mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Is high end measured in something besides performance? It is theoretically possible to make a VW Bug (the old ones - install a 454) have the performance of a Corvette but that would not make it a high end car IMO. High end, like it or not, denotes luxury items and part of it involved others perceptions of it.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

High End != (Good or Bad), it is just price segregation.
Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
....posts like this will forever keep the divide and stereotypes. we all play paintball, let's just keep it between those that play and those that don't. .....
We do? Seems like some of us just buy and sell guns.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Is high end measured in something besides performance? It is theoretically possible to make a VW Bug (the old ones - install a 454) have the performance of a Corvette but that would not make it a high end car IMO. High end, like it or not, denotes luxury items and part of it involved others perceptions of it.
yes i believe it includes build quality, features, and staying power (can run hard without breaking), as well as performance. thats why the post confused me because the axe has all of that.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Why would you buy a Cadillac when a Focus that cost a third the money will work just as well?

Often it's more comfort, finer attention to detail, fancies that the cheaper car doesn't offer. Same with paintball guns, or anything pretty much.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
^Bingo. Do you want fancy milling, high efficency, tons of programming options, barrel kits, so on and so forth. Thats what the differences are. Yes both a Mini and an Geo fire paintballs really well performance wise they are equal, it's the extras you get when you spend more (if it is what you want).

Do you want a hammer or an electric hammer, each will get the job done. One costs more then the other.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
AKA Doughnut Holeschtein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
we all play paintball, let's just keep it between those that play and those that don't. who cares if its a different forum.
Hey ... I don't play .. much
OldGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Why would you buy a Cadillac when a Focus that cost a third the money will work just as well?

Often it's more comfort, finer attention to detail, fancies that the cheaper car doesn't offer. Same with paintball guns, or anything pretty much.
I agree but you guys are calling the axe the focus in this example, when its more like a cadillac vs a bmw. The axe does not only have equal performance, it also has all of the other features and build quality that the geo or whatever has. It has a clamping feedneck, purging asa, all the tournament modes, lacking a barrel kit I guess so you can argue that one. It is milled down, lightweight and all that jazz. I dont understand the argument of it not being on par aside from name and price.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I agree but you guys are calling the axe the focus in this example, when its more like a cadillac vs a bmw. The axe does not only have equal performance, it also has all of the other features and build quality that the geo or whatever has. It has a clamping feedneck, purging asa, all the tournament modes, lacking a barrel kit I guess so you can argue that one. It is milled down, lightweight and all that jazz. I dont understand the argument of it not being on par aside from name and price.
I believe then, that the perception of high end is based more on high price tag and relative exclusivity/rarity, rather than true performance. The axe may be able to hold its own vs all the more expensive and rare markers, but it's not perceived as high end simply because its more affordable and in wide use.

The term "high end" may also be subjective to the user's perceptions. I shoot autocockers almost exclusively, and will bring out my Evolution now and then. It was and is considered by some to be a high end mech, yet I've gotten a few looks of bewilderment from younger players, wondering how I have the courage the play against the high rof electros with a simple mech that cannot ramp.

I've never played with a true electro, but I personally consider them all high end when compared to my autocockers. I just saw an intimidator up close for the first time, and that beast seems very high end compared to my Evo.

mcb feedback
Customcockers.com feedback
Mostly mechanical autocockers

Last edited by paintballedbackin88; 09-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.
paintballedbackin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
If you're buying a $1500 Redux, you've probably been playing for a fair amount of time, and you may tend to appreciate the marker more. If you're buying a $1500 electro, chances are you're trying to outshoot someone or its what everyone else is using on the field. Or, in the case of my field, you're a 14 year old kid who cries to his mommy that he wants this gun so he doesn't get made fun of for having a model that was released a year or two ago. Granted, there are some exceptions to both cases.
This is such a load. Your disclaimer is kind of pointless, just tell us that's how you really feel and get it overwith.

I own an Upgraded Axe and I love it and appreciate it greatly; however I would pay more for a Luxe because the aesthetics are beautiful to me and it comes with a freak back stock. Good design is like artwork, you may not like how it looks, but you can appreciate the process and time and thought that was put into it.

EMPIRE AXE - REDLINE OLED
LURKER EIGENBARREL - EIGENBOSS BOLT
CRITICAL AXIOM TRIGGER - NANO FEEDNECK
EMPIRE Z2 - NINJA 50/4500

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER; 09-17-2012 at 10:05 PM.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone