mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Or you could grab a 8ci tank, there's one for sale in Misc paintball right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

^ You sound bitter.
Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-Swipe View Post
Of course you have had the idea and were responsible for thinking up the first air tank, electro pneumatic gun, and pneumatic spool. You know I also thought of eBay. But you didn't build anything nor take it past the idea so why will this be any different. You spit an idea someone says no and you dont go any further. Why even ask?
Well, obviously
I actually had the idea for paintball when I was in grade school in 1979

Just to be clear, thought; I never worked for Smart Parts, I'm not claiming any infringement on these systems. I didn't mean to come off sounding bitter, I just think is kinda weird when a random thought comes out to be mostly on target.

The point I'm making - and I think a great many are missing, is that we all have ideas that others say are "stupid" or "impractical" and we shrug and move on. Then some other freak actually makes the thing we were talking about and the game changes because of it. And you are somewhere between glad someone did it so you can use it, and kicking yourself in da butt for not following through on what turned out to be a cool idea.

I'm still not sayin' that I expect to see micro-HPA tanks any time soon, but I am saying I will not be at all shocked to find out that someone is working on them right now. The Leland mini-hpa carts are pretty cool, I can almost see a 12ie quick-change with a regulator on the front - almost. I'm actually imagining something a little closer to the air rifle "PCP" (pre-charged pneumatic) reservoirs.

Of course all this thinking has my mind going in a slightly different direction. Say a shoulder-stock, or something resembling a micro-CA II - but the entire body of the stock is a 3000 psi HPA reservoir and has a normal regulator at the top. Could be refilled by the normal compressor/scuba tank/big N2 tank, or a hand pump (as used for PCP air rifles).

The 8/3000 tank IS attractive - I am pondering its implementation.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 10-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
^ You sound bitter.
not bitter, just pointing out that there's a readily available option that is out there that would suit a general purpose for what he is looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I used to have a BBA valve for testing the DD68. BBA to remote to 16oz CO2.

Write these next numbers down and stick them to your gear bag:

HPA
12 shots per cubic inch at 3,000 PSI
CO2
80 shots per ounce

A 13/3k nets about 156 shots.
A similarly sized 9oz CO2 tank nets 720 shots.

You are better off using CO2 whenever you're able to.
Agreed...only time there are issues is dramatic temperature changes...but then it is paintball not 1000 yard sniper shots.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Hmmm... agreed. As I said in the original post 1.82/3000 mostly equals a 12g (a little math shows that it's the same as CJOttawa's approximations).

Like I said early on, I don't think there will be a vast market for such an item, but there must be some interest, since so many have read/replied. I also mentioned that it was for the purpose of establishing benchmarks for comparing one gun to another.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 10-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Alright... I'll relent on this one. I still think someone will do it just for grins, but I admit that it has very limited application.

The first thing I noticed when I converted my ICD Desert Fox to HPA was that I was refilling the tank all the time! The same gun would run all day on the 20oz. I ran my Nelson pump off a remote hooked to my HPA tank a few times. I was a little surprised at how fast I went through the air.

One of the reasons HPA is consistent is that it's normally regulated twice - once at the bottle, once at the gun, do the same with CO2 and you can expect similar results.

HPA is nice in places like Michigan for fall days when you just can't get enough energy from a bottle of CO2 - Nitrogen is basically immune to the effects of temperature change (does not apply to compressed air). Nitrogen is also clean and free of moisture, compressed air can have all manner of dust and moisture in it - an all that goes into your gun.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I actually would prefer HPA air systems that are smaller than the 45ci or even 'boobie' tanks. Why- because I shoot FS rounds (low volume) and, I'd like a smaller profile as I mount the tank on my back. A 13/3K can get me through most of the day but, something just a bit bigger or a bit more pressure would do the trick.

Simply put, CO2 is not nearly as flexible in it's operational usage- with an HPA setup it doesn't matter if I'm on full auto (quality regs assumed) or, playing on a day where in the morning it was in the mid 70s and by lunch it's approaching 100.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Simply put, CO2 is not nearly as flexible in it's operational usage- .
I suppose that depends on the gun, and the co2 setup.

To me, when I think of HPA, I think its less flexible. ie not all fields carry it. Not availible for renegade, or backyard games. Tanks are heavier, and larger. Tanks require regulation (adding to weight, and complexity). HPA Tanks have a shorter lifespan, more likely to have a hydro failure, etc.

But everyones situation is different

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I suppose that depends on the gun, and the co2 setup.

To me, when I think of HPA, I think its less flexible. ie not all fields carry it. Not availible for renegade, or backyard games. Tanks are heavier, and larger. Tanks require regulation (adding to weight, and complexity). HPA Tanks have a shorter lifespan, more likely to have a hydro failure, etc.

But everyones situation is different
I apologize for not qualifying my statement. As I know there are plenty of guns roaming the field today (but, their numbers are dwindling) that are setup solely for Liquid CO2, and simply will not work with HPA without modification.

I wonder though, are there guns that perform worse when using HPA (aside from those requiring liquid)? For example, my Bushmaster requires a solid 850PSI or greater input but otherwise, works fine on HPA- and no shootdown with autotriggering. My classic Spyder with a vertical harness mounted tank, Expansion chamber and regulating remote, and a secondary reg on gun, still managed to start shooting frost, and dropping velocity, when I started getting on the trigger. With HPA, the load got lighter, and it performed better (no shootdown).

I would say logistically, CO2 is way more flexible, for all those reasons you cited. On the other hand, these days, you cannot assume that CO2 is available anymore either (Several fields in my area do not support it), and if I remember correctly, it was not at Living Legends either.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone