mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Check out the testing Punkworks did on the Myth Vs other regulators, it did pretty terribly.
Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
the small one I had worked fine, only gripe is i dont like the way the "bonnet" is made, the one i had was all aluminimum, the slightest bump screwed up the tip and now the oring wont seat right.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
No class

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilShank View Post
I had a Myth, it wouldn't keep up with a 4 shot burst out of my A5, so I got rid of it for a Ninja.
Wow, is the A5 really that inefficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Chad Thompson is Paintball!
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Myth's are okay regs. I was a big proponent of them a few years back, with argument over argument over at TechPB. I got along with one person who posted for GA, who was actually a rep from YSN Imports. I got to tour both GA and Ninja around three years ago. I didn't like Punkworks test, as I didn't feel that they did what they should have done, specifically try to keep every test the exact same, and do it repeatedly. So I did my own, based upon theirs, but as close to the same every time, and repeated five times per reg. What I found, after doing the tests with two GA Myths, a PSI made Pure Energy, a Ninja, and both a low pressure and high pressure Crossfire, was that the PSI made PE and Ninja were the best.

How do I define the best? Well, to understand, you should understand the tests. First, I filled every tank to 4500 PSI (They were all 4500 PSI tanks and regs), or as close as I could get, since the fill stations at work would get anywhere from 4000 to 4500 PSI. Then I timed the reg output pressure for five minutes, marking the pressure at 30 second intervals. I think that this was my interpretation of what PW did, but later found out that they didn't do it at fill, but sometime after fill.

Just doing that test, I found that every reg had creep, sometimes up, often, a bit down. PW found that their Ninja had no creep, and the Myth had minor creep, of about 10 or so PSI for 30 seconds.

Then, after that test was concluded, and knowing that the tank, no matter how slow I tried to fill them (I actually tried to do empty to full fills in a minute or more time frame), was warm, and dropped in pressure as it cooled, I topped them off. So I topped them off, and took an initial reading of both the bottle pressure, and the reg output pressure. I then did the best that I could, to drop the tank pressure around 200 PSI, and took a pressure reading, again, as best as I could. I did this down to around 400 to 600 PSI left in the tank.

Before I continue, let me say that I had a reg that involved an on/off ASA, with a slide check screwed into it's port, to a T that had a small gauge (0-1200 or 1500 PSI) off of one side, and another turn on/off ball valve to a macro line fitting. The idea being that I could read the pressure (As best as my eye could tell with the small gauge), and either bleed off the air through the slide check, or the on/off ball gauge. The macro fitting was for a third test.

In the end, only the PSI made PE reg, and the Ninja reg kept the output pressure from top (Between 4000 and 4500 PSI) to around 1200 PSI. They did a small amount of creep, dropping in pressure around 30 or so PSI during that range. From around 800 PSI down, they dropped in output pressure, as the bottle pressure dropped. The PSI reg was outputting around 740 PSI, the Ninja was outputting around 950 PSI. One Myth reg was outputting around 650ish PSI, the other was outputting around 1100 PSI. Both of them, as well as the Crossfire high pressure and low pressure regs had creep through the entire range, with output pressure dropping the whole way as the bottle pressure dropped. By up to half of the output pressure from top to 1000 PSI in the bottle. Actually, the second Myth reg cept up, from initial reading, to the next drop in tank pressure reading, before dropping down.

Mind you, I did this five times with each tank.

I then did one last test, hooking up a macro line to a marker, and taking a shoot ever two or so seconds. I also marked down the output pressure every time. I found that every tank had a good enough recharge to keep up the pressure, at a rate of one ball every two seconds, but in the video's that I made of this, some had more fluctuation on the small gauge, due to the reg pressure drop from the shot, than others.

In the end, between the small amount of pressure creep, and the fact that the reg kept a very consistent output pressure from 4500 to 1000 PSI, the PSI made PE reg and the Ninja reg were the best that I found. Afterall, how is velocity affected by a marker that is set when the tank is outputting at 850 PSI, and when it is outputting at 450 PSI? Especially if the velocity is set at 850 PSI from the tank, and during the course of normal play, the tank reg drops to 450 PSI.

As to the safety features of the earlier Myth regs, that was called into question, and when ANS sold the counterfeit Myth regs, it was blown out of proportion. Mind you, some of the concerns were very legitimate, but what with the ANS counterfeits, which had absolutely no safety features to them, and several of them failed and just outputted what the bottle pressure was, everyone thought that any Myth would do that.

One thing that I was lead to understand was that all Myth regs, made in the last year or two, since shortly after the release of the G2, had both the high side burst disk, and a low side burst disk. I don't know if that is the case, as I have not looked at a Myth reg, beyond the three that I have, since Dan was terminated from the company.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The most helpful thing I can say is that the field I work at ran a GA tank with a Myth reg for a majority of the summer, in the two months that we used it, it blew 3 burst discs, the stock one, one we pulled off of a Ninja, and then one that was new from KEE.

This is also a common complaint we've seen in our field's tournament series. During the three tournaments I had attended this summer, five burst discs blew at the fill station, all of which were on Myth regs and talking to a couple of those guys they said that it's an issue that happens on some of their tanks that they bought with a regular HP reg and then one of the other guys I talked to in the pits has that problem with one of his Myth regs but no issues with his Myth II regs or his other Myth reg.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
The most helpful thing I can say is that the field I work at ran a GA tank with a Myth reg for a majority of the summer, in the two months that we used it, it blew 3 burst discs, the stock one, one we pulled off of a Ninja, and then one that was new from KEE.

This is also a common complaint we've seen in our field's tournament series. During the three tournaments I had attended this summer, five burst discs blew at the fill station, all of which were on Myth regs and talking to a couple of those guys they said that it's an issue that happens on some of their tanks that they bought with a regular HP reg and then one of the other guys I talked to in the pits has that problem with one of his Myth regs but no issues with his Myth II regs or his other Myth reg.
Was it blowing the HP disc or the LP one (assuming that, unlike mine, it has one)?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I have two....

One works flawlessly, one leaks and GA won't fix it. I probably won't buy another.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Was it blowing the HP disc or the LP one (assuming that, unlike mine, it has one)?
The ones I've seen are exactly like these.

There have been rampant issues with those, the only two people I personally know that run the G2 regulator however don't have any issues.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Wow, is the A5 really that inefficient?
My Ninja kept up with it, not sure how the A5's efficiency would matter with the reg.

But it got about 17 shots off a 12 gram in 20 degree weather if for whatever reason that does make a difference.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had one of the original myths many years ago. I was not terribly impressed when I had it on my testing rig, granted it was an adhoc test and I didn't save the results. The ninja has never let me down. You can see some of the testing I did with similar regs here
http://www.ppog.org/regtesting/results.shtml
Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone