mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

My general rule of thumb has always been Macro for HPA/N2 and Braided for C02. The exception being the Tippmann Pro-lite and Mini-lite with their factory installed macro.

Never had an issue with blowouts or failures when using HPA/N2 and macro. It's regulated as it comes out of the bottle, so there's not much bouncing around of pressures inside the line, unlike CO2 which can expand inside the line if liquid gets sucked in.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

There is a vague note in one of the macro fitting manufacturer's catalogs that says that the fitting rating is equal to the rating of the tubing used. This makes some sense. While the manufacturers would say that they don't know what kind of tubing you will use, I bet it's hard to calculate all the stresses on the tubing and bite collar with a lot of accuracy. They also factor in use (abuse) into their ratings. We are obviously relatively nice to our air systems.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I buy norgen fittings also I have never had a problem with them. I also use freelin-wade dot spec tubbing. this combination has been working well for years no blow outs or anything. of course I never use CO2 so I dont worry about spikes. I will occasionally get a leak from the fitting but that happens no matter what you use.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

A lot of this silliness started back when low pressure guns first came out. The original ones were such gas hogs people insisted on macro line instead of micro line. The original macro line hoses people used were from Parker and clearly stated 400 psi on the hose. The fittings have never been rated for more that I know of. Certainly not the ones from Nogren.

The same thing happened to remotes. The original Mamba remote from WDP used micro line (which is rated at 1000 psi) and worked like a champ for everything on the market until SP came out with their gas hog. Then somebody (Joe Dillon actually) decided we needed a 3000 psi hose for 3000 psi tanks, then a 4500 psi hose for a 4500 psi tanks. Has anybody seriously thought about what would happen if a reg failed and 4500 psi went into the gun? If they had....they would want a 1000 psi remote hose running into their gun.

Ironically, the only reg I have ever seen fail was a Smart Parts reg and it was attached to a Smart Parts "high flow" remote line that was rated at 1000 psi. It sounded like a bomb going off in the office. Thankfully though no one was hurt.

If you are going to use macro line fittings for a 850 psi or higher application, do yourself a favor and use a hose that is rated at less than 1000 psi. The hose is a lot easier to work with and plastic shrapnel is a lot less likely to hurt you than metal shrapnel. Of course the best alternative is to not use macro line at all unless you have a low pressure output HPA tank.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiworx View Post
A lot of this silliness started back when low pressure guns first came out. The original ones were such gas hogs people insisted on macro line instead of micro line. The original macro line hoses people used were from Parker and clearly stated 400 psi on the hose. The fittings have never been rated for more that I know of. Certainly not the ones from Nogren.

The same thing happened to remotes. The original Mamba remote from WDP used micro line (which is rated at 1000 psi) and worked like a champ for everything on the market until SP came out with their gas hog. Then somebody (Joe Dillon actually) decided we needed a 3000 psi hose for 3000 psi tanks, then a 4500 psi hose for a 4500 psi tanks. Has anybody seriously thought about what would happen if a reg failed and 4500 psi went into the gun? If they had....they would want a 1000 psi remote hose running into their gun.

Ironically, the only reg I have ever seen fail was a Smart Parts reg and it was attached to a Smart Parts "high flow" remote line that was rated at 1000 psi. It sounded like a bomb going off in the office. Thankfully though no one was hurt.

If you are going to use macro line fittings for a 850 psi or higher application, do yourself a favor and use a hose that is rated at less than 1000 psi. The hose is a lot easier to work with and plastic shrapnel is a lot less likely to hurt you than metal shrapnel. Of course the best alternative is to not use macro line at all unless you have a low pressure output HPA tank.
Most HPA tank regulators have a downstream LP burst disk to stop this from happening. They are 1800 psi though, if memory serves.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Psiworks, good point about burst macroline safety... it's the safest thing you could possibly have burst. I've never seen a piece of it fly off, it' always just a split open in the side... burst fitting, I've seen the collar get launched, and that's a hazard.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Had a fitting fail in April of 2010 and the ring smacked me in the neck. Hurt quite a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone