mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   I played on a commercial field today (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/214876-i-played-commercial-field-today.html)

Lohman446 09-30-2012 09:02 PM

I played on a commercial field today

For the first time in about two years.

I played four woodsball games in about two hours. I rode my bike there and had a great ride after to meet my wife for lunch.

I scored two or three eliminations, was eliminated once, and was involved in taking the flag once.

I was using a stock class marker against open class markers.

I was NEVER overshot . While I was obviously outgunned and ramping was allowed it was really not out of hand.

I witnessed NO cheating.

I had fun on a commercial field. Maybe things are getting better :). Maybe I just take myself less seriously.

MaD 09-30-2012 09:18 PM

You should come out to HSI pump day next weekend. :D

thumper 09-30-2012 09:28 PM

Hey not all commercial fields are out of hand.

Lohman: I'll venture to guess that the field you visited had a trained staff of adult veteran players and an owner that has the guts to develop a culture of good sportsmanship into his/her business.

Its the fields that don't notice the fox in the hen house that suffer.

DocsMachine 10-01-2012 05:23 AM

I had a similar experience this summer. It wasn't a commercial field, as such, but it was the first time I'd played in at least two years, if not three or more.

We haven't had a commercial- or even "organized outlaw"- field in my area in years, so I had my doubts. I figured it'd all be kids used to playing in backyards with little or no rules, etc.

I was rather surprised. The organizer paid some attention, and the reffing was done by a local team down from the city. Teams were well split- and often shuffled- as to player skill and equipment level, gog and bag rules pretty well enforced, etc.

The neutral zone was a tad closer to the playing area than I'd have preferred (about 75-80 feet from the edge of the field, no netting) but that was in part due to the terrain (sort of a terraced parking area.)

No one complained about getting yelled at about the goggles (and there was surprisingly little of that) there was minimal overshooting despite a fair number of higher end markers along with the usual Tippies and Spyder clones, and I saw no indications of cheating.

And now there IS a new commercial field just opening, so I'm finally looking forward to playing more, next summer. :D

Doc.

Mindless_Chaos 10-01-2012 10:43 AM

It really has a lot to do with the ref's.

This will equal a better play experience.. in my experience. So if the ref's:
  • Really really explain the rules with conviction. Especially to Rentals.
  • Make sure that every new player that walks on the field knows the rules too.
  • Stay consistent with the rules.
  • Walk the field constantly during play.
  • When you tell players they will sit out a game if they lift their mask, or come off the field without their BBD in place, make them site out a game. Don't just let them slide.
  • Split the teams evenly, based on amount of players, and observed skill level.
  • Use some sort of colored tape to define teams.
  • Once you have a good split of teams, keep them instead of always switching it up. (only switch when necessary.
  • Most important. Really stress fair play, and courtesy amongst players.

Play will be good.

When the ref's are lazy and don't do their job and just hang out, or they don't explain the rules well, or don't tell every one, that's when play gets loose.

When I started playing paintball, the local field I played at they were really good at explaining the rules, and not only did all the ref's explain the rules well, they all explained it the same way. So it was consistent.

I have seen ref's that stand on the side lines and basically watch, and that's when things happen that are not completely good play. If there are a couple of people in a bunker, and tons of fire on that bunker by the other team, the ref should be on a B line for that bunker to paint check. You shouldn't always have to yell paint check. Ref should always be close to where the most action is.

Also, when colored tape is not used, that also creates problems between teams... Who is on my team? especially if they keep mixing up teams. It doesn't matter so much if every one playing is a group, experienced and knows each other, but if it's all walk on, you need tape.

gainman 10-01-2012 11:15 AM

4 games in 2 hours? that sucks

Brother Jerry 10-01-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainman (Post 2490988)

All depends on the games....if they were 30 minute games with respawn....then not bad. But often games are about 20 minutes and if you are with a rental crew then often times between games they go back out to safe area as there is always someone who needs paint or air, or the port-a-pottie. There is another 10-20 minutes in between games.

This is where the veteran can shine and compliment the new players, provide tips and suggestions and critiques of performance. Many times the time off of the field can be just as important as the time on the field.

Lohman446 10-01-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainman (Post 2490988)

Woodsball. 25 minute games. Big enough field that flanking is a real possibility. I would estimate about 20 people per team.

thumper 10-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lohman446 (Post 2491010)
Woodsball. 25 minute games. Big enough field that flanking is a real possibility. I would estimate about 20 people per team.

sounds fun. im in

Brother Jerry 10-01-2012 11:40 AM

Yeah Ditto....Have not had a chance to get out much this year...and last month when I tried the field was closed....then on the way home was in car accident...so the day sucked...I need to get out and play.