mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #361 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

What if Gokart tracks made all of their money on gasoline sales? Would they ever ask their customers to go slower? Paintball's a really weird industry in that it's so reliant on paint sales for profits.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #362 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
What if Gokart tracks made all of their money on gasoline sales? Would they ever ask their customers to go slower? Paintball's a really weird industry in that it's so reliant on paint sales for profits.
I think this is where fields make mistake. Are you selling the product (paint) or are you selling the experience? I would argue they are selling the experience (hence why they have a field and not just a store front) and as such need to understand the difference.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #363 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just make it byop and charge me more entry. I'm a really picky player I don't like using paint I don't know or like and I can't trust that they know how to store it properly.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #364 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Just make it byop and charge me more entry. I'm a really picky player I don't like using paint I don't know or like and I can't trust that they know how to store it properly.
Here is the thing about that though - BYOP allows players to pick up the absolute cheapest possible paint and overcome it with ROF.

For people like me who think too much paint in the air is a bad thing (though I can't really define exactly what too much is) high entry + cheap paint are exactly what I do not want.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #365 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Personally I think BYOP events should take a lesson from restaurants and have a "corking fee" or whatever it is called when you bring your own wine for an event. You still supply it but they effectively charge you their markup anyways. So it would allow you to bring your own paint but you would have to pay $X per case for any you brought in.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #366 (permalink)
Post Whore

Oh I would still have limited paint just bring your own.

I suppose that's difficult to police though
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #367 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The issue is that this style has been bleeding into those "perfect" fits lately... And by lately im pretty much describing the last 8 or so years..

Ive never liked speedball so i dont play it.
Stuck mostly to the scenario/woodsball scene.
But then speedball started bleeding into it, messing up that "perfect" fit of mine.
Pump play became attractive, but then everyone decided they must run agitated hoppers and autotrigger, and bringing in that same mentality.
Milsim scene is still clean of this, but who knows how long it will last?
I already skip at least one major "mixed play" scenario, because of that.
How long it will be until i will have to quit altogether because a certain strata of players, and their sycophants, giddily employ a tactic, that essentially the same as walking over and punching the opponent in the back of the head?
You sound like a librarian talking about the internet making books obsolete. It's rather funny, actually.

Newsflash: Things change. Either you change and adapt to the new mentality or you go play outlaw stock class ball in the woods with the other old farts. Vote with your wallet and have fun.

EMPIRE AXE - REDLINE OLED
LURKER EIGENBARREL - EIGENBOSS BOLT
CRITICAL AXIOM TRIGGER - NANO FEEDNECK
EMPIRE Z2 - NINJA 50/4500
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #368 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Either you change and adapt to the new mentality or you go play outlaw stock class ball in the woods with the other old farts.
If we're destined to just progress faster and harder, why did the PSP back its ROF down to 10 and then 12.5?

Newsflash: sometimes progress isn't a good thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #369 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
If we're destined to just progress faster and harder, why did the PSP back its ROF down to 10 and then 12.5?

Newsflash: sometimes progress isn't a good thing.
IIRC, part of the point was to ensure that skill had at least something to do with it anymore, as well as being easier to pick out the guys who were cheating.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #370 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

/\ That was the point of the original NXL full auto mode at 15bps. It backed them down from 20+ bps with cheater boards.

here's a relevant post by raehl back in 2004.

Quote:
after talking to some of the NXL refs and a few of the players, the real effect has been to ENHANCE game play. It's a little easier to move since there's less paint in the air, which is good, and the refs are not getting annihilated so bad while doing their jobs. And you still gotta be able to point your gun in the exact right direction at the right time, which is where the real skill is.
And this is before the drop to 10 and 12.5. All I'm saying is, progress doesn't necessarily mean we have to accept that there's going to be more and more paint in the air, and we have to accept that games are going to be more and more hardcore. Technology shouldn't dictate play, and the PSP has been bang on with their assessment and adjustment of the game, IMO.

Also, the PSP's choice to back ROF down has had a trickle down effect on ramping players in rec play, since PSP is a standard mode on many guns, and is allowed while uncapped semi and F/A often aren't. That's one of the reasons I'm perfectly fine with ramping - if anything, it decreases fire on the field compared to uncapped semi.

In the end though, it comes down to individual players avoiding being dicks. You can overshoot with a pump shooting 2 balls a second.

Last edited by russc; 10-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone