mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #81 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

He says own's, but I doubt that. It's probably leased. Registration for the domain is up on the 19th. That's when the lease is probably up as well. If he is leasing the server, then it could cost that much, but it's a complete waste of money to lease a server for what they do. Companies that sell web hosting lease servers. They host a forum and a commerce site. You can do the same thing for a lot less with shared hosting. And even if they paid for a dedicated server, which they do not need, it would be cheaper then Leasing or owning.

There are things to do not add up. I will admit I am speculating, and perhaps this is all on the up and up. My gut feeling is that there is information omitted by tom.

If for some reason he has no choice but to "own" a server, and there is no way he can buy affordable hosting to keep AGD and AO alive otherwise instead of paying an arm and a leg for an ecommerce site and forum on an "owned" server, then I apologize for any friction I have given in this thread, and or any incorrect assumptions. Fact of the matter is, the entire website can be done for far far less then $3000 a year.

I have shared hosting. I do not have any bigtime sites on it. Its really for me to mess around with scripts, and email. I have unlimited everything. Space, domains, accounts, bandwidth, everything for under $70 a year. I can do everything needed to have AGD and AO running and do anything else I want. I can run 20 forums. and 20 ecommerce sites. And i would be spending under $100 a year.

Tom said on AO, There is no money in paintball any more. That being said, why would you keep the site on a dedicated server costing you $3000 a year????

Again, if I am wrong, Sorry.

This is the last post I will be making in this thread. I am putting down my club as the dead horse has been beaten well enough.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #82 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I never knew that so many people know more about AO than Tom.
I mean this is the internet so I know everyone on it is a expert on everything, but it's so good to know the woodwork has separated and all the AO experts showed up. Between them all, every problem in the world should be solved by noon today.
The highlight of my days is to hear so much constructive feedback.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #83 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Carter, send Tom K an email and make your offer to him, he may take you up on it, maybe not.

To everyone else. If the finances seem wrong to you, then dont help. Its that SIMPLE. I personally believe that if Tom says it costs X$ then that is exactly what is needed. If people are willing to donate to keep AO a non membership board, then let them, it isnt affecting you.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
He says own's, but I doubt that. It's probably leased. Registration for the domain is up on the 19th. That's when the lease is probably up as well. If he is leasing the server, then it could cost that much, but it's a complete waste of money to lease a server for what they do. Companies that sell web hosting lease servers. They host a forum and a commerce site. You can do the same thing for a lot less with shared hosting. And even if they paid for a dedicated server, which they do not need, it would be cheaper then Leasing or owning.

There are things to do not add up. I will admit I am speculating, and perhaps this is all on the up and up. My gut feeling is that there is information omitted by tom.

If for some reason he has no choice but to "own" a server, and there is no way he can buy affordable hosting to keep AGD and AO alive otherwise instead of paying an arm and a leg for an ecommerce site and forum on an "owned" server, then I apologize for any friction I have given in this thread, and or any incorrect assumptions. Fact of the matter is, the entire website can be done for far far less then $3000 a year.

I have shared hosting. I do not have any bigtime sites on it. Its really for me to mess around with scripts, and email. I have unlimited everything. Space, domains, accounts, bandwidth, everything for under $70 a year. I can do everything needed to have AGD and AO running and do anything else I want. I can run 20 forums. and 20 ecommerce sites. And i would be spending under $100 a year.

Tom said on AO, There is no money in paintball any more. That being said, why would you keep the site on a dedicated server costing you $3000 a year????

Again, if I am wrong, Sorry.

This is the last post I will be making in this thread. I am putting down my club as the dead horse has been beaten well enough.

Now, I'm not sure how long you've been a part of the AGD/AO family, but if Tom says they own the server, that's what he means. I've never known Tom to NOT know the specifics of something if he's talking about it.

Keep in mind - this was set up WAY back in the day, back when owning your own server was cost prohibitive.

Now, I DO agree that this cost structure seems out of whack and I was the first one to call Tom out on it. But he also said that it was going to be a move of ALL AGD services (Website, store, Forums) as well as the software updates to all of them.

We'll see what happens. Personally, I think he should have set his goal at $2k - we would have hit that easily. $3k by October is a bit of a stretch.
Dayspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #85 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

Palmers Fan
I'm watching with interest, as AO was the very first forum I signed up for when I started playing paintball again in 2003. I still visit from time to time, but really don't post much anymore. I do hope everything works out one way or the other so all of that information isn't lost.

NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #86 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just as a side note,

AO hasn't been relevant, or updated properly in years. Most of the really valuable information has migrated other places like BEO and even here. The user base of Automag users has gone down considerably over the past couple of years and the community (or what little was left of it by then) as a whole died in that big BEO/Rouge split (I can't even recall his site name). Threads over there just die, and have for a long time.
My thoughts would be that IF someone wanted to take the time to dig through all the crap, and then archive the key stuff, and by that I would say the technical mag stuff, the rest is just banter like is everywhere, it would be worth saving "maybe".

My only regret, if it went away, would be the memories. I spent many a wasted hour on that place. I say let it die it's natural death.

Last edited by punkncat; 09-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #87 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

Actually the lost of the server data several years ago lost all the forum imbedded images.

When you look at the old threads most of he referenced images are gone.

The $3k would be a start on getting a pro to wireframe and template a new site
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #88 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Per Tom K in the AO thread.

"If there is any money left over I will donate it to the Paintball Scholarship Fund. That should take care of the people on the edge."
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #89 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Just a little bit more and the goal will be reached.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #90 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
Just a little bit more and the goal will be reached.
Save Automags.org! | Indiegogo

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone