mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Problems i have with myself and paintball... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/215440-problems-i-have-myself-paintball.html)

ogti9g9 10-07-2012 04:53 PM

Problems i have with myself and paintball...

Im looking for help mainly, this is just the convayance of thoughts...

I have only played paintball 6 times in the span of 4 years, if been offered a spot on a team, but havent taken it yet.

I find myself not really enjoying the sport as one should ( from my understanding. )

Ive had 37 different markers and havent found really any joy in owning any, infact, it makes me more depressed then anything else. Every once in a while i sell all my markers or trade them and try to get a new marker, but i usually trade them all for older markers. I like older markers better because i belive newer markers are just to darn mainstream and i feel like i get put into a "class" with a new marker. And when i get old markers, they either work fine or never work at all, and when i have a working marker, it usually leaves my hands not working. I really want to just get one marker but at the same time, i would be bored with it in two days...

When i play i enjoy playing, but when i do, im always plauged with working on my marker once or twice or having to purchase a rental.

What is wrong with me?

Should i find another hobby?

idkfa 10-07-2012 05:00 PM

I have felt overwhelmed at times, especially when collecting and tinkering superseded playing. Get a few guns field ready so you can actually play when you want to.

martix_agent 10-07-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2497238)
I have felt overwhelmed at times, especially when collecting and tinkering superseded playing. Get a few guns field ready so you can actually play when you want to.

Exactly. I used to own quite a few markers, and started to feel like you. then I bought 2 or 3 solid markers that always worked and I'm MUCH happier

tippmannrocker90 10-07-2012 05:13 PM

Maybe try keeping one gun that you do not mess with (regardless of how tempting it is) so that if one of your other guns that you tinker with goes down you will always have "old faithful." I do this with my 98C- I leave that gun and don't mess with it at all and it has actually saved me many times when other guns have broken (played a whole Viper 24hr game w/ my almost stock 98c)

DocsMachine 10-07-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Should i find another hobby?
Probably. But that doesn't necessarily mean leaving the sport forever.

It wasn't that long ago that I had kind of a burnout. I've been handling paintball guns and building parts for 'em as a day job since 1998, and at some point I just got sick of it.

I didn't leave- since, after all, it's my day job and I hate flipping burgers :D - but I wasn't as interested as I once was. So while I kept working- the economy slowing things down a little kind of helped :D - I focused on spending more time doing projects for myself.

I rebuilt some machine tools, worked on my cars, built a marker or two for myself, fixed up the shop a bit... last year I built (on a very weak budget) a musclecar... Basically I started living for myself, rather than the job.

I also started expanding into doing more than just PB machinework, and now a fair chunk of what I do is small-lot contract work, much of which has nothing to do with paintball.

And finally, this year, a new field opened up (we haven't had a dedicated field in my area in years) and I found myself very enthusiastic about the sport again. I've dusted off several of my own projects, bought a couple of new ones, started making plans for more... :D

Doc.

Nobody 10-07-2012 05:28 PM

well steen, what do you want? sometimes stepping away can be a good thing. whether its a month or a year, just unpluging so to speak can reaffirm what you like or dislike about paintball. hell, having one gun working but also having one or two projects can settle both down.

only you know the right answer. if you step away and find something new, then its all good. paintball isn't for everyone. for every hobby, there are loads that tried it, got into it but then after a couple years, lost interest. craigslist is full of that. its all a matter of what you want and you would like. gas powered remote cars have the tinker ability as well as RC planes and boats. you don't get the rush of shooting someone but the customization is huge.

so don't feel bad. just go forward and don't look back if paintball looses to something else.

Falcon16 10-07-2012 05:30 PM

I'd agree with what some posters have said. Find a few reliable markers that you don't tinker with that always work and it'll help ease what you're feeling. I know personally for me I'm just happy having a bag of 4 markers that always work when I pull the trigger. I personally am NOT the tinkering type so if a marker doesn't work for me I usually know it's a relaitvely simply fix but I'm ham fisted so I usually sell off a marker if it's got something that would require a complete teardown and rebuild to fix. I just don't have the aptitude for it. With that said I've found especially for markers like my PG that I only need 1 tool to tear it down and that's a valve tool. But most of my markers it's usually a quick lube and clean and then put away and they never fail me. I'm hoping the new GoG gun I pre ordered will be as reliable but hey it's a mech spoolie so it shouldn't have too many gremlins as there are only a few orings and not too many moving parts really not to mention no electronics to go bad.

boltaction 10-07-2012 06:12 PM

Buy an automag.

ogti9g9 10-07-2012 06:14 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and help!

( only you know the right answer. if you step away and find something new, then its all good. paintball isn't for everyone. for every hobby, there are loads that tried it, got into it but then after a couple years, lost interest. craigslist is full of that. its all a matter of what you want and you would like. gas powered remote cars have the tinker ability as well as RC planes and boats. you don't get the rush of shooting someone but the customization is huge. )

Thats another problem i have... ive been into paintball, rc airplanes, guitars, home studio recording, working on computers and electronics, and many other things and i cant seem to find one i want to stick to... i always end up getting depressed in the end...

martix_agent 10-07-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogti9g9 (Post 2497299)

Thats another problem i have... ive been into paintball, rc airplanes, guitars, home studio recording, working on computers and electronics, and many other things and i cant seem to find one i want to stick to... i always end up getting depressed in the end...

just means you have to look elsewhere.