mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Ignoring weight/cost, etc., which Freak option is best?
Freak Kits are best 12 29.27%
Freak-bored barrels are best 10 24.39%
No meaningful difference: both are equally good/bad 17 41.46%
It depends (please post/explain below) 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

To Freak? Or not to Freak?

Gang,

I'm seeing loads of folk and several companies going the whole freak-bored route with their barrels. I wish to go with some version of the freak system, but am curious as to which is better: the traditional freak kit, or the freak-bored barrel. Or perhaps they are basically the same?

Some thoughts I've had in this process (feel free to comment):

With the larger Freak fronts it seems like efficiency might suffer a little, but a break might be less troublesome since subsequent balls have more space to move through and less likelihood of picking up goop from the front walls. Maybe.

On the other hand, a freak-bored traditional barrel should be more efficient, but with tighter main bore a break will likely be a nightmare, and basically impossible to shoot through.

Also, with AC threaded barrels (for instance), does the freak boring process remove so much material as to weaken the barrel? Or is there plenty enough meat to remove?

Also, the freak backs have nice little o-rings to hold everything centered and snug, whereas freak bored barrels rely on tolerance to keep things fitted. Any problems with slop, or does snugging the barrel essentially snug the back into the breach?

Those of you who have used both the traditional freak kits and also the freak bored variants, I'd love to get your perspective and input. So feel free to post up and educate me here, as this is fairly new territory to me.

Cheers, and my thanks as usual.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 11-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

Here's a link. Freak bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Comparing a SP product to a CCM is like comparing dog crap to Lemon Meriegn Pie.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

I appreciate it very much. I'm aware of Stanchy as well as tjd10684 and some others, and am always happy to learn who does what around here, but am now looking specifically for end-user data/commentary/advice, as opposed to folk who provide the service.

Though again, that is always helpful to know.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I have had a freak kit, a freaked phantom barrel, a freaked palmers barrel (not really recomended...), and a factory freaked barrel on my Retro 7.

I use the wonderful Brass inserts that Tymcneer makes.

I personally like using my stock barrels and boring them for freaks when I can, keeps the lines of the gun that were designed for it.

As long as the gun has enough meat, then having a bored barrel wont be an issue. once the barrel is screwed in, the insert is held in place.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
My Phantom barrel is Freak bored and I have no problems shooting through a break. The next ball basically pushes most of the paint out. I do still swab my barrel to get all the paint out.

I've owned multiple SP Freak barrels, a DW barrel, and a bunch of Freak bored barrels. I haven't really seen a difference in any of them. Sure the SP and DW barrels had an oring to hold the inserts in but it isn't needed. With a bored barrel the insert slides in and is held in when you screw the barrel in. I did have 1 sizer that was a little tight in my Phantom barrel. I took some really fine sand paper to where the laser engraving is and it slide in perfect now. It is my only GoG sizer, all the rest are old SP sizers or Ty's brass sizers.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

What I can comment on is the freak tip/step bore thing: My years of field testing with different bore diameters of step bore and 2 piece barrels is such: a tighter step bore of about .005-.010" larger than the control bore is the best all around. FPS/efficiency is highest, shooting through breaks seems best with this configuration, and with good porting pattern the sound is excellent. Going bigger does not offer any advantage and in fact seems to shoot through breaks worse, so most 2 piece barrels and freak tips are really not that ideal at all, considering how much bigger they are than .680 paint.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I have never really liked the freak system. I've always preferred my one piece barrels.

Just my two cents.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legendary Peg Board

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Ask her first..

Oh, oh, ...we're talking about barrels.
Gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
I have never really liked the freak system. I've always preferred my one piece barrels.

Just my two cents.
Could you give us 4 cents and comment what it is about the freak you didn't like?

I only use the freak system I have a DW and freak barrel with aa front or stifi front and 2 insert kits one stainless and the others aluminum.
When I was looking into getting a barrel kit back in 03. I looked at every barrel out there as well as read all reviews on the forums and pbreview. I knew I wanted inserts rather than different barrel backs. (can't remember why) but I'm sure reviews help make the decision. All the reviews said it was an awesome performer and accuracy was top notch.
Later on I find that for best accuracy/efficiency you want a control bore of no less than 6" (freak does) and at least 6" of porting (freak does again) got this info from cockerpunk on techpb.
Now that other barrel systems are coming available to accept freak inserts or you can have your own barrels bored for them... It just seems like the best way to go.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dremel Drill Professional

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A freak barrel and a bored barrel are going to shoot the same since the ball is only touching the insert in either case. I prefer bored barrels as they are:
a) cheaper than buying a freak barrel back and front
b) look better on the gun

nation feedback
mcb feedback

Havoc-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone