mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

yeah I can't say I'm a fan of rejuv at all. It takes the rush out of the game, and you end up playing with all kinds of splatter and crap on your lens.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Well, respawn is fun when you have a really good position, a red dot sight, and feel like shooting lots of faces for the first ten minutes

Man we used to have this one milsim crew at MRP fairly often, and they just HATED me and my pump guns... any game against em I'd pick the best center field bunker/tower etc and just hit em over and over on the respawn games... then we caught em cheating one too many times and overshooting renters, and couple of em tried to start a fight with me on the field, and as a result were banned for life. I miss shooting those guys
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
I like this idea a lot.
I hate games with unlimited respawn. At fields I've gone to, the games that have respawns tend to be the least exciting; both for me and people I'm playing with. I think the whole "one life" idea makes people be more driven to try things they might not normally and such.
Really? I've seen just the opposite. People have "one life" and they play waaaay too cautiously. They never move up to the action for fear of being eliminated and then taken out of the game completely. Games get really boring and last forever. People who get shot at the outset end up spending what seems like all day long in the deadbox.

Conversely, with respawn games people take risks and make bold moves. The action is much more fast paced because there's a goal to reach. If you get shot you don't have to sit out the rest of the game, you just have to take a detour back to your respawn point and then you get to go back and have fun again.

If you think the respawn games are the ones where people get bored, and the "one life" games are the ones where people move up and take risks, how do you come to that reasoning?

Edit: The "respawn" point is usually a deadbox too, where you can clean your lens and stock up on paint and air.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Really? I've seen just the opposite. People have "one life" and they play waaaay too cautiously. They never move up to the action for fear of being eliminated and then taken out of the game completely. Games get really boring and last forever. People who get shot at the outset end up spending what seems like all day long in the deadbox.

Conversely, with respawn games people take risks and make bold moves. The action is much more fast paced because there's a goal to reach. If you get shot you don't have to sit out the rest of the game, you just have to take a detour back to your respawn point and then you get to go back and have fun again.

If you think the respawn games are the ones where people get bored, and the "one life" games are the ones where people move up and take risks, how do you come to that reasoning?

Edit: The "respawn" point is usually a deadbox too, where you can clean your lens and stock up on paint and air.
I think that limited respawn may be an answer to this. It allows a feeling for "reinforcements" for the losing team.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
yeah I can't say I'm a fan of rejuv at all. It takes the rush out of the game, and you end up playing with all kinds of splatter and crap on your lens.
I agree. I'm not a fan of respawn games. We've limited it at our field to just one at the end of the day so our customers have a chance to blow off the rest of their paintballs.

Respawn games seem to have a love it or hate it relationship with paintballers. Unlike us, our main competitor does almost all respawn games (he went that route after he cut his paintbal prices in half). One of the biggest complaints I hear from others who have played there is that it's all respawn and they will never go back because of it. But I've also run into players who are regulars there and they just love it.

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of big scenario games is because they just seem like never ending battles. You shoot people. They will then either choose not to leave or they will leave, but then they are back again a few minutes later and you are having the same shootout over and over again. To me, it seems kind of pointless.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of big scenario games is because they just seem like never ending battles. You shoot people. They will then either choose not to leave or they will leave, but then they are back again a few minutes later and you are having the same shootout over and over again. To me, it seems kind of pointless.
This is how I've always seen it.. Never ends as long as someone can stay alie long enough for others to get back there.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
pump snob

Not quite sure what the argument here is.. lets say you have to fight your way north though a line with your team to get the down pilot - but as you make eliminations the bad guys spawn behind you, and then after you get the down pilot you have to fight your way through a whole new line that formed up from the previous defenders... man - thats like three games in one...beats the hell out of total elim any day.

Respawn makes normal games play bigger. Add paint limits and a tight time limits to kick the challenge up a notch.

Variations on spawning:
1 spawn each,
endless spawn first 5 minutes,
freeze-tag,
freeze-tag with a jail,
2 man minimum respawn,
5 man minimum respawn,
timed respawn all dead players at once,
endless spawn - no waiting or limits.
no spawn,
spawn as opponent (predator/zombie/werewolf)
cone based*

*In the past we have used a lot of traffic cone based spawn. Take a traffic cone. put in on a table. If the cone is standing, the spawn point is active and usable. Simply touch the cone and count to ten out loud. If it is still standing when you reach ten pull your plug - you are back in. If not, the spawn point is dead. real simple technique that effectively eliminates most spawn camping issues. see pic

thats ^ 11 variations. all work. same old games boring you to death? Mix it up some.

Last edited by thumper; 11-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

I can understand some of the disdain for re-spawn, for if it is used incorrectly to the context of the specific game it just becomes recycling of players ad nauseum. On the other hand if it is set up and explained before the beginning of the game it can add a whole new element to even a very basic game.

This weekend we had a perfect example how re-spawn enhanced the game. The game was on the surface very basic a small group held the "Island and Castle" and the larger group needed to take it, pretty basic. Now the twists, first there were several traffic cones surrounding the Castle on the Island and to take the Island/Castle the attackers had to knock over each one of them. All of them were in the relative open and at a distance the defenders could reasonably defend them. Now add to this the ability of the defenders to re-spawn but not on the island but actually at a station outside the Island "boundary". Well game starts and we attackers are working well together and I eventually get to a position where I had good cover but clear view of a good portion of the island. I anticipated sitting there slowly picking off defenders one at a time until we got them down to the point some of my teammates could rush them and knock over the cones. Well enter the re-spawn. As I watch some of my "victims" walking off heading to the re-spawn I suddenly realized that that re-spawn site was essentially directly behind me with plenty of cover between me and it. Soon those "dead" players are going to be all over me and they know right where I am >.< Well this forced me to make a push sooner than I anticipated and ended up getting me eliminate where I then had to walk all the way to our Re-spawn on the other side of the field [50 yds I guess] completely changing the original dynamic I had anticipated.

There are other things that Thumper has eluded to as in no re-spawn until you have "X" teammates at the re-spawn point. Then there is a time limit, maybe re-spawn for the first 5 -10 minutes then it is closed. There is the re-spawn location that can be destroyed by the opposition adding another tactical element to the game....etc. There are endless variations limited only by your imagination and the ability of the players to understand.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB

Last edited by Grendel; 11-15-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I can understand some of the disdain for re-spawn, for if it is used incorrectly to the context of the specific game it just becomes recycling of players ad nauseum.
yep - agreed. and I've seen some pretty screwed up attempts by neophytes.

It takes a bit of knowledge to know how to set up a game and a spawn rule that complements the game.. adding challenge and spice...cant believe you flanked yourself..lol

ps: thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Our field does lots of "first half of the game open respawn, after that, one life each" You have time to be stupid, or push yourself to good bunkers/ambush points, before you hear "No more Resurrections!" It also adds an element of "do I go now, or hide until rezzes are over?" Lots of interesting situations develop, and it keeps people from being angry when they can't make game-on because of a gear mishap or long air line.

One of my favorite games we used to play we called four corners. It only works with up to about 30 players, and really anything over 20 is hard to keep things straight. Four teams start in the corners of the field (preferably large), each one with a color. When you're eliminated, you go over to the team that killed you and get in a bunker or close to the guy who shot you. Unlimited respawns, game ends when one team owns the field, or time is up.

Not making people return to a specific spawn point helps keep teams from being backed into a corner (i.e. One guy left on white shoots three people from ambush, he has three people close by quickly, rather than teammates hiking across the field to spawn).
Doing this with four teams keeps it moving longer than a zombie game, and one player may switch teams a dozen times if they're particularly unlucky.

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone