mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I like them, and they take me back to a simpler time. Plain and simple.

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

its like asking someone why on earth would they refurb a 50s car
or restore a WW2 Colt 1911A1
or spend money getting a 14th century blade restored and sharpened then spending a fortune on a custom scabbard

People have different factors in their value estimates - thats just the way it is =)

my mcb feedback
Stitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I LOVE playing with older guns. Just makes it more fun to take people out shooting the latest and greatest space dildo. They make for great conversation pieces too, I've had sooooooo many kids come up to me asking what I had in my bag, let a few of them shoot it, and they really enjoyed it. 99% of the ref's come up asking what the heck I'm playing with - most think paintball started when the ION was released I think - they can't fathom something 20yrs old works still.

I would take an older gun any day of the week (except the R7 and Dukie's creations since they are based on such awesome platforms!!)
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Jebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
I couldn't fit an appropriate title in the title box for this thread, but here you go. Basically, I am amazed at times, the love for older markers here at MCB. Look, there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion, but, I am constantly amazed that older markers that perform on a mediocre level by todays standards are still so sought after and some still demand such a high price. Maybe I should put on my fire suit, but Really... I understand the nostalgia involved, believe me. I have been there, but I have also moved on. Maybe you still don't understand what I mean. I am referring to markers intended to play with (I understand some are looking for nostalgic wall hangers). Example 1: Line SI Bushmasters, great markers in there day, I mean really great, but IMHO A Phantom will clean house on one today and yet they still seem to draw a similar price point. Example 2 Tippmann SMG 68's. Really, by the time they were released, they were out dated. Mag fed was so limited compared to the other semi auto's available, or just being released. Even today these beasts can draw $700-800 dollars. I bought one brand new when they were released and it was horrible, even when I changed the sear to make it full auto, it was still a horrible marker. Very inaccurate and a pain to deal with all those stripper clips at the same time, yet they still pull a high price point. Ex 3 would be a factory KP, but I have noticed the love for those dying off some in the last few years, so it's probably a mute point. Let's move on to the PGP. they still seem to be able to pull retail price, but I can't imagine a factory PGP even being feasible with todays small bore paint. Don't even get me started on Cockers, while still great markers today, they are way over complicated and mechanically barbaric as well as weighty compared to some of the offerings today, yet they have a strong following so what's up guys, am I crazy, or is the world?
because the members here are all over the hill and they would like to have markers that are the same still perform well in order to live vicariously through them

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
thats it heinous . . . keep earning those bonus balls from me

TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
thats it heinous . . . keep earning those bonus balls from me

what? i have nelspots

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Because new school requires effin batteries

It also depends on what you consider mediocre performance. In my opinion not much has come out in the last 10 years that was any better than what came out in the first 10 years. I'm sorry just because the latest and greatest is a prettier shade of obnoxious or has shaved off". 000002 oz of milling. And has an even more unachievable high rate of fire by the average human fingers. I don't really see how any of that makes it better. Don't get me wrong there are some new things coming around now that I like especially in the mag fed department. But for the most part I'm still using newer editions of old school designs. Such as the trracer or when it drops the new hammer

And I'm not even over the hill I'm 26
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 11-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Keebler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
ger
Nothing to see here folks

I shoot two markers regularly... my GEO and a classic mag. The GEO is for big games, the mag is for small games. Both work flawlessly every single time & I smile when I play w/ either one, makes no difference.

As for pricing - old or new, what something is worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. I guess some people are willing to pay a lot for certain older items, that's their prerogative.

R.I.P. Battlefront Paintball
ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
MCB also happens to be the corner of the web dedicated to old school paintball. It's definitely exaggerated here vs other forums. For me, I guess it's a reaction against hyped-up corporatism. Yeah, you can build a shinier space... implement... and sell it for $1500, and rease a new model every year, but does it really improve the sport? Nah. An old school gun doesn't lose its cool factor in six months, not for those who appreciate them.
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gobble Gobble...

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Asking why cockers are still popular is akin to asking why some folks still prefer a Harley (or other "cruiser") to a crotch rocket. It has a lot to do with the feel of shooting one that's well tuned, and the satisfaction that comes with being able to set it up correctly yourself.

As others have already said, I'd imagine "nostalgia" is a big part of some peoples motivation to choose an older marker over the latest thing. With others it's likely just a desire to try something different, or possibly something simpler.

Why do some guys choose to drive a 1970's muscle car or pickup instead of a brand new vehicle?

one of the greatest things about paintball is that there is enough variety in equipment and style of play to suit everyone!
HokiePB is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone