mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
They realized what the car industry realized in the 50's. Make constant changes to a product so people will rebuy it later on because the old one will look outdated. Apple does it with their iphone as well. It is a good business model if you can keep updating things just enough to make people think there is a decent change....and over time the little changes do add up to large changes.
Yes and no. From what TK ever posted when he and Bud Orr were competing they saw it as "growing the pie". That is to say that they could sell to todays players and the market would expand and they could sell to different players tomorrow.

I think that the new era we are in realizes that the pie is no longer expanding. That means you are forced to fight for larger pieces or "redefine the pie" every year.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
They realized what the car industry realized in the 50's. Make constant changes to a product so people will rebuy it later on because the old one will look outdated.
-To be fair to the car industry, there was an actual, consistent turnover whether or not they had brought out a new model.

In the 50s, a car was damn near worn plumb out by the time it hit 60,000 to 80,000 miles. By the 60s, a car might go 90K before something major failed- and in both cases, that assumed a regular and frequent upkeep. Bias-ply tires only lasted a few years before they went bald, points ignitions needed tweaking or replacing sometimes several times a year, that 60K mile car might be on it's third clutch, etc. etc.

So many people would buy a new car every 3 to 5 years anyway. A lot of people still do it today so they keep the factory warranty just in case some major and horribly expensive part breaks down.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #33 (permalink)

I have had every ego from 05-11. The 11 has a great feel in your hands but to tell the truth I got as many kills with my old ion.

The marker don't make the player the player makes the marker in his hands do its job.
slyyoung28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mr. Angel Pump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthepainter View Post
Guys, I think Angels are the worst at this game.

How much does an 05 Angel go for now? Howbout one from 2000?

I'm guessing like... 15% of what they retailed for.
The 2005 Angel Speed (lowest price Angel of all times) at 950.00 still goes for 175-225. Not as bad as the ego numbers Carter came up with.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra SS LCD,Rev-i,Dark Angel IR3,2K5 Speed,KP3,Rasta A4 Fly.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1921680
kill-n-spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Time is money.

Cocaine is money.

But is cocaine time?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #36 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Time is money.

Cocaine is money.

But is cocaine time?
Cocaine allows you to borrow time and lets you have fun earlier, but it collects it back when you crash. It all balances at the end of the day, you never profit.

As for the ego pricing...it's a perfect opportunity to snag one for below market value and play with it until it dies. Since they will plateau eventually assuming that PE will continue to supply the parts (even though blowing out a noid costs almost 50% of gun at this point) The average rec player who snags one and that plays casually will never torture the limits of the gun like a tournament player would, allowing them to keep it for years on end.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #37 (permalink)
The Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
"...to go home at night and have to work on a gun would be really frustrating for me..."

...but, but, that's half the fun...
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
GMO Population control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
"...to go home at night and have to work on a gun would be really frustrating for me..."

...but, but, that's half the fun...
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that. Definitely a different mind set than I have. I just imagined picking up that guys used marker down the road. Just being horrified at it's condition, never maintained, covered in paint, ect... I just got shivers down my back, ugh.
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that. Definitely a different mind set than I have. I just imagined picking up that guys used marker down the road. Just being horrified at it's condition, never maintained, covered in paint, ect... I just got shivers down my back, ugh.
Simple basic rule of thumb for used electros is never buy a "pro owned" marker. This happens all the time actually. Maybe that's why I'm so lazy with cleaning my ego... >_>
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #40 (permalink)
Secret SWAT Team

Send a message via AIM to ChaplainBane Send a message via MSN to ChaplainBane Send a message via Yahoo to ChaplainBane

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I learned that the hard way when I bought my purple and white Ego8 used. When it arrived, it was saturated in paint. The guy I bought it from, somehow managed to get paint on the outside wall of the Solenoid block. Something that would actually getting hit while the frame was actually removed from the gun.

Also, it came to me with the 2 piece barrel fused together and toolmarks INSIDE the Breech end of the barrel where the previous owner had stuck a pair of channel lock pliers into the barrel in an attempt to take the barrel apart.

A thorough cleaning and a freak kit later I thought I was all set. Then I got it in the field. the tension spring on the bolt pin was shot. So I gave it to my guntech to replace the spring and tune the gun up. When I returned I found a bent manifold shaft and what appeared to be two shredded o-rings on the counter next to my gun. The tech asks me "So other than the bolt pin, you said the gun was working?" I answer Yes and he responds with "I don't know how that's possible, since I just pulled that manifold shaft out of it and these" *pointing to the o-rings* I ask him if those are the Ram rings, he then tells me that the shredded o-rings are actually what is left of my QEV diaphragms. There was no way that the gun should have cycled, let alone shot. But somehow, it did.

As for people who wonder what is so great about the Ego 11 compared to the 08. It really comes down to improvements to the overall design of the gun from generation to Generation. Mostly for finetuning to the player, but in a few cases, as an improvement to the functionality or overall reliability, such as doing away with the QEV diaphragms all together, to cut down on the need to replace them.

I've owned most generations of the Ego, and I have to say, as someone who likes to tinker and finetune the gun to my preferences and play style. The 11 is the best generation. As far as reliability of the platform goes, that demon posessed purple and white 08 takes the win there, even with catastrophically damaged key parts, it was still shooting, and a worn out spring for the bolt pin was what finally put it in the hands of a tech.

"I have alot of filthy habits. Most of which I find enjoyable" -Willie Nelson as Doc Holliday
Blazer #003
Typhoon #579

Last edited by ChaplainBane; 11-26-2012 at 03:13 AM.
ChaplainBane is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone