mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Shot in the ear (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/217958-shot-ear.html)

BLachance75 11-06-2012 11:11 PM

Shot in the ear

This past Saturday I was shot directly in the ear, well it hit the JT soft ear, for the first time in my career. In 15+ years I can't remember ever getting hit there.

It didn't hurt, but I did lose hearing for about 10 seconds, it was like the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the grenade went off right next to Tom Hanks. It was a weird muffled, oceany, ringing sound. Is this normal, and would hard ears stop this.

bigbthebenji 11-06-2012 11:13 PM

Hard ears would lessen the blow. I've actually been steering away from soft ears after I shot this guy in the ear at 7ft (285fps) and it blew right through his soft ears and made his ear bleed.

russc 11-06-2012 11:16 PM

This is why I never, ever recommend oldschool Proflexes to inexperienced players. They are just a step up from JT Snappers.

Kermit 11-06-2012 11:20 PM

Yeah, that's why I run hard ears on my flex.

I've taken tons of ear shots with my flexes, it hurts like the devil.

Kearns 11-06-2012 11:26 PM

I was mugged once, by UConn I think, and shot in the ear. This was a game ender for me. My ear tuned purple and the doctor was really confused later on in the week, during my commissioning physical as to why I had neon green stuff way down deep in my ear canal. I still use flexes. They are just too comfortable.

BlueTrane2028 11-06-2012 11:39 PM

I took an ear shot with my Proto Switch from point blank by a kid renter on my own team. Didn't hurt but I got that ringing sound going on for a few hours afterward. That mask has hard ears thankfully.

-=ArchAngel=- 11-06-2012 11:50 PM

one time, a ball just skimmed the side of my I4s and left my ear ringing.

idkfa 11-06-2012 11:51 PM

I run hard ears on my Pro-Flex as well. I never really felt safe with the stock ones. I modified them to fit with soft ears underneath, it makes them more comfortable.

Falcon16 11-07-2012 12:02 AM

stories like this are why as uncomfortable as some hard ears are I will never ever switch to a mask with soft ears. ears and eyes are too valuable to lose to a game

paintballwannab 11-07-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 2526868)
This is why I never, ever recommend oldschool Proflexes to inexperienced players. They are just a step up from JT Snappers.

Us experienced guys have already been hit in the head too many times for it to matter :ROTFL:

sQuidvision 11-07-2012 12:04 AM

Grillz... i just don't see myself wearing anything else in the near future. Issues like these are why i haven't picked up a pair of flex's yet.

Donut SD 11-07-2012 01:15 AM

Pffft. at least you lost hearing in an appropriate ear. Last time I went out, I took a hit to the left ear and couldn't hear outta my right ear.

War0411 11-07-2012 01:19 AM

I've taken a couple of bad hits to the ears while wearing both Flex's and ProAxis's, and I have been lucky enough to not take any real damage. I had a two game stent doing PB photography where I took five hits to the right ear, and luckily all it ended up doing was cauliflower-ing it for a few hours.

heinous 11-07-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLachance75 (Post 2526858)
This past Saturday I was shot directly in the ear, well it hit the JT soft ear, for the first time in my career. In 15+ years I can't remember ever getting hit there.

It didn't hurt, but I did lose hearing for about 10 seconds, it was like the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the grenade went off right next to Tom Hanks. It was a weird muffled, oceany, ringing sound. Is this normal, and would hard ears stop this.

i guess you were... within earshot... of another player

MIballer 11-07-2012 08:00 AM

Ive been bunkered so many times playing snake in the ears it just doesnt matter anymore.

FreeEnterprise 11-07-2012 09:24 AM

I wear a full flex 8 helmet. And I still have had my bell rung a few times playing. One time a guy shot me right behind my ear (on my helmet) and I thought my alarm was going off the dinging was so loud, lol.

Another time I got shot through the side and filled my ear with paint, so much that I couldn't hear out of that ear until I cleaned it out. You don't realize how much paint is inside a paintball until ALL of it fills your ear canal.

I am surprised more players don't use full helmets, especially for kids... You can still get your bell rung, but it is way better than NO helmet...

B-17 11-07-2012 09:38 AM

I play with a gas mask. No ear protection. My solution was to sew leather squares into my black beanie.

Turns out it doesn't work too well against teammates you were staring at for a full minute.
I got the ringing in my ear for a good minute.

I still run my setup, my ears can fend for themselves.

Grendal50 11-07-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2527008)
i guess you were... within earshot... of another player

WHAT?

CxT 11-08-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grendal50 (Post 2527087)
WHAT?

Its in reference to the CSI Miami Meme, where horatio says a catchy pun. In this case, earshot referring to being within hearing range (or ear-ringing range =p), or being shot in the ear (ear-shot)

NSGSplatmaster 11-08-2012 12:49 AM

Hey BLach, I was the guy that gatted you in the ear. The next day at NEPL, my mini-soft ears shifted up a bit and I got shot pretty much straight in the bottom of the ear. They have larger profile soft ears but the whole point of soft ears is that they are light and can deflect paint. Hard ears would probably help.

Last year I brought a friend to Gravity League; he used to play paintball and didn't really play in awhile. I lent him a pair of my Proflexes with mini soft ears. Somehow, a shot went THROUGH the soft ear and struck him in the ear. He was extremely disoriented for awhile.

The weird thing is that the shot looked like a "glancing" shot. I was facing you, as opposed to shooting you from the side. There was some angle, but it wasn't like a perpendicular hit. Must be one of those weird paintball freak accidents. It was a good time either way, hope to play with you soon.

Spach 11-08-2012 01:24 AM

I haven't had any trouble with being shot in the ear while wearing my i4s, but I do recall being shot directly in the center of my mask from 30 feet away and for some reason I lost my hearing for 10 seconds or so. My guess is that someone's marker was shooting a little hot that day...

Rotozip2 11-08-2012 01:33 AM

One of the many reasons why I did the I3 soft ear mod.

maxearing 11-08-2012 01:39 AM

i double soft eared my proflex. i took one old school and one new school soft ear on each ear. getting hit in the ear isnt really a problem anymore

Bored383 11-08-2012 01:45 AM

ouch

at the first Skirmish Big Game back in '92 I tried to throw a paint grenade back at some guys

the paint grenade being one of the Class C explosive M69's

VintageRex.com | - The Official Online Paintball Museum

just as I had my arm pulled back ready to throw it the damn thing exploded - mere inches from my ear

yeah, I experienced a bit of that 'SPR' feeling you described for awhile . . . and was washing paint out of that ear for a couple days . . . the Vents goggles did nothing for that blast

heinous 11-08-2012 01:53 AM

shot in the mouth before. soft jaw jt proteus. ball broke but shrapnel cut my lips up.

lips weren't a big deal, but i decided to stick to hard ears from that point forward.

BLachance75 11-08-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSGSplatmaster (Post 2527962)
The weird thing is that the shot looked like a "glancing" shot. I was facing you, as opposed to shooting you from the side. There was some angle, but it wasn't like a perpendicular hit. Must be one of those weird paintball freak accidents. It was a good time either way, hope to play with you soon.

No worries, it is all part of the game. Maybe the almost glancing shot is what stopped it from hurting. Either way I think I'm going to look into something else to put over the soft ears.

I'm thinking it was probably a pressure thing that caused the temporary deafness/ringing.

Delta 047 11-09-2012 02:08 AM

This will fix the problem. These are the ones I use on my flex's, suckers are thick as all get out. Never had a problem with ear shots.

Havoc-paintballer 11-12-2012 12:54 AM

I run pro's with the soft ears removed (no ears at all). Sure I get hit time to time in the ear and it hurts. But you just be a man and walk it off. The benefit of hearing better is well worth the RARE pain.

ScreamingCricket 11-12-2012 02:46 PM

I got hit in the hard ears for the first time ever earlier this year, never happened before in the 15ish years I've been playing.

It didn't hurt thanks to the hard ear covers, but I thought I lost my hearing at first. Until I realized the paintball goo went through the slats of the ear cover and into my ear hole. It felt as gross as it sounds and I spent like 10 minutes cleaning my ear out.

I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if I had been hit in the ear hole without some sort of barrier between the ball and my ear.

SNAKESNIPER 11-12-2012 03:00 PM

Sly Profits have pretty good "soft ears" with lots of padding (I put that in quotes because they're really not that soft). I've taken ear shots and while they do ring my bell for a few seconds, I haven't had any long-term adverse effects from them.