mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   To Freak? Or not to Freak? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/218758-freak-not-freak.html)

Menace 11-16-2012 02:20 PM

To Freak? Or not to Freak?

Gang,

I'm seeing loads of folk and several companies going the whole freak-bored route with their barrels. I wish to go with some version of the freak system, but am curious as to which is better: the traditional freak kit, or the freak-bored barrel. Or perhaps they are basically the same?

Some thoughts I've had in this process (feel free to comment):

With the larger Freak fronts it seems like efficiency might suffer a little, but a break might be less troublesome since subsequent balls have more space to move through and less likelihood of picking up goop from the front walls. Maybe.

On the other hand, a freak-bored traditional barrel should be more efficient, but with tighter main bore a break will likely be a nightmare, and basically impossible to shoot through.

Also, with AC threaded barrels (for instance), does the freak boring process remove so much material as to weaken the barrel? Or is there plenty enough meat to remove?

Also, the freak backs have nice little o-rings to hold everything centered and snug, whereas freak bored barrels rely on tolerance to keep things fitted. Any problems with slop, or does snugging the barrel essentially snug the back into the breach?

Those of you who have used both the traditional freak kits and also the freak bored variants, I'd love to get your perspective and input. So feel free to post up and educate me here, as this is fairly new territory to me.

Cheers, and my thanks as usual.

forstgump 11-16-2012 02:23 PM

Here's a link. Freak bore

Menace 11-16-2012 02:39 PM

I appreciate it very much. I'm aware of Stanchy as well as tjd10684 and some others, and am always happy to learn who does what around here, but am now looking specifically for end-user data/commentary/advice, as opposed to folk who provide the service.

Though again, that is always helpful to know. :)

Stilgar 11-16-2012 02:58 PM

I have had a freak kit, a freaked phantom barrel, a freaked palmers barrel (not really recomended...), and a factory freaked barrel on my Retro 7.

I use the wonderful Brass inserts that Tymcneer makes.

I personally like using my stock barrels and boring them for freaks when I can, keeps the lines of the gun that were designed for it.

As long as the gun has enough meat, then having a bored barrel wont be an issue. once the barrel is screwed in, the insert is held in place.

BLachance75 11-16-2012 02:59 PM

My Phantom barrel is Freak bored and I have no problems shooting through a break. The next ball basically pushes most of the paint out. I do still swab my barrel to get all the paint out.

I've owned multiple SP Freak barrels, a DW barrel, and a bunch of Freak bored barrels. I haven't really seen a difference in any of them. Sure the SP and DW barrels had an oring to hold the inserts in but it isn't needed. With a bored barrel the insert slides in and is held in when you screw the barrel in. I did have 1 sizer that was a little tight in my Phantom barrel. I took some really fine sand paper to where the laser engraving is and it slide in perfect now. It is my only GoG sizer, all the rest are old SP sizers or Ty's brass sizers.

ApoC_101 11-16-2012 02:59 PM

What I can comment on is the freak tip/step bore thing: My years of field testing with different bore diameters of step bore and 2 piece barrels is such: a tighter step bore of about .005-.010" larger than the control bore is the best all around. FPS/efficiency is highest, shooting through breaks seems best with this configuration, and with good porting pattern the sound is excellent. Going bigger does not offer any advantage and in fact seems to shoot through breaks worse, so most 2 piece barrels and freak tips are really not that ideal at all, considering how much bigger they are than .680 paint.

Kermit 11-16-2012 03:07 PM

I have never really liked the freak system. I've always preferred my one piece barrels.

Just my two cents.

Gunhero5 11-16-2012 03:08 PM

Ask her first..

Oh, oh, ...we're talking about barrels.

Nicodemus 11-16-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kermit (Post 2535956)
I have never really liked the freak system. I've always preferred my one piece barrels.

Just my two cents.

Could you give us 4 cents and comment what it is about the freak you didn't like?

I only use the freak system I have a DW and freak barrel with aa front or stifi front and 2 insert kits one stainless and the others aluminum.
When I was looking into getting a barrel kit back in 03. I looked at every barrel out there as well as read all reviews on the forums and pbreview. I knew I wanted inserts rather than different barrel backs. (can't remember why) but I'm sure reviews help make the decision. All the reviews said it was an awesome performer and accuracy was top notch.
Later on I find that for best accuracy/efficiency you want a control bore of no less than 6" (freak does) and at least 6" of porting (freak does again) got this info from cockerpunk on techpb.
Now that other barrel systems are coming available to accept freak inserts or you can have your own barrels bored for them... It just seems like the best way to go.

Havoc-paintballer 11-16-2012 03:51 PM

A freak barrel and a bored barrel are going to shoot the same since the ball is only touching the insert in either case. I prefer bored barrels as they are:
a) cheaper than buying a freak barrel back and front
b) look better on the gun