mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   It's just a DAM, not a Dye DAM (Semantics inside) (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/217987-its-just-dam-not-dye-dam-semantics-inside.html)

xero28 11-07-2012 12:41 PM

It's just a DAM, not a Dye DAM (Semantics inside)

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, when an acronym is used, but then one of the words in the acronym is used at the same time. Dye DAM for example. The "D" in DAM stands for Dye, so basically you are calling the gun a Dye Dye Action Matrix. There's a superfluous "Dye" in there. It's the same as when someone says PIN Number, or VIN Number. The "N" stands for NUMBER, there's no reason to say number again, you're wasting your breathe! And I'm wasting your time. ;)

Just had to rant. Thank you. Now I'm going to go watch the OWN Network.

heinous 11-07-2012 12:48 PM

you mentioned pin number but not atm machines?

Skibbo 11-07-2012 01:11 PM

I think the issue comes when people take the acronym to be the new name, so the Dye Assault Matrix becomes the Dye DAM, automated teller machine => ATM machine (etc) so the new name is what people use.

docholiday 11-07-2012 01:18 PM

When I worked in the retail side of the bank, people were also asking "Where is the ATM Machine". But still, I'd rather them call it that than a "Teller 2 Machine." Old people.

kospauste 11-07-2012 01:25 PM

Yeah, the redundancy is annoying, but when talking about this stuff verbally, that extra word helps makes things clearer. I don't want people to think I'm talking about a hydroelectric plant or the thing that beavers built.

heinous 11-07-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kospauste (Post 2527261)
Yeah, the redundancy is annoying, but when talking about this stuff verbally, that extra word helps makes things clearer. I don't want people to think I'm talking about a hydroelectric plant or the thing that beavers built.

no, but you're talking about a dam blocking a lake of color dye.

unless you call the gun "DAVE YOUNGBLOOD ENTERPRISE ACTION MATRIX"

Lohman446 11-07-2012 02:02 PM

After all the kiddies buy one and Dye releases the 2014 / 2014SE / 2014SE II (now with urban camo :) / and the 2015 model I am going to buy one of these for like $200.

At that point I am going to reference it every chance I get as my DAM Matrix :)

moving_target 11-07-2012 02:59 PM

Frankly my darling, I just don't give a DAM ;)

kospauste 11-07-2012 03:14 PM

Now THAT'S an impressive name for a gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2527266)
no, but you're talking about a dam blocking a lake of color dye.

unless you call the gun "DAVE YOUNGBLOOD ENTERPRISE ACTION MATRIX"

DSA 11-07-2012 03:22 PM

I think it is important to mention the name Dye if you are using the DAM name only. I would have never put the two together but I get the OP's point.