mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #81 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

In my experience its a combination of knowing where to stop and where to not, along with colors that blend well. Personally, i've found this combination to work well. Light green patterned button up shirt from Goodwill, OD Green GI pants, (in fall i switch to real-tree pants, and brownish patterned shirt) and mask paint for the season (i have several "spares").

To the people who've said things like, just have dark colors and such. In my experience, the darker something is, the quicker i see it. I've generally found that things like camo need to be a bit lighter in shade than you think b/c once you get into a woods, everything looks darker than it did by itself because you are under branches and such that are blocking the direct light. This also allows for fewer contrast lines with lighter objects behind you wherever you are hiding/moving.

Also as stated, its knowing when/how to move. I've had alot of moments where i knew for sure i was dead, then they turned and walked away b/c they didn't see me. I spend most of my woods time doing flanks and maneuvers, and most forms of camo help more than they hurt.

To a slight contrast to one thing that some have said, i've found that some rather unconventional color schemes (not exactly natural) can be incredibly useful in a wooded environment (so long as it doesn't have much black).

Masks and Guns are the first things i usually see when looking for someone, if you're not going to attempt to camo those, camo clothes will only be marginally helpful.

My 2 cents.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #82 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

We used to play find the sniper

we would have our ghillie guy stand by a tree
we would face the other way for a 30 count
then turn and try to spot him in the woods.

your instinct is to look for him behind things

His form breaking camo gear made him blend into the foreground,
so you started looking for a barrel or a mask glint

if he was tone tuned to the environment, he was really hard to spot, and we knew he was there.
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
Post Whore

I agree with pinhead. The issue I've run Into is of your not willing to have several masks or are unable to have several camo patterned clothes for various seasons and environments. I only own one mask and one gun. I have camo wrap for the gun. That wrap changes depending on where I play. The as for the first mask I have various scrims or shemaghs for wherever im playing. I wear it around my kneck and drape it over the my head when it's time to hunker down. Beyond that I find just wearing a multi terrain pattern is fine most of the time. You got to remember most people are not trained and have short attention spans. So really all you gotta do is blend in just slightly better than the guy next to yo which iisn't hard. And then theyl all shoot at him and never pay you any attention.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #84 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

So, i finally watched the non-blip version of that (couldn't be bothered to look it up before)

Umm, correct me if i'm wrong, but they were walking in from a grassy, open (and SUNNY) area...into what would look like (from their perspective) into a very dark bushy area. They would not have been able to see through that bush until they got out of the bright open area...just about where you shot them is where they might have finally might have been able to see you. Not really the case you make it seem in your description...i wouldn't call that "hiding in plain sight."

In this particular situation, it is likely you could have been wearing more or less anything, including a clown suit, and b/c of the physics of them walking into 'dark' wooded area from a very bright clear area, they would not have been able to see diddly squat. I personally avoid going from very light areas into a bushy dark area for this very reason, you can't see JACK until you are past the first bush (which they weren't).

I like Keeblers reference to the "just don't be the wounded Gazelle" theory. So True.

But when ever i question just how much someone could have seen when i ambush them, i go back with someone (usually my brother) and reenact the circumstances. Here are some examples of me going back and looking at what could be seen from the other side. (in this one, it was my bro who ambushed me, then called out b/c he though i could see him after his hopper fell off)

Here is the link to the facebook album and description of the event. Just click "next" to see the other pics of the incident. This also shows that it is always easier to look out from a shaded area than into one.

Jeremy Nickoson's Photos | Facebook
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #85 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
I wear white empire pants and a white jersey, I get spotted a little more easily, but not loads. If anything, dark colors are the way to go
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #86 (permalink)
12 lbs seldge can fix it!

Send a message via Yahoo to capt_cupcakes

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
The eye sees move ment, I've gotten away with neon green and slowly sneezing my way up. Wear what ever but watch where your opponent is looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
Bit of PB Wisdom "If it ends in '-ocker' and it is working; leave it the hell alone"
capt_cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #87 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I played the role of 'Sniper' for several years; I'd have to say that camo makes a difference. Both from the number of times that people walked by me (within 30') and from the number of times I spotted someone in a blue jersey that was moving through a tree line (who I am sure I would have otherwise missed).

Additionally, camo/ghillies are not just for static players. My favorite play in woods games was to dash head to mid course and hide. My partner, the rabbit, would run up a little slower, pass me, and look for the enemy line. Once contact was made, he'd fall back past me to the rest of our team's line (but slow enough to draw the others along his path). Once the fire fight started I'd drop in on their rear and break their ranks.

I also spent a great deal of time about 15' to the side of an assault squad. Once they engaged the enemy, I'd push through to their rear. The ghillie worked wonderfully to avoid detection. It's easy to talk about the number of players that you spotted, but how many camoed players have seen you and decided not to engage?
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #88 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I agree with pinhead. The issue I've run Into is of your not willing to have several masks or are unable to have several camo patterned clothes for various seasons and environments. I only own one mask and one gun.
I built a modular ghillie suit that allows me to completely change the color palate in under 20 mins. It works great and it works anywhere.

I took the head-shroud off for this picture, use your thumb and watch me disappear. (This wasn't at a paintball game, it was during a stakeout to catch a stalker who was harassing my sister. I was 10' away and he didn't see me.)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #89 (permalink)
Post Whore

What happens if you were to play urban?
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #90 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I just take all the panels off. It takes 5 mins to remove everything down to the base BDU.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone