mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I want a new gun but I want to build it.

During the winter I get deathly bored without something to work on. Currently, I have my project Spyder that I've been putting off on since many of my parts were misplaced but seeing as I've ran my closet full of computer parts dry I'm trying to find SOMETHING to build.

That being said, there are two things I'm looking at, Angels and Autocockers. For me to build one reliably working marker from scratch, which would be the cheapest of the two in general?
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
Cockers, definitly. More parts floating around for cheap and you dont have to deal with electronics in most cases. Plus, you have more options with halfblocking, midblocking, pump, mech, etc....
Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Shocker

My problem with cockers is my dream cockers a stock ccm one

But they have a million parts

Also bush masters
And timmys
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

if you want a project go big or go home. everyone worth their salt has done a cocker or sniper of some sort. now, if you make/scratch build a new Empire Trracer into a Auto-Trracer, now that's a project. do something that is more than gathering parts, or can be seen 1000 times before. do something unique and something that hasn't been done before or at least tried by few.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Habs fan!

CCM Fan
Auto-trracer... i think that may be in order for me...
Thanks for the kick start on winter fun!
Studwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
if you want a project go big or go home. everyone worth their salt has done a cocker or sniper of some sort. now, if you make/scratch build a new Empire Trracer into a Auto-Trracer, now that's a project. do something that is more than gathering parts, or can be seen 1000 times before. do something unique and something that hasn't been done before or at least tried by few.
The thing is, by the end of winter, I'm going to have a few halfblocked Spyders and such.

I'm not looking to do any project that will ever come up on here for show, I just want something to assemble, to build, not modify.

Example:

I build computers, hell, when I get bored I will tear mine down and clean EVERYTHING. I will also tear down my stepfather's computer and clean EVERYTHING. I got my stepfather to buy a computer worth of parts so I could build it after my mom's laptop died.

The most fun paintball gun I've ever had was my Ion. Basically, I bought a stock Ion, and kept the solenoid hosing, breech, can, and solenoid piston. I completely rebuilt that gun and I would routinely tear it down to clean it even if I wasn't playing.

The problem is that I can't do that with modern markers as much. I can maybe change a bolt or ASA, or something trivial, but it's pointless to tear them completely down in every situation and usually completely boring to do so.

Now, by the feedback presented I'll probably be building an Autococker.

Thanks
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
The thing is, by the end of winter, I'm going to have a few halfblocked Spyders and such.

I'm not looking to do any project that will ever come up on here for show, I just want something to assemble, to build, not modify.

Example:

I build computers, hell, when I get bored I will tear mine down and clean EVERYTHING. I will also tear down my stepfather's computer and clean EVERYTHING. I got my stepfather to buy a computer worth of parts so I could build it after my mom's laptop died.

The most fun paintball gun I've ever had was my Ion. Basically, I bought a stock Ion, and kept the solenoid hosing, breech, can, and solenoid piston. I completely rebuilt that gun and I would routinely tear it down to clean it even if I wasn't playing.

The problem is that I can't do that with modern markers as much. I can maybe change a bolt or ASA, or something trivial, but it's pointless to tear them completely down in every situation and usually completely boring to do so.

Now, by the feedback presented I'll probably be building an Autococker.

Thanks
sounds like automags more than cockers.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Since you have an abundance of Spyder bodies, why not make a Spimmy?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Woodsball Connoisseur

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
or a Spocker?
Xbox live: Grendal50
Grendal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
It sounds like most are answering with what THEY would like to build.

Aresfiend, it sounds like a Cocker would be a good choice for you. I have not built one myself, but from nosing about on the forums it looks like there are about a million variations you could reach by selecting different bodies, frames, pneumatics, regs, etc. Assembling, sealing, and timing would be a tinkerer's delight.

As Heinous suggested, an Automag could be a decent alternative as well.

Whatever you decide on, start your research by hitting the subforums and scrolling through picture threads, and sales threads. The misc. paintball BST forum has tons of parts for Mags and Cockers.
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone