Are the newest pump markers even "pumps" anymore?

Well I was playing devil's advocate on another site, and I am starting to believe what I have been arguing ;)
It seems like we are in the midst of a second pump arms race. Same idea as what happened early in the game when constant air and open class hoppers came to exist.
I am seeing more and more revvies, hitman mods, converted egos... etc.
At this point can the new pump markers be classified as pumps? Or are they mech semis? Instead of pulling the trigger with your right index finger (let's assume we are shooting right handed for a moment) on a mech semi, you are pulling the "trigger" with your left index finger on the pump. The trigger on the latest pump guns is just an obstacle that has to be held down so that the real trigger (pump handle) can be pulled.
Of course AT has been around a long time, but with modern internals and springing the pump stroke is lighter than that of a classic Automag's trigger pull.
In fact, many of the markers even have a trigger looking thing on the pump handle (think hitman mod).

What do you guys think about this rambling?

heinous 07-24-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggot (Post 2422115)
Well I was playing devil's advocate on another site, and I am starting to believe what I have been arguing ;)
It seems like we are in the midst of a second pump arms race. Same idea as what happened early in the game when constant air and open class hoppers came to exist.
At this point can the new pump markers be classified as pumps? Or are they mech semis? Instead of pulling the trigger with your right index finger (let's assume we are shooting right handed for a moment) on a mech semi, you are pulling the "trigger" with your left index finger on the pump. The trigger on the latest pump guns is just an obstacle that has to be held down so that the real trigger (pump handle) can be pulled.
Of course AT has been around a long time, but with modern internals and springing the pump stroke is lighter than that of a classic Automag's trigger pull.
In fact, many of the markers even have a trigger looking thing on the pump handle (think hitman mod).

you mean the current trigger with AT enabled may as well just be the same thing as a 1911 that you need to hold firmly before the gun would work? makes sense.

but on the flip side nelson guns were the first ever, and they had AT as an inherent function of the design.

ApoC_101 07-24-2012 10:31 PM

Well, ours is definitely a pump :p

sniper97 07-24-2012 10:37 PM

I almost never use the AT, but if you are out numbered, it will put an electro back in their bunker!:ROTFL:

maggot 07-24-2012 10:40 PM

yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2422119)
but on the flip side nelson guns were the first ever, and they had AT as an inherent function of the design.

Yeah, I briefly addressed nelsons (atleast from my limited experience):
"Of course AT has been around a long time, but with modern internals and springing the pump stroke is lighter than that of a classic Automag's trigger pull."

russc 07-24-2012 10:42 PM

If you want to read a massive ****storm on this exact subject, please have at it!

This thread was eventually locked, but it hits all the points you're asking about. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...iscussion.html

Bored383 07-24-2012 10:50 PM

if you have to manually cycle an action to feed another paintball into the chamber to take another shot, then its a pump

stuff like splatmasters and thumpers are push cock actions, but still a "pump" in that its 1 shot, then you physically manipulate the paintgun to load the next ball . . . same with bolt actions like a PG or a KP or a stock Nelson

everything else is a game of semantics

Hogzilla88 07-24-2012 11:47 PM

I think this is the thread he's talking about: Pump Tournament!!!!!

Careful, you might catch the stupid.

russc 07-25-2012 12:11 AM

In the early/mid 2000s, most people who played pump went a little further in handicapping themselves, because that was the point. Alot of stickfeed/stockfeed conversions, 3.5oz bottles, weird mod-stock setups. Once the cocker market crashed, they became the go-to gun and open class really came into its own, especially when pump tournaments because somewhat serious.

So yeah...pump play was a bit different and a little lower ROF 8-10 years ago, but it is what it is.

Horizon 07-25-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggot (Post 2422115)

I've been saying the same thing for a number of years now. I'm not sure why people who play that style even have a pump. A simple mechanical semi amounts to pretty much the same thing, at least from a user point of view.