mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Bored? -- What to do.. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/218626-bored-what-do.html)

thumper 11-15-2012 06:43 AM

Bored? -- What to do..

ported over from pbn.. decline of speedball thread... but ide like to explore this tangent here...

Variety is needed to keep the game interesting... same game over and over again makes jack a dull boy. There is a reason COD introduces new maps and new gats..just sayin.

bored? : try a new gat, try a new map/field, mix up your tactics, try a new team, make new friends, and my personal fav: gear back until it hurts.

------

What do you do to keep the game fresh?

senghing27 11-15-2012 07:07 AM

Travel and mix with players from all walks of life.

Bring a stockclass marker.

Play hopper ball.

Do something crazy.

Reloadro 11-15-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2534446)
This. Everyone should try stock class at some point, if only to demonstrate to themselves how hard it is.

and/or pistol!

Stilgar 11-15-2012 07:51 AM

I have been following that thread but staying out of it because I have no relevant info to add.

I feel though that, like most things, speedball and other forms of paintball will initially explode because it is so new. Then when the novelty wears off it will settle into it's equilibrium in the sport. I doubt it is declining, just not expanding as fast as it once was.

As for what to do when bord. I agree, switch it up. Be that in your physical location ( I tried hard this year to get my team to move... Limited success). I tried a new game format, the gravity league style tourney (great success there!). I have an open class gun, a stock class gun, and added a semi and I have cycled through them throughout the year just to keep things different from day to day.

If you are used to playing with a semi or electro or open class gun then gearing down may be a challenge that can help. But if you are using a stock class gun all the time it can be just as fun to take a bigger gun on the field every once and a while just for a change. Even if it is only to prove to yourself that you still prefer your other gun.

Next year I plan to travel a bit more. Definitely put on more gravity league games. continue to cycle through my current guns. And generally try to mix things up and keep them interesting.

One thing I am going to have to work on is getting better at speedball... Cuz I discovered this year I suck at it!

Grendel 11-15-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloadro (Post 2534452)
and/or pistol!

this is my next one! :gunsfiring:

Frgood 11-15-2012 08:22 AM

how about instead of changin equipment, change up the game. new rules, new objective, differnet strategies.

Most other sports have minimal changes to the equipment and have a longer lasting quality. Perhaps capture the flag is not the best variant. A complete reinventiod of what game to play with a tagging device would be on order.

Thoughts?
(btw, I have not seen the other thread)

Mr. Hick 11-15-2012 08:40 AM

How many NEW first strike/mag fed guns are coming out? Paintball is getting bored with "speedball" and is making the swing back into the woods/senario. It's all just a big circle.

Me, when I get bored with paintball I just don't play as often or for a while. I try out new hobbies or adventures. I always bounce back into paintball.

Grendel 11-15-2012 08:40 AM

Yes, mixing up the games can help a good bit and Thumper happens to be great a coming up with "creative" variations and new games but there is only so far you can go with this for regular rec/outlaw play. Funny thing is in my last couple outings with Thumper and his group we really never played a capture the flag game once. Regardless though paintball always boils down to eliminating players from the game/play by use of a paintball [or should]. You can only get so creative with that.

Saint_TGM 11-15-2012 09:04 AM

So it seems that "change it up" seems to be the philosophy here of the day, and I agree. Lately I have been moving more to limited paint, but I can't quite get the hang of stock class. I'm using a Sniper with a bucket changer and tuned (ish) internals, but it never fails that I forget to pump it before I screw down an new 12ie, and whoosh, there it goes. What's the secret? Do you just have to be that much more mentally attuned to counting shots, and keeping track of your ammo and gas? The bast I can seem to manage in the "limit yourself" classification is to put a 13/3000 and a stick feed on my T2.

Falcon16 11-15-2012 09:26 AM

when I play SC I find I zone in I'm not only thinking about the game and where my opponents are I'm thinking about movement,12g consumption,how many rounds are in my feedtube it's all in all a harder game but much more enjoyable. I find another fun way to play is to play limited paint semi. My personal favorite is to run a little 30round hopper and a 13/3K on my mag and reload with a 5 tube wrist harness. gives me less than 100 shots but is light and fast and I can lay a few shots down in a row if need be. I do agree though the sport is transitioning back to what it used to be. Scenario games and woodsball seem to be growing where as airball in all forms is stagnating. I find a great way to keep airball fresh though is to run different types of games using different marker setups each time. IE if you have enough guys at your field why not say ok this next game will be SC only and limited paint. I've had great success with that format or an SC vs OC game can be fun too. All sorts of variants like that to keep the game fresh.