mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Instead of a lp burst disk they have a bleed hole
Which does work
Interesting. Any idea how it actually functions?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I have always been hesitant to use a regulator that lacks an LP burst disk. I guess if you have a piece of macroline you don't mind exploding...

They actually have a LP bleed off that is hidden behind the gauge. It functions like your LP burst disc, the usual culprit for the LP disc blowing is worn out orings on your piston (well that I have seen working in the shop).
I have the ones with the HP burst disc only and never had a problem with my macroline blowing at all. I do clean them from time to time and lube the seals.

I could see if the seat gets damaged it causing a problem and there being a spike down the reg. I remember talking to the old techs for GA about this and I cannot remember what they said about that.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I now feel more informed. Thank you guys!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I agree, 1800 psi is the LP burst disk. However, the new Myth regulators only seem to have one burst disk, at least in all of the product pictures. These are the really mini ones I speak of.
They talk about a High Pressure Burst Disc at 7.5K and a Low Pressure at 1.8K but how this is arranged in the actual regulator is unclear as you can only see one burst disc port. There is an entry in the manual that implies the LP burst disc is behind the low pressure gauge, "3. Leak at low end safety vent behind gauge.". I can not find reference to this in any of the other documentation especially the drawing.

Edit: I've sent a request to Guerrilla Air/Tiberius for clarification. Now to wait and see.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB

Last edited by Grendel; 11-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting. Any idea how it actually functions?
In my experience, it doesn't.

A member here on MCB shipped me a brand-new (he said) Myth reg- the smaller kind, without the LP burst disc. What I didn't know was that it was missing the piston seat. When I used the tank on my Phantom, the reg free-flowed. The bleed hole didn't blow, but the Phantom's stainless hardline did- right out of its compression fitting. I ended up getting some wicked poison ivy blisters fishing around for all fittings that landed in the chrono station.

That wasn't the first time I've had trouble with a Myth reg. I had another one (used) that where the output pressure would spike over 1000psi when it was filled, then slowly creep back down. I could watch this on my Phantom's valvebody gauge. Turned out the piston seat wasn't missing on that one, just worn.

To Guerrilla's credit, when I mentioned this problem on MCB they happened to read my posts and sent me, free of charge, an entirely new piston and seal set. I used those parts to repair both regulators and they've functioned perfectly since then, but I am keeping my eye on them.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Myth regs are okay, I've got a few of em but I find the shortness of them is often more a curse than a blessing. I got 3 Ninja regs for my 8CI tanks and they are very good quality.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Myth regs are okay, I've got a few of em but I find the shortness of them is often more a curse than a blessing.
For me it depends on the gun and tank. The super-short Myth reg makes my 68ci tanks extra-comfortable with my Sniper, but seems slightly too short on my Ion. My first Myth actually came on my 13ci tank, and it makes that one much too short to be usable as a stock. As for my 22ci tank, I wouldn't even consider using it without the Myth reg.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Ah yea, I use my 22ci with myth reg and also wouldn't use anything else... tank would be too damn long for any setup. The two guns I use the 22ci on have rail mounted ASAs set to the correct length to clear the guage when screwing the myth reg in, so no issue... problem arises when it's my last tank with air in it, and another gun wants to get used

I guess, what it comes down to: Myth regs are a good addition to your air supplies, but you should definitely have another tank with a longer reg on it if not all your guns have lots of ASA clearance.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Just remember, comfort is the key issue when dealing with 4500 psi pressure vessels placed 3" away from your face.

Honestly, after all the negative press around the Myth regulator, and some peculiar design choices with the low pressure fail-safe, I have no faith it and I am actually a little afraid to use it.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
I had a Myth, it wouldn't keep up with a 4 shot burst out of my A5, so I got rid of it for a Ninja.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone