mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Time vs Value - How quickly an Eclipse Ego loses it's value over time (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/218992-time-vs-value-how-quickly-eclipse-ego-loses-its-value-over-time.html)

Painthappy 11-19-2012 05:13 PM

Time vs Value - How quickly an Eclipse Ego loses it's value over time

Notes:

The 2006 and 2008 Egos lost the most initial value, but I feel that was due to the fact that they started on the secondary market higher than the other years. It could be due to new technology in the guns, or just looking forward to a new year.

2006 was anticipated after the initial release of the 2005 gun. And the 2008 release had a large technological jump.

Either way, between 2 and 3 years later, the gun's value was cut in half.

I got on this kick when I was looking to sell my near mint 2007 Ego. When I noticed it wouldn't sell for what I thought it was worth, I started looking into all of them.

Please feel free to check up on my pricing. They are averages of what I found on the internet. These are stock prices. It got a bit more difficult as guns got older as they were sold as package deals (tanks and hoppers included) or was some "rare" (not really but whatever floats a kid's boat) version of the gun (aka: 1 of 25).

Enjoy the graph, and go pick up some old Egos. They're going dirt cheap.

Spider! 11-19-2012 05:23 PM

It's nice to have some numbers on it.

I tend to think of most bob longs the same way, maybe with some variations, but they are not as common as the egos.

MaD 11-19-2012 05:45 PM

I think a map of the DMs would look a lot worse. I swear they drop 60% in value within a year. Also, there should be a point where the value won't go down much more.... or at least a slower rate of decline. This would be when they hit the $100-$200 range.

HurtCow 11-19-2012 05:48 PM

If they didn't come out with a 'new' version every year, how do you think it would affect the value?

mpsd 11-19-2012 05:56 PM

That's why I don't have any of those "new" Electros and just a bunch of Mags around (including some pretty tweaked out e and e-pneu ones). Even a 10 years old X-Mag still retains >50% it's original price.

maggot 11-19-2012 05:57 PM

Compare this to the badass guns of the 90's: Eclipse cockers and mags, High end BBT cockers. Some of these still sell for close to what their original retail price was.

Axel 11-19-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurtCow (Post 2538545)
If they didn't come out with a 'new' version every year, how do you think it would affect the value?

In this case, especially if there were no major design changes, condition would probably become the #1 important factor instead of model year. The initial price drop would probably occur quicker (since a late model year is no longer an advantage), but level off at a higher rate (since an early model year is not a detriment).

grimcpt 11-19-2012 06:08 PM

Dm's are at least on par, you can find dm12s for sub 750 all day now.

nickydp33 11-19-2012 06:22 PM

be looking for 2008 ego next year!

DocsMachine 11-19-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurtCow (Post 2538545)

-Almost certainly. I recall when nobody cared what "year" their Autococker was- the important part was options and accessories. A '93 with more or less the same parts as a '97 cost about the same.

You notice no one seems to be worried whether their A5 was made in 2004 or 2011. :D They made PGPs in the common "three tubes stacked" style from what, 1983 on up to about 1998 or '99? Does anyone care what year their PGP was made? (Apart from whether it's a "cartridge valve" or not is about the only part anyone worries about.)

The "gun of the month" concept is designed to make people want- and therefore buy- the latest model. The flipside of that is the inherent and automatic loss of value of the previous model once the "new" model is released.

It works with paintball guns, cars, iPhones...

The problem, though, is once you start doing that, you can't stop. Once you've started releasing a new marker every year, you have to keep doing so. The first year you don't release a new model, a big chunk of your market will bail, and may never come back.

Doc.