mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Winter gear, what do you use? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/215232-winter-gear-what-do-you-use.html)

240SX 10-04-2012 06:49 PM

Winter gear, what do you use?

So for those of us who actually get snow in the winter and still play paintball in it, do you have a certain setup that you use for winter only? Put the electro on the shelf and pick up the mech? I'm planning on playing this winter and we get a nice bit of snow, and I am wondering what everyone's winter setup is?

tarakian 10-04-2012 07:03 PM

When I played in the winter, it was MontNeel all the way. Liquid in winter is the way to go.

LibertyRadeon 10-04-2012 07:07 PM

Any pump does great - electros and mechs tend to chop quite a bit when it really gets cold, even with winter paint.

shredxcam 10-04-2012 07:50 PM

Winter paint
Long johns
Pump
Beanie
In sub 30 degree weather my balaclava thingy
Wool socks
Gloves/mintens

idkfa 10-04-2012 08:41 PM

I used to play a lot in the winter back home. Avoid spoolies. Avoid anything with a cyclone. Inline blowbacks are probably the best. Nelsons work well too, I remember playing with a Trracer and found it quite reliable.

It doesn't get that cold in NL, you just have to keep as dry as possible. I usually wore long johns under my paintball pants, winter boots, and a long sleeve tee under whatever jersey/top I was wearing. Keep your feet dry, the rest of you will be warm enough from running around. I often started with a hoodie, but within a game or two it was off.

Chappy 10-04-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2494921)
Inline blowbacks are probably the best.

Agreed. We play every year on the 1st of the year, and a few times its been 30* and snowing. The 98's, procarbs, and of course my montneels hum away like they were born in the arctic:D

As for clothes, I wear some cabella's underarmor knockoff's, some red ledge windpants, and bdu's. I can lay in the snow all day and not get cold. Wool socks over underarmor cold weather socks keep my feet warm even if they are soaking wet.

Manning 10-04-2012 08:54 PM

I primarily play only in the cold. We played a game a year ago in single digits (farenheit) during a snow storm and all the spoolies broke down and didn't want to play. My mech spyder kept on throwing paint down range though. Most electros were ok when it was sub freezing but once we got into the 20's you'd see em start dropping out.

For clothes I use my army issue polypros under some sweats and then the bdu pants and jacket. Top it off with some gloves and a balaclava and winter army issue tanker boots and I'm nice and toasty but set up to start ripping off layers if and when I get overheated. We prefer the winter weather for pball as it helps keep the swamp *** in check. :D

98ssuck 10-04-2012 08:54 PM

I wear as much padding as possible because it keeps me warm and winter paint hurts. I find classic mags work good when not using co2. Where I live it doesn't get very cold maybe -5 c. I avoid cotton like the plague

monty 10-04-2012 09:03 PM

Years ago I tried and had a miserable time because I wasnt really prepared. Then this past winter I tried again in both outlaw and field games and did it on the cheap.

Winter paint,
Cheap long johns (~10$) from Zellers work fine for me.
layers of t-shirts, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt. Bring extra clothes so you can change at the end of the day. Your gonna sweat and once those layers get wet, you need to change.

Pump, or simple semi, avoid electro anything. Spyders, Mavericks seem to work fine for me.

hat, extra hat. if you head gets wet and cold, I guarantee you will get sick fast.

Scarf, its a great reason to wear a old neck guard too

socks, preferably wool or cotton and bring extra pair you will need to change it.

gloves, depending how cold, i wear full fingered or cut.

winter boots, again, dont need to get fancy, I bought a cheap pair from walmart, the ones you can remove the insert, thats the best because you can swap them out for dry inserts and dry out the others in the meantime.

The main challenge is fields often don't offer a good rest area. When we played outlaw it was a blast because we had a heated tent real close so we could warm up and dry out between games.

monty 10-04-2012 09:05 PM

Oh and HPA of course, unless you have a gun that likes liquid.