mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #221 (permalink)
Limited paint FTW

Brass N Wood Fan
I think we should be discussing the bigger crime here, the horrible placement of his goggle cam...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #222 (permalink)
Post Whore

Truth^
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #223 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
I think we should be discussing the bigger crime here, the horrible placement of his goggle cam...

For real, if you are going to film paintball, at least go out and shoot a few times with your camera mounted then go LOOK at the footage...

If

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
All I saw was hopper.
Then move the camera before you play with it in that position...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #224 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I didn't watch every second of the video but I didn't feel a dire need to because I was there. Is the amount of paint flying a bit over the top? Probably. Taking a new OR seasoned player to a big game for their first time is quite a scary thing. There are always going to be a few incidents. One problem is the ref / player ratio. There aren't enough regular field employees to cover all the ref spots so volunteers and sponsored teams take on some of it. Another issue is that of what I'll call the mob mentality. If you play in small, more personal games I think it tends to be a bit more friendly than a big game where there are huge mobs of people. It's the game format. You're playing on ALL the woods fields at once (40 acres?), have tanks roaming around, heli's, smoke, grenades, airplanes and a whole lot of controlled chaos. Overall it's quite an intimidating and overwhelming event and in the end it's not for everyone.

As far as that being the "future of paintball". No. It's become pretty clear that paintball is still evolving. It seems to be going in multiple directions. As much as I enjoy pump play, I find some irony in the fact that even with the recent growth that the organized pump events still have some of the lowest turn out of all the games I frequent. While big game attendance has seemed to decline a bit (with the sport in general), tons of people still show up. In the mix there's the "speedballers", "milsim crowd", "newbies" and all of the other factions all mixed into an odd game format.

I guess my final statement would be this. If you have a problem with something or someone in the sport, handle it with them. Bad ref at a big game? Go and tell the head ref or the owners. Problem with a player? Take a few to go and cool off and go talk to them. (I would be interested to see the guy in the video's own input on this thread). If they don't own their behavior, talk to the field owner.

Have you ever made a mistake or behaved badly on the field? I know I have. It happens, especially with adrenaline kicking. Plus I'm kind of a moron sometimes (most times?) and have a tendency to do dumb things on the field. This also means I have the occasional need to suck it up and own my BS. I have no problem being called out or apologizing to another player. I try to own it, make amends, learn from it, and not repeat it.

The point? Dunno.... just think there's a lot of complaining about people and situations that should be handled on the field at the time it happened or with the person directly... not a complaint on a random forum months after the fact where nothing will actually be done about it. The only way to improve the situation and the sport is to talk to the people who have direct influence like the field owner or the player you feel is behaving poorly.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 09-10-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #225 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
..That said, I think my point stands that the perpetuation of this kind of play is harmful to the game as a whole, not just because it scares newbies but because I feel it affects the overall quality of play for the worse.
QFT brother man... and the shelves at Walmart that used to carry pb gear are now stocked with more air soft stuff... ditto Academy Sports .. and I think Sportsmans Warehouse and Dicks already gave up trying.

I went to Academy Friday and again today and the same cases were in the exact same spots - apparently untouched all weekend. go figure.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #226 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

We could acknowledge that this much paint in the air may be detrimental to the sport and discuss it. Again we cannot fault a player (too much) for playing to the limit of what the rules allow, especially considering "sportsmanship" clauses have effecitvely been dropped.

Its too bad. Once upon a time the rules were simple "don't wipe, call for a paintcheck if you can't see it, be nice". Now we have expanded the definition of a hit, a wipe, a painthcheck, the duties of the ref. We seem to have forgotten play nice.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #227 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
... We seem to have forgotten play nice.
yup... public fields any way. reason #1 private outlaw fields are making a come back.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #228 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Please.

The entire basis of this thread is a personal attack on a player. It's not even a "Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this?" type thread.

Not only is the premise baseless and typically irrational, the attack is tacitly approved by the complete lack of rebuke for anyone calling him a "douche".

Or is this one of those, "It's OK if it's a PBN mod?" deals?
Enjoy your vacation.

Please don't flame the guy in the video if he is a member here, tx.

Last edited by Mar; 09-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #229 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
yup... public fields any way. reason #1 private outlaw fields are making a come back.
Oh i agree with both of you 157%
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #230 (permalink)
NSPB Russel Peters

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Totally agree with u russ . These guys gota learn to aim not spray! And everyone has to learn how to do a mid air John woo kill. (inside joke) :P

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone