mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   The Whiteboard webcomic (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/216766-whiteboard-webcomic.html)

VagabondStarJXF 10-22-2012 10:57 PM

The Whiteboard webcomic

It's the halloween season again and I always enjoy The Whiteboard comic around this time so I thought that there might be a dedicated thread on here so that I could throw out my appreciation... but I couldn't find one. (If there is one could a mod please merge this one with it? Thanks :D )

Anyways...

Another zombie outbreak has hit the neighbourhood and I gotta say that I'm digging the Aliens reference in the latest strip. Thanks Doc. :bowdown

One thing though, whatever happened to Bandit, Snowshoe and Rainman? I haven't seen them appear for a while now.

ta2maki 10-23-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VagabondStarJXF (Post 2512838)
One thing though, whatever happened to Bandit, Snowshoe and Rainman? I haven't seen them appear for a while now.

Nothing, they are just not part of the storyline right now.

Straight from the bear's mouth
Quote:

Can't use everyone...

If I have Doc and Roger blowing things up, I get people asking to see more of Pirta and Sandy.

If I have Pirta shakin' her booty, I get people asking why we haven't seen Rainy or Bandit in a while.

I put up Rainy and Bandit and I get people asking if we can see more of Jinx and Kasi.

If I have Doc & Roger in the shop, people ask when we'll see a paintball storyline.

I do a paintball storyline and people ask if I can do a story with Howie and Kasi's mom.

I do a long-format storyline like Pirta's first game, and people wonder when I'll get back to the gag-a-day.

I switch over to color- which can cost upwards of two extra hours per strip- and somebody will say they prefer the "Scraps" strips which are about ten minutes of copy-and-paste.

Now, none of that is a problem. I like getting feedback from readers, and I'm frequently amazed at how even "throwaway" characters can become instantly popular. (Kasi was originally a one-shot, and I can't even guess how many people have been asking to see more of Jake's coworker Duncan and his boss.)

I have no script, and there is no great overarching storyline I'm going by. The strip is whatever I happen to think of that day- sometimes it works, sometimes it's crap.

More than a few times I've been stuck for an idea, trying to come up with some new way for Doc and Roger to blow something up. Then I'll get an email or read a board post saying something like "When will we see Gino again?" and all of a sudden there's a good gag all laid out.

So don't be afraid to ask. I can't say I'll shoehorn your favorite character in right away, but it just might give me an idea to make a bad gag good, or a good gag better.

Doc.

Brother Jerry 10-23-2012 10:36 AM

It is because of the outbreak that I think of the song "It's the most wonderful time of the year"

James_Blond 10-23-2012 03:35 PM

^ I could just see Doc playing that through a humongous set of speakers while blasting zombies.

TWB is great.

VagabondStarJXF 10-23-2012 05:45 PM

It's good to know Doc appreciates feedback. I'm not really fussed about the rest of the characters because I think Doc does such a great job, I was just a bit curious as to what happened with them. That being said I'm actually hoping that they'll be in the APC as part of 'the backup'.

VagabondStarJXF 10-24-2012 06:59 PM

Y'know what? I'd totally forgot that they used the APC in the last Zombie outbreak. It looks totally different in B&W. lol