mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I'm glad you banned automags because anyone eyeing mine would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Options (combine, pick and chose, whatever):

Gravity feed only

No agitated hoppers

No batteries

Limited paint

"Beater" rules- your total set-up must have a value of less than $X. This rule creates all sorts of its own problems though as we discuss the subjective value of equipment.

Really I am with you on most of these ideas accept I do not understand the limiting it to blow backs or what is going to be gained there except for the limitation.
Alright...

Gravity feed only - Agreed.

No agitated hoppers - Agreed

No batteries - agreed (but okay in masks)

Limited paint - agreed as an option (actually preferred, but we gotta have something we can give up in negotiation)

"Beater" rules- your total set-up must have a value of less than $X. This rule creates all sorts of its own problems though as we discuss the subjective value of equipment.
I like it, but agree that it would be difficult to enforce.

Really I am with you on most of these ideas accept I do not understand the limiting it to blow backs or what is going to be gained there except for the limitation
Limiting to Blowback sets a "common platform" and gets rid of a lot of "NO FAIR! They have autocockers/mags/blazers/angels/whatever..." It also sets the initial equipment cost pretty low - total cost for equipment (gun, air, hopper) is less than the cost of most electro/spooler guns.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 11-22-2012 at 10:03 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Why not limit hoppers to gravity-fed only (unfortunately, at the cost of disallowing the Cyclone) and require that guns must be mechanical? It evens the playing field without excessively restricting gun choice. Not having to buy a new gun is much better than having to buy a new gun, regardless of price.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Limiting to Blowback sets a "common standard machine" and gets rid of a lot of "NO FAIR! They have autocockers/mags/blazers/angels/whatever..." It also sets the initial equipment cost pretty low - total cost for equipment (gun, air, hopper) is less than the cost of most electro/spooler guns.
This is where it becomes a balancing act.

One one side you have: everyone must use an unmodified Spyder Vector (or whatever), an Allen Paintball Product graivty loader, and a Guerilla Air 45/3000 steel air tank.

On the other side you have: you can use any equipment you want firing at less than 12.5BPS and 300FPS and firing a "standard .68 caliber paintball"

You can throw in whatever you want to replace specific equipment in there but the point is one side is very specific about equipment used and the other one becomes a free for all equipment wise.

You have to pick a point in the middle. If you feel comfortable that you can get enough participation limiting it to blow back only markers then run with it. My concern is that you will not get enough participation with that specific equipment requirement. I have been WAY wrong before too
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

I understand that point - really, I do.

On one side we have Stock play, which has all the restrictions. On the other side we have "less than 12.5BPS and 300FPS and firing a "standard .68 caliber paintball, as you said.

Taking a fairly broad view on this, I'm hoping blow-back is that middle ground. I'm also thinking that prior to pump class tourneys, very few players owned a pump (let alone a stock-class) gun. Now we have several companies making new ones - for $125 on up (WAY up). Inexpensive blow-backs are readily available.

The hardest part will be getting the first field to agree to it - limited paint/limited BPS = limited profit for a field. It'll be a heck of a trick, if anyone can pull it off... It may be that "Basic" turns out to be "fully-mechanical Semi-auto, non-agitating gravity-feeding hopper". But I would like to at least give "Basic Blowback" a shot - right after I get one that works...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

One problem I see, is that people like to play with their own customized guns, that fit them ergonomically and playing style. If you issued everyone a 98 custom for instance, yes everyones gun is the same, but those who are used to that platform might have an advantage. Personally, I wouldn't want to trade the comfort level of my cocker or blazer(both fairly basic mechs) to play with a blowback, that I'm not used to and doesn't shoot as well.

gravity, hopperball, with my guns n gear is a go for me all day, but I wouldn't want to have to use a different gun that I don't like, doesn't fit me and forego that sense of knowing your gun and how it performs, just to play in a tourney.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #47 (permalink)

Those who are good will be able to adapt.
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeyew View Post
Those who are good will be able to adapt.
But not everyone is going to be good. Especially if you use this as an option to get more beginners to play. To force the kid/teen/young adult/old guy to shoot something that they don't like, or just not comfortable with may be enough of a turn off to cause this to fail.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I know I have nay-sayed this a lot. Try it. What is the worst that will happen? You prove me, and others, wrong.

That being said switching to a STBB is not going to throw a reasonably skilled player as much as some of you think. Granted I have never been as good as I thought I was but I filled in at a team practice with a STBB (Piranha) when I was at the field and they needed an extra body so I grabbed a rental. It did not make much difference.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Maybe not huge difference, but I've invested in my own gear and like using it.

now if someone where to put a 3man on like this and the entry was inexpensive then I might just use it as an excuse to get an ICD cat or a montneel z type. Likely hood of this happening in my area is pretty much nil I would think.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone