mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Really? I've seen just the opposite. People have "one life" and they play waaaay too cautiously. They never move up to the action for fear of being eliminated and then taken out of the game completely. Games get really boring and last forever. People who get shot at the outset end up spending what seems like all day long in the deadbox.

Conversely, with respawn games people take risks and make bold moves. The action is much more fast paced because there's a goal to reach. If you get shot you don't have to sit out the rest of the game, you just have to take a detour back to your respawn point and then you get to go back and have fun again.

If you think the respawn games are the ones where people get bored, and the "one life" games are the ones where people move up and take risks, how do you come to that reasoning?

Edit: The "respawn" point is usually a deadbox too, where you can clean your lens and stock up on paint and air.
Ok then take this for example: last year's Panda.

Infinite respawns on the huge Saturday game. However, the teams were somewhat unfairly distributed, and allowed them to push our team back to our respawn point. They then decided to just camp out in front of our deadbox, and annihilated us when it was time to respawn. It effectively took out any fun I was having that day. I quit by lunch time.

In my experience, and this isn't true for all games, but the games I've played in (in addition to Panda), when there's infinite respawns, people don't care if they get shot yet. But then it tends to take out some of the fun of the game because no one hides behind cover, they just walk in the middle of the game. Half the fun for me is sneaking up or finally getting my buddy out who has a great position.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
...In my experience, and this isn't true for all games, but the games I've played in (in addition to Panda), when there's infinite respawns, people don't care if they get shot yet. But then it tends to take out some of the fun of the game because no one hides behind cover, they just walk in the middle of the game. Half the fun for me is sneaking up or finally getting my buddy out who has a great position.
I think artguy63 gets to the heart of the point. If there is not real assertive objective then the game gets old real fast. playing tag or tag/spawn/tag/spawn/... is far too repetitive. that is not a team sport. To make that interesting why not (and I like this one) just play one-on-one on a large field/woods/speedball course. That would be interesting and get the heart pumping. Maybe make it some sort of tag team match. When one player gets tagged a teammate spawns. This might even have some audience appeal if the course is view from above and the course had sufficient obstacles to prevent two people just running at each other.

Like a relay race, then elimination would be the objective with all the trappings of a hunt.

Every gun has a story. What's yours?

frgood Feedback
Frgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
.. when there's infinite respawns, people don't care if they get shot yet. But then it tends to take out some of the fun of the game because no one hides behind cover, they just walk in the middle of the game. Half the fun for me is sneaking up or finally getting my buddy out who has a great position.
yeah -the spawn point(s) must be far enough away to where it is a penalty of sorts to getting shot. Ive seen guys just sit on top of the spawn doing the spawn, shoot, spawn, shoot etc.. that does get silly.

We normally play on 18 acres - and you get shot at the far end its a pretty good hike to the spawn point - call it just under 1/2 mile round trip. The further you get away from the spawn, the more conscious you get about not getting shot.

Also - if you add the spawn points can be taken out it adds a whole new dimension to the defenders - do you protect your spawn(s) or the objective of the game?

see pic - the blue +LZs are defender cone based spawn, the red +stage is attackers spawn.. each grid square is 60ft

Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Multiple objectives in a game also spice it up. Do I go for the flag? Or defend the base? To many defenders, you wont get the flag, not enough defenders, you wont be able to return the flag. It FORCES you to work as a team, and divide up your resources. I enjoy games like this.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #35 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
Multiple objectives in a game also spice it up. Do I go for the flag? Or defend the base? To many defenders, you wont get the flag, not enough defenders, you wont be able to return the flag. It FORCES you to work as a team, and divide up your resources. I enjoy games like this.
yep.. the games I really like are the ones that when you look at the field, look at the opponents, know what the objectives are and still can't predict how the game will start or play out or the outcome. I think there is excitement to be found in the unpredictable and unknown... and in variety.

What I find a bit boring are the games/fields that always play the same way and never really change.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I am a fan of speedball. I don't play it anymore but that is for reasons related to me. I like having reasonable lines of sight without twigs, a fairly decent playing surface, and opponents starting within sight (and often range).

I detest "standardized" field layouts. Effectively there are a handful of "predawn plays" that every team draws from because they have practiced it, learned the angles, learned how everything about that field plays. Teams will often repeat the same break (good teams might use half a dozen different ones) but its so repetetive as to be boring. You are playing the same game over and over with strategy removed from the individual games. Yes I know it took thinking and planning to work out those breaks and moves (most teams have scripted moves after the break) but I want to see that in game more than as an "off the field" exercise.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
12 lbs seldge can fix it!

Send a message via Yahoo to capt_cupcakes

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I find traveling out to different fields a lot of fun! (even more so out of state)... Im a fan of speedball but I got bored of using a space gun.... I find speedball a lot more fun when it's pump vs pump! Lately I've found my self playing a lot of Rec ball and woods ball, just keep changing up the fields and try going to Bunkers that you never thought of going to and or if it's a good idea to go to that bunker.... Lol....and like others have said have multi guns.. With multi styles of play. I find I enjoy pump more and mech that's why I have 3-4?? Pump guns and an auto mag...
Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
Bit of PB Wisdom "If it ends in '-ocker' and it is working; leave it the hell alone"
capt_cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
... I detest "standardized" field layouts...
yep... I recall playing and reffing many tournaments in the woods a few decades ago and there was always a very distinct advantage one side had over the other and this advantage did affect the outcomes of many tournaments.

There is simply no way to make a natural field symmetrical like you can an artificial field.

But in moving to artificial cover and symmetrical fields things became much more fair from a competitive perspective.. but lost something in process.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone