mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Paintball brands and tolerance

HI guys,

Just wondering if someone can testify to the tolerances of some markers.
I would like to know which company focuses on making sure the tolerances of their markers do not deviate as much from marker to marker.

Does anyone know what companies have high tolerance issues and ones that don't?

Last edited by TacticalEd; 11-15-2012 at 01:26 PM.
TacticalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Just buy a Viking, you'll be fine
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Tight fighting parts aren't necessarily "good".
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

well, tolerance isn't the same as fits... tight tolerances mean the deviation of dimensions is tighter, tight fits is obvious. I mentioned the Viking as AKA was known for highly accurate tolerances at their peak. However, maintaining a lot of high tolerances isn't necessary for a paintball marker really, I've seen superb performance achieved with extremely simple designs, throughout which there were not many tight tolerances... this is called good engineering, and is a very practical design perspective for sporting equipment which gets used outdoors by untrained operators
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Of course. I just think this thread is a little unfair. I would think BL uses Dow 55 to swell o-rings for a better fit to avoid expensive to manufacture parts when they are not needed, not to make up for poor quality control or swinging variations from marker to marker. This thread is alarmist at best.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh yea, I agree with that. If Bob Long guns were so unsuitably made, they wouldn't be as popular as they are... and they *are* excellent markers in general, regardless of such baseless rumours*

*swelling orings with lube in order to make up the fits? seriously? it's much easier to just decrease the gland depth... the choice of lubricant is for increased range of reliable performance in adverse conditions and to maintain performance with less maintenance... basically. at least, that's my educated guess on the matter... I'm no expert with spoolie-type shooting contraptions.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 11-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
this is called good engineering, and is a very practical design perspective for sporting equipment which gets used outdoors by untrained operators
Awesome. Pure awesome.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

gas-powered tennis racquets, man
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I edited my post to remove the Bob Long comment. This is a marker that I actually enjoyed shooting.

The bottom line to my post was not to bash a company, but to have a better gauge of companies that put an extra effort to quality over quantity.

So far the post did not go in the direction I hoped
TacticalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, the cost to manufacture parts for markers is directly proportionate to the degree and number of tolerances, so it's fair to say that the more expensive markers are usually more precise. Of those, you can also summarize that the high-end markers with the highest reputations for all-around reliability as a product, will have good tolerances and engineering (IE, how likely the one you buy will be as good as reputed to be). Dye, Eclipse, and Bob Long all fit into that, as well as others. Of course, all the bigger successful manufacturers have engineering budgets for smarter, more effective designs nowadays which require less tolerances and inspection, in order to reduce the cost of production and increase revenues, as well as tightly controlled, centralized manufacturing facilities... so again, tighter tolerances doesn't necessarily make the better product: better manufacturing and engineering is really what makes it.

that being said, to more directly answer your question: the companies with weaker manufacturing and engineering have more issues with their tolerances, and more deviation in their units. as a result, those very same companies have lower reputations in their products, due to reliability issues and "lemons".

Last edited by ApoC_101; 11-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone