mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Nelson Valve 37 46.25%
Sheridan Valve 43 53.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #41 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Sheridan, by far.

Nelsons need to be designed with so many parts in perfect shapes and alignments, or they go haywire. IMO, anything with a ramped fixed shape trigger/sear interaction like a Sterling or Nelson is annoying because it has to be made perfect and there is no adjustability for feel preference or manufacturing error compensation. Something that we take for granted in later Sheridans - the ability to raise or lower the sear lug is something that simply can't be done in a Nelson without grinding or reshaping the trigger, sear, hammer catch or a combination of all three... Ugh.

Nelsons also have the complication of the hammer being pushed against the valve during cocking, which means you can't run pressure balanced or lightly sprung valves without risking burping or venting.

The powertubes and valves are also incredibly complicated compared to a Sheridan-based gun. The Sheridan valve is simplicity itself and lends itself to an amazing array of customizations and tweaks with a minimal effort. To do the same with a Nelson valve often requires a complete rework of the entire workings of the gun, from the bolt all the way back to the cupseal. The Sheridan bolt system is decoupled from the hammer and valve, which can lend itself to more customization, tweaking and optimization without extensive reworking of the entire system. Venturi bolts, anti-chop bolts and backspin bolts come to mind. I won't comment on their efficacy, but they are a good example of the variety of shapes we can use.

If we are comparing modern sheridans and nelsons, cleaning and maintenance is also much easier in the heat of battle or between games with a Sheridan. The constant sized bore from back to front means you don't get paint hiding in little crevices or getting into hard to clean areas. Simply remove the bolt and run one swab to clean both the bolt and barrel bores. Breech drop Nelsons, in comparison, tend to backfire paint and shell in and around the bolt during a catastrophic barrel break. It can often require disassembly of the entire upper tube, and that cleaning is made harder due to the different bore sizes of the action and barrel. Barrel swabs and squeegees are not big enough to clean them out.

Now that said, I think Nelsons are great for Stock Class and Pistols. They sit lower in your hand which closely mimicks an auto-pistol's handling and ergonomics, and the efficiency can generally beat a Sheridan based gun out of the box unless we are going into low pressures.

Last edited by russc; 10-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Sheridan, by far.

Nelsons need to be designed with so many parts in perfect shapes and alignments, or they go haywire. IMO, anything with a ramped fixed shape trigger/sear interaction like a Sterling or Nelson is annoying because it has to be made perfect and there is no adjustability for preference of error compensation. Something that we take for granted in later Sheridans - the ability to raise or lower the sear lug is something that simply can't be done in a Nelson without grinding or reshaping the trigger, sear, hammer catch or a combination of all three... Ugh.

Nelsons also have the complication of the hammer being pushed against the valve during cocking, which means you can't run pressure balanced or lightly sprung valves without risking burping or venting.

The powertubes and valves are also incredibly complicated compared to a Sheridan-based gun. The Sheridan valve is simplicity itself and lends itself to an amazing array of customizations and tweaks with a minimal effort. To do the same with a Nelson valve often requires a complete rework of the entire workings of the gun, from the bolt all the way back to the cupseal. The Sheridan bolt system is decoupled from the hammer and valve, which can lend itself to more customization, tweaking and optimization without extensive reworking of the entire system. Venturi bolts, anti-chop bolts and backspin bolts come to mind. I won't comment on their efficacy, but they are a good example of the variety of shapes we can use.

Now that said, I think Nelsons are great for Stock Class and Pistols. They sit lower in your hand which closely mimicks an auto-pistol's handling and ergonomics, and the efficiency can generally beat a Sheridan based gun out of the box unless we are going into low pressures.
Well when you put it that way.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
all work

I'll grant you the burping issue with light springs but In a decade of shooting the same nelson I never had a single mechanical issue. I don't think the design is prone to such, rather some poor quality examples of this simple design have been made and sold.

Nelsons present less restriction to the propellent. It's a straight shot up the power tube. Less friction in the single tube design also. All other things being equal, the Nelson will always enjoy a modest efficiency advantage.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #44 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
To be honest, I find that I notice greater differences in the same layout between different manufacturers than between the two layouts themselves. In other words, there are Nelsons I prefer both over Sheridans and other Nelsons, and there are Sheridans I prefer both over Nelsons and other Sheridans. To me it is on a gun by gun basis.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone