mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix01 View Post
Since you have an abundance of Spyder bodies, why not make a Spimmy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendal50 View Post
or a Spocker?
Or a spump. Haha!
MCB
TechPB
dmercure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

The answer is to make an Evil M with nothing but hand tools.

Alternatively you could make a one off looking bolt together project out of an automag/cocker
Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
why not do a sheridan build? buy and solder your own tubes you could get adapters and run a cocker frame heck even build a nano cocker out of a few pieces of brass tubing some cocker parts a brass bracket and a few other pieces. I've seen a few done before and they all look beautiful

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
On a random note, i've always wanted to build my own "autococker' that shot tennis balls. Would be awesome to carry around a shoulder held autocockeresque gun to shoot people

I figured i could probably make it out of alumnimum pipe/tubing, could probably get away with using 2' tubing and figure out a sleeve or bore out the barrel for a tight fit.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
All hail RatFink!

The title of this thread says it all. I have been considering for the last few days, how less and less people "build" their markers anymore. when I started playing the markers were basic and people were building their own pump handles, soldering on direct feed adaptors, adding barrel extensions, ect... Anymore, the markers have developed so much there is very little a player can typically do to improve performance. I think the art of a build is slowly dying and I am happy when I see someone with these ambitions. That said, I'll try to add my .02 I would say for a build consider your resources, both equipment and monetarily. If you don't have access to machining equipment, I would recommend a Cocker to be the lowest budget, most basic build. they are great to dig up parts easily for a decent price and fun to tune and tinker with. If you have a little more money Mags are really cool in their own way and their is a variety of different ways you could go with one of them. If you like electronics and want to do an electro, I would recommend an Intimidator there are a bunch of interchangeable parts and mods you can do to one of them, and for what they go for, your result may be very rewarding. Good luck and whatever you choose, be sure to do a build thread in the custom projects section when you get to it.
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
It sounds like most are answering with what THEY would like to build.

Aresfiend, it sounds like a Cocker would be a good choice for you. I have not built one myself, but from nosing about on the forums it looks like there are about a million variations you could reach by selecting different bodies, frames, pneumatics, regs, etc. Assembling, sealing, and timing would be a tinkerer's delight.

As Heinous suggested, an Automag could be a decent alternative as well.

Whatever you decide on, start your research by hitting the subforums and scrolling through picture threads, and sales threads. The misc. paintball BST forum has tons of parts for Mags and Cockers.
nope. i have already a good half dozen projects of various sorts: from the totally custom to the totally mundane of listing things to be sold. besides, i have my own far out custom build that is taking a little back burner as i do just about everything else besides paintball.

so,

if you already know what you want to do, build a cocker, then there is no need to ask for opinions. people have all sorts of different tastes and skill levels. if you have a bunch of sypders, then go to something spyder based. if you want to do a cocker, then do a cocker. its easier to help someone if they have a basis of what that people wants.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ribble View Post
Alternatively you could make a one off looking bolt together project out of an automag/cocker
Hush! What is unholy thing you speak of? Such an abomination would surely rend itself in twain, along with all who stood near, and among their widows and orphans shall be heard much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Not even upon wipers and Gardners would I wish such evil.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendal50 View Post
or a Spocker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix01 View Post
Since you have an abundance of Spyder bodies, why not make a Spimmy?
I don't think you guys get it, I don't want to work on a project, I want something that I can put together with the parts, allen keys, maybe a wrench, and loctite.

I don't want to crank out my dremel, set up a mill, or solder anything. I want to just assemble something.

I have fun assembling computers, but a paintball gun is more affordable and would get more use, that's why I want to assemble one, not modify one.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
I don't think you guys get it, I don't want to work on a project, I want something that I can put together with the parts, allen keys, maybe a wrench, and loctite.

I don't want to crank out my dremel, set up a mill, or solder anything. I want to just assemble something.

I have fun assembling computers, but a paintball gun is more affordable and would get more use, that's why I want to assemble one, not modify one.
If you want something complex that can be assembled without machining, then Cocker is probably the way to go. Look around BST; there are cocker parts out the wazzoo. Angels can be done, I'm sure, but it will take you much longer to find all the parts.

So if you're settled on a Cocker, head over to the WGP forum and start nosing around. If you're not familiar with timing an Autococker, look it up and read the instructions. It can be pretty touchy. Read up on it and decide if you want to mess with that. I have no idea what your skill level is. Myself, I have hardly touched one.

If you want something simpler, and you don't mind venturing outside of the two options in your original post, then an Automag is not a bad way to go. If you buy a complete valve, then assembly is a matter of a couple screws. That sounds a little less complicated than you are looking for, but again, I don't know your skill level. You can crank it up a notch by buying a valve with problems. There are still a ton of parts available both here and direct from the source.

Parts, parts, parts. If all you want to do is assemble something, and you don't really care what, then your primary factor in making a decision may be parts availability. Head on over to the Misc Paintball Items BST forum, poke around and see if anything inspires you. Autococker bodies are pretty common, and if you settle on Cocker, then your next question is "what kind?" Check out what's for sale; that might help you make up your mind.

You can also head over to Bacci Paintball where our very own "bacci paintball" (screen name) has a plethora of rare (and not-so-very-rare) project guns in various states of distress. Either way, whatever you eventually settle on, both Bacci and "Titus" are good sources of parts and generally have the MCB Membership Seal-of-Approval.

But if you don't care about complexity and you don't care about cost and you don't care about parts availability, then you can literally assemble anything you want, with enough time, money, and scrounging. Anything at all.

...except for nuclear devices. The Feds don't like it when you try that.

Last edited by Axel; 11-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post

Then why not buy ion parts? Its kind of like building a sand castle right on the shoreline. You can keep building and building and replacing and replacing out of pure necessity. And to your heart's content.
MCB
TechPB
dmercure is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone