mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Problems i have with myself and paintball...

Im looking for help mainly, this is just the convayance of thoughts...

I have only played paintball 6 times in the span of 4 years, if been offered a spot on a team, but havent taken it yet.

I find myself not really enjoying the sport as one should ( from my understanding. )

Ive had 37 different markers and havent found really any joy in owning any, infact, it makes me more depressed then anything else. Every once in a while i sell all my markers or trade them and try to get a new marker, but i usually trade them all for older markers. I like older markers better because i belive newer markers are just to darn mainstream and i feel like i get put into a "class" with a new marker. And when i get old markers, they either work fine or never work at all, and when i have a working marker, it usually leaves my hands not working. I really want to just get one marker but at the same time, i would be bored with it in two days...

When i play i enjoy playing, but when i do, im always plauged with working on my marker once or twice or having to purchase a rental.

What is wrong with me?

Should i find another hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Step 1: plant trees
Step 2: wait
---
No bunkers necessary, and your yard will look lovely!

My feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I have felt overwhelmed at times, especially when collecting and tinkering superseded playing. Get a few guns field ready so you can actually play when you want to.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I have felt overwhelmed at times, especially when collecting and tinkering superseded playing. Get a few guns field ready so you can actually play when you want to.
Exactly. I used to own quite a few markers, and started to feel like you. then I bought 2 or 3 solid markers that always worked and I'm MUCH happier
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
not your average redneck

Maybe try keeping one gun that you do not mess with (regardless of how tempting it is) so that if one of your other guns that you tinker with goes down you will always have "old faithful." I do this with my 98C- I leave that gun and don't mess with it at all and it has actually saved me many times when other guns have broken (played a whole Viper 24hr game w/ my almost stock 98c)
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
tippmannrocker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Should i find another hobby?
Probably. But that doesn't necessarily mean leaving the sport forever.

It wasn't that long ago that I had kind of a burnout. I've been handling paintball guns and building parts for 'em as a day job since 1998, and at some point I just got sick of it.

I didn't leave- since, after all, it's my day job and I hate flipping burgers - but I wasn't as interested as I once was. So while I kept working- the economy slowing things down a little kind of helped - I focused on spending more time doing projects for myself.

I rebuilt some machine tools, worked on my cars, built a marker or two for myself, fixed up the shop a bit... last year I built (on a very weak budget) a musclecar... Basically I started living for myself, rather than the job.

I also started expanding into doing more than just PB machinework, and now a fair chunk of what I do is small-lot contract work, much of which has nothing to do with paintball.

And finally, this year, a new field opened up (we haven't had a dedicated field in my area in years) and I found myself very enthusiastic about the sport again. I've dusted off several of my own projects, bought a couple of new ones, started making plans for more...

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

well steen, what do you want? sometimes stepping away can be a good thing. whether its a month or a year, just unpluging so to speak can reaffirm what you like or dislike about paintball. hell, having one gun working but also having one or two projects can settle both down.

only you know the right answer. if you step away and find something new, then its all good. paintball isn't for everyone. for every hobby, there are loads that tried it, got into it but then after a couple years, lost interest. craigslist is full of that. its all a matter of what you want and you would like. gas powered remote cars have the tinker ability as well as RC planes and boats. you don't get the rush of shooting someone but the customization is huge.

so don't feel bad. just go forward and don't look back if paintball looses to something else.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'd agree with what some posters have said. Find a few reliable markers that you don't tinker with that always work and it'll help ease what you're feeling. I know personally for me I'm just happy having a bag of 4 markers that always work when I pull the trigger. I personally am NOT the tinkering type so if a marker doesn't work for me I usually know it's a relaitvely simply fix but I'm ham fisted so I usually sell off a marker if it's got something that would require a complete teardown and rebuild to fix. I just don't have the aptitude for it. With that said I've found especially for markers like my PG that I only need 1 tool to tear it down and that's a valve tool. But most of my markers it's usually a quick lube and clean and then put away and they never fail me. I'm hoping the new GoG gun I pre ordered will be as reliable but hey it's a mech spoolie so it shouldn't have too many gremlins as there are only a few orings and not too many moving parts really not to mention no electronics to go bad.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
Buy an automag.
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Thank you all for the kind words and help!

( only you know the right answer. if you step away and find something new, then its all good. paintball isn't for everyone. for every hobby, there are loads that tried it, got into it but then after a couple years, lost interest. craigslist is full of that. its all a matter of what you want and you would like. gas powered remote cars have the tinker ability as well as RC planes and boats. you don't get the rush of shooting someone but the customization is huge. )

Thats another problem i have... ive been into paintball, rc airplanes, guitars, home studio recording, working on computers and electronics, and many other things and i cant seem to find one i want to stick to... i always end up getting depressed in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Step 1: plant trees
Step 2: wait
---
No bunkers necessary, and your yard will look lovely!

My feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogti9g9 View Post

Thats another problem i have... ive been into paintball, rc airplanes, guitars, home studio recording, working on computers and electronics, and many other things and i cant seem to find one i want to stick to... i always end up getting depressed in the end...
just means you have to look elsewhere.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone