mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

Send a message via AIM to BigEvil

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PBN Fan
The condensed version,

Dont give rich people charity.

BigEvil's MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil
We don't want to actually hurt you, we just want to mess with you a bit...
BigEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

AO has served a purpose to a lot of people for a long time. It has provided what it provides for free. Sometimes it falls to the hands of the users to support something as the owners are not willing to put out the cash it would require.

I can make a reasonable argument on why supporting AO is a logical choice. If you don't want to make it do not. However, if you value AO for what it is or was there is likely a reason to support it.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
I liked automags before it was cool
Automags? Pssh... WAY to mainstream.

I get my markers from a guy in Chinatown who hand-crafts them from bamboo and fair-trade rubber tree sap.

You've probably never heard of him.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I want to know whats crashing?? It's not the server, they don't own them. they have hosting. Hosting that cost them $99 a year. I bet if you checked, they haven't always been on that server host either. Which suggests that they have moved the entire site before.

Is it the software that is crashing??? Well that's just silly. Back up the tables in the sql database that have all the post information. Reinstall the software, and restore the post info. It may be a little time consuming, but it is by far not difficult.

Wiped off the net?? I call a huge BS On that one.If he backed up the sql database today, and it crashed a week later, then they would only loose a week of posts. As for the "OLD" information like the tech repository, a backup a year ago would save that. I have built a fair share of websites in my day, and write my own PHP, and SQL tables etc.. You cannot tell me that this site will be wiped off the interent if it were to crash.

Further more, If their host does not hold a backup of at least 3 days, they should switch hosts. Any host I have ever dealt with has kept at least a 3 day backup.

Site crashes, one phone call, and a techie on the other end will zap it all back.

NOW.. I want to know what is causing it to crash? It is obviously not the server beings that they pay for hosting. SO if it is the software, why not fix the problem. They are running Vbulletin. There is so much information out about that software and it is completely easy to fix issue with it.

I am no fool, and based off of the facts that I know, it sounds like some BS to get people to donate money.

If you want people to donate money to support the site, then don't lie. Just tell every one you would like to update the site, and take some of the operating costs off your shoulders, and that donations would be appreciated.

Hell, here is my donation. Tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it for free....

NOW.. Lets just say that tomorrow the site crashed and could never be put back up for some reason.. Has anyone forgot about the way back machine??? Internet Archive: Wayback Machine The entire forum is available back to the early 2000's.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

it could be that Tom is locked into a long term contract for hosting
that was based upon running the AirGunDesigns ecommerse site.
Maybe He is paying the freight out of his pocket as part of his deal with Zupan?

it is odd that these flags are set:

Domain Name:AUTOMAGS.ORG
Created On:16-Sep-1999 15:19:22 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Aug-2012 13:49:12 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Sep-2013 15:19:22 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Moniker Online Services LLC (R145-LROR)
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
it could be that Tom is locked into a long term contract for hosting
that was based upon running the AirGunDesigns ecommerse site.
Maybe He is paying the freight out of his pocket as part of his deal with Zupan?

it is odd that these flags are set:

Domain Name:AUTOMAGS.ORG
Created On:16-Sep-1999 15:19:22 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Aug-2012 13:49:12 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Sep-2013 15:19:22 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Moniker Online Services LLC (R145-LROR)
Moniker is just the domain registrar. It's $9 a year. The site is hosted on delaware.net. That site boasts $99 a year for hosting. If he was locked into some kind of contract you would think he would have some sort of support from that company.

The client delete prohibited is something that registrars do sometime to help stop domain hijacking. If you wanted to delete it or transfer it you would have to call them to unlock it. It is so some one who gains access to you account cannot just transfer it. If you look at a lot of domains you will find many of them have that. I had a domain hijacked a long long time ago, like 15 years ago. From that point on I actually look to have that flag set.

If you do a tracert, you will find this info.

66.173.241.39 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 66.173.241.39 [automags.org]

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
1 1 0 0 206.123.64.42 -

2 0 0 0 64.124.196.225 xe-4-2-0.er2.dfw2.us.above.net
3 0 0 2 64.125.26.213 xe-1-1-0.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net
4 5 5 5 64.125.31.122 xe-4-2-0.cr2.iah1.us.above.net
5 94 41 41 64.125.28.49 xe-2-1-0.cr2.dca2.us.above.net
6 32 32 32 64.125.27.29 xe-0-1-0.er2.dca2.us.above.net
7 35 35 34 64.124.202.238 64.124.202.238.t00622-01.above.net
8 39 40 40 76.160.125.9 xe-2-3-0-275.cr01.alxnvagn.cavtel.com
9 37 36 37 98.140.159.89 xe-0-3-0-0.cr02.phlapafg.cavtel.com
10 38 38 39 76.160.127.29 ge-1-1-0-0.er05.nwrkdeww.cavtel.com
11 45 39 39 66.173.172.38 static-66-173-172-38.t1.cavtel.net
12 45 45 45 66.173.241.39 241-39.delaware.net

Trace complete

It gives you the destination of 241-39.delaware.net, but also the IP address of the server with the website on it, 66.173.241.39. If you whois that ip you get this..

Whois query for delaware.net...

Results returned from whois.internic.net:

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: DELAWARE.NET
Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
Name Server: NS1.DNS.COM
Name Server: NS2.DNS.COM
Name Server: NS3.DNS.COM
Name Server: NS4.DNS.COM
Updated Date: 31-may-2012
Creation Date: 19-jan-1999
Expiration Date: 19-jan-2017

Which confirms that www.delaware.net is the host that the website is hosted on. http://www.delaware.net/Hosting.html is the hosting information. Oddly enough delaware.net's domain is registered with tucows.com. Man I remember when tucows was rinky dink in the late 90's They are big now.

My Feedback

Last edited by Mindless_Chaos; 09-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #47 (permalink)
Poe
Banned

BE is 100% correct.

TK stated the $3k is to update forum AND store since the software ties them together.

Shouldn't the store profits go to this task? Tom doesn't own the store anymore right? Who owns the forum?

I feel like most of MCB would throw a fit if that sad 'HK army' guy started taking the kiddies money to update their servers.

Feels like the same sad brand association/loyalty.
Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
I feel like most of MCB would throw a fit if that sad 'HK army' guy started taking the kiddies money to update their servers.

I doubt that I would care. Mainly because I've never had a use for their servers, and there's nothing on them that I would pay to keep.

I've used AO a lot and it still has value. Some of the best posts are from around 2004. I won't suffer if it disappears from lack of interest. Even my son can help me out when I get too old to remember things. When it crashes, Airgun Designs will probably get a new server, but if we don't care enough to get our stuff off of the server now, I doubt they will bother to put it back, probably not even start over.

Then the main losers will be the newer players that will not have those references, and the players that have invested lots of cash in wall hangers with further diminished support.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
BE is 100% correct.

TK stated the $3k is to update forum AND store since the software ties them together.

Shouldn't the store profits go to this task? Tom doesn't own the store anymore right? Who owns the forum?

Dave Zupen or Zupan(i know i have the last name wrong) runs the store.

don't think that BigEvil hasn't been aware of this, just because he hasn't posted. he has only held back in his opinion, which is shared by many.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
BE is 100% correct.

Faulty analogy. TK did more for paintball than virtually anyone. AO was a very important piece of the paintball culture in the day. Both are used in the past tense for a reason. I don't think TK would be hurt if AO went under today. He has moved on to other interests and is likely at a point in life that if AO were to go under it would cost him very little financially or emotionally.

If AO is not important to you than do not donate. However if it comes down to TK shouldering the expenses alone I think you will find it simply ceases. I appreciate the opportunity given to those who want to try to help.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone