mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which is the best way to mount a Gopro?
On top of your mask in the dead center. 16 61.54%
On the barrel of your marker. 4 15.38%
On the side of your mask that you dominantly shoot on. 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Best way to mount a Gopro

Got a Gopro the other day. What is your opinion on best place to mount from the viewer's pov. (I use a hopper for most of my markers, excluding my pgp.)
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by TrueTexan; 09-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I like the side of the mask mount, it works. If you have the coin get 2, one for the mask one for the barrel. *Side Note* This was when using my Contour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Top of the mask, unless you use a big *** hopper, in which case...buy a Contour.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

I voted for Top of mask. My crew recently got a GoPro, and we had a practice day to figure out how to use it before we go to a big game next week.

We primarily only used the Barrel mount that day b/c we didn't want to perma mount the attachment to our mask.

Two downsides to Barrel mount (that i have had expereince with).

First: Most players play w/ their barrel pointed down most of the time. I do not, so i took the burden of the cam. (which leads to point two)

Downside with the mask mount, if you run a fan...remeber to turn it off when you don't need it "hrrrmmmmmmmmmmmuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuummmmm uummmmmm" is all you will hear the whole video...

Second, the circle clamps that came w/ the one we got absolutely kill all sightlines along your barrel. Find a way to get the little clamp screws out of your view and it might be okay.

Also, looking for some advice from you GoPro experts, what settings to use? We initially didn't change any of the base settings, we just hit "record". The results seemed a bit too wide-angle and not very easy to see whats going on down-range. After looking through menu, i noticed a "narrow" and "medium"...does that help it be a bit zoomier and less wide-angle?
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anything but barrel cam. Barrel cams spend more time pointed at the ground or shoved into a bunker. Mask mounts will always be pointed wherever the player is focusing their interest. Barrel cams are also pretty shaky whenever the player is moving.
maveric101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

GoPro Hero Mounting-The Tutorial

Here is how I've mounted mine. Works really well. The camera to the side of my mask(I do this on my grill when I decide to use it) feels very awkward. On top, I just tighten my strap down and I forget about it.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I used your mounting Josh. It works ok. The camera bounces around a lot though. Any remedies for this?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
I used your mounting Josh. It works ok. The camera bounces around a lot though. Any remedies for this?
I found putting a second strap on helped this a lot. Josh's technique is probably my favorite.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I bought a new frame as my old white ones were wearing out, and that helped a lot with how sturdy they were. I also put hard ear pieces on my mask and it has done wonders. Double strapping works really well too. Lots of solutions.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
if you get a handelbar/seat post mount, you can invert the recording in the gopro menu and record with it under your barrel without it getting in the way of anything at all, and get a good view.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone