mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #101 (permalink)
MCB Member

Couldn't you use a thermal imager to do the same thing?

Last edited by 98ssuck; 11-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #102 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Ref manipulation is a part of playing tournament paintball (for some teams at least, definitely not all). Refs are trained to spot tactics like these, and the consequences definitely outweigh the gain if you are caught.
The last year I played PSP Chicago was 2006. Maybe times have improved sense then but at that point, even on the big stage, refs were not stopping any type of ref manipulation.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #103 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
I have had this happen to me, even when i played against other pump players. Kinda douchie, play honorable and even if you lose, your the better player.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #104 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm surprised to see an MCB member encouraging such a shady practice.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #105 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996XJ View Post
I'm surprised to see an MCB member encouraging such a shady practice.
We are not the borg. We are allowed to think differently
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #106 (permalink)
Spoon

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Finally, on a side note, refs should be able to check a player w/minimal effect on their play. They especially should not be pushing players out of bunkers.
This, if the refs are doing their job and know what they are doing a ref going to do a paint check is not going to give anyone a better shot. I feel like it would be more of the players fault than ref "manipulation". I have never once got a player shot while checking them. Also with the calling a player neutral I saw that a little when I first started playing but it never works, nowadays they don't even try to do that...the game stops for nothing(unless a mask comes off or some other crazy situation).
C'mon, this is America. You know some of that "time better spent elsewhere" is playing paper football and scoping out milfs. Productivity is never 100%. America.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #107 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

When I was the OP's age, I would have done the same thing. These days I understand that wiping is a part of our game. Some young guys will do it, and I don't stress over it.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #108 (permalink)
AKA Baby Ollie

Send a message via AIM to Marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanied View Post
This, if the refs are doing their job and know what they are doing a ref going to do a paint check is not going to give anyone a better shot. I feel like it would be more of the players fault than ref "manipulation". I have never once got a player shot while checking them. Also with the calling a player neutral I saw that a little when I first started playing but it never works, nowadays they don't even try to do that...the game stops for nothing(unless a mask comes off or some other crazy situation).
This is the way I see... As a ref, you don't need a bunker. The bunker is for the player to hide behind, not you. If you can't handle getting shot a few times while checking a player, you need to go find another way to make minimum wage. Even getting shot, working at a paintball field sure beats flipping burgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446
The last year I played PSP Chicago was 2006. Maybe times have improved sense then but at that point, even on the big stage, refs were not stopping any type of ref manipulation.
Last major event I attended was HB 2010, but the reffing was mostly good there. I was just getting my feet wet with paintball back in '06, but I believe reffing quality has improved since then.

Playing locally, some of the tournaments are put on by D1/D2 PSP teams. Being tournament players themselves, they obviously are familiar with a lot of the tricks. They also know a lot of the local players/teams, and thus know who the bad apples are.

One of my buddies was on a team that had a drill that went like this:

1. You sit on a brick.
2. Everyone on your team times up across from you.
3. Everyone starts shooting at you. You have to one ball each and everyone one of them in a row down the line.
4. You are not allowed to flinch. If you flinch, you start over.

Kid never flinches getting hit. Dunno if he wipes (he's a good guy), but you will not see him give away to a ref that he's been shot by flinching.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
eBay Feedback 5/0/0

Last edited by Marmaduke; 11-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #109 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
Ok, well I guess I won't do this again... Thanks for you input anyway, actually educated me some what, also made me feel a little bit bad about myself. Hope you all feel good for teaching me a "lesson".
This thread has me balking against MCB.

Kanas posted something that he admitted was sneaky. It's a grey area. Dark grey, in my humble opinion, but still grey. So correct him. When you see someone screw up, you call 'em out and give him a chance to repent. This thread, with a couple exceptions, has stooped to mockery and isn't the kind of MCB family response I would expect.

Heinous (not to pick on you specifically, you're just an easy target with the YouTube link in your sig ), is your camera stunt really that different? It's trickery! Is it that different from 'dead man walking,' an example another poster used? The point is that it's all different levels of grey. MCB has a standard for honorable play, so gently correct and move on. (Heinous, for the record I think that the camera move was on the right side of the line and took big brass ones to pull off.)

Kanas is, judging by the avatar, a pretty young player, who happens to play pump. They are in short supply. Don't drive 'em off.

...and while we're at it, let's not pretend that only young players cheat, either.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #110 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Heinous (not to pick on you specifically, you're just an easy target with the YouTube link in your sig ), is your camera stunt really that different? It's trickery! Is it that different from 'dead man walking,' an example another poster used? The point is that it's all different levels of grey. MCB has a standard for honorable play, so gently correct and move on. (Heinous, for the record I think that the camera move was on the right side of the line and took big brass ones to pull off.)
Thing is, that was a stunt. The gun was built for an MCB contest, used in a private MCB gathering, and video posted for other MCB members to enjoy. Then it was dismantled(I think). Though it is talked(more like joked) about quite often, dead man tricks isn't really what he does. It is different from constantly using grey tactics to get ahead.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone