mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Raincover for $85
Hell yes, I would buy one 30 30.61%
I would berak down and buy one at some point 24 24.49%
maybe 24 24.49%
no 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #91 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

20db is a MASSIVE reduction for something as quiet as a paintball gun. Kudos.
Take readings outside. I'd bet a lot of the reading you were getting was the sound bouncing back off your walls. You'll likely see better results outdoors.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #92 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

a video showing the testing procedure would be cool if you can. I realize the video itself might not accurately show differences in sound, but if we could see that the setup was done properly, that would be good for business. If it works that well and you offer various barrel mounting options as planned, I may have to get one. Super duper quiet blazer would be sweet.

would this need to be mounted to the end of an unported barrel or would it not matter if the barrel was ported or not? How far does the barrel insert into the cover?

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #93 (permalink)
MCB Member

Will get vid on the weekend, it's only light out while I'm working right now. Ported, unported shouldnt matter. Ported should help some though.
jcurt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #94 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
We don't have the same laws in the UK (firearms need a mod to the certificate for a supressor/threading and must be reproofed) but airgun/paintball silencers are OK. I've found one method that works well with a ported barrel is to take a neoprene sleeve with camo pattern made to cover a rifle suppressor and add a length of pipe insulation, then slip fit the whole thing over the ported barrel section. End result is unobtrusive, no longer than your stock barrel and very quiet, plus slip it off in seconds if you break paint/ATF
ollytheosteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #95 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Yeah, but see, that isn't made of aluminum(ium) and delrin and it doesn't thread onto the end of your freak back all cool-like.

I want the one that goes on the end of a freak back. I would pay for that. I'm something of a "high end" raincover guy. I have a couple of the old BOA barrels, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #96 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Just make sure my info gets accidentally deleted from your records once we're done.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #97 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Have you thought about making it longer than 6 inches? A freak back is 5 inches or so? So you could make the raincover 9 inches long to give the barrel a 14 inch length. It may quiet it down even more.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #98 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
However, only two or three years ago, a manufacturer that was making a cheap .22lr clone of the H&K MP-5 with a fake silencer built in, had been told by the ATF to modify the design, as it was too easily converted. That, it should be noted, wasn't even a silencer. It was, from the beginning, a nonfunctional dummy.
IIRC (and if I'm thinking of the right company) HK came after them because you could just drop in 9mm parts and have a full working MP5 machine gun. I hadn't noticed a change in their barrel sleeve designs between the previous and current gens.

Also, I'd like one for a Freak back if my wife will let me have one

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
1/2 x 28 RH is standard for the AR15 platform. I believe the AR10 platform is 5/8-24. I think 7/8-14 is common on some .50 cal systems.

The factory threading on my Saiga 12 is M22x.75, I'm unsure if that's used on other shotguns.
22 cal anything uses 1/2-28 threads in the US, same for 9mm in the US. 5/8-24 is common on almost all 30 cal, again barring metric threads.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB

Last edited by LilShank; 12-04-2012 at 07:18 PM.
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #99 (permalink)
MCB Member

The wife wants you to have one, who's wife wouldn't.
jcurt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #100 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurt455 View Post
Using my phantom vcs
Using my iPhone db meter ( not sure how accurate)
Basically indoor test cause it's raining.
-20 db was the best rating I got.
Average -15
Because I was indoors and meter was in the doorway I would think full outdoor test would be better.
-Not real sure that's a good test. As noted earlier, a 20Db reduction is huge. 20Db is the difference between a telephone dial tone and a motorcycle engine.

I suspect you were getting abnormally high unmuffled readings due to the echo indoors. That and I question the accuracy of an iPhone app for it- it's probably more of a "general reading", meaning essentially "is it too loud in here?" rather than "here's exactly how loud it is".

In other words, it's probably only a ballpark figure, but since you're doing an A/B comparison (muffled vs. unmuffled) even if the scale is off, it's still a useful measurement.

Might be worth springing for a real Db meter- Radio Shack usually has 'em, for about $75, and... wow, there's all kinds of 'em on eBay for anywhere from $12 to $30. I didn't know they'd gotten that cheap... I wonder how accurate they are...

Try it again, with the 'phone or meter about 3' to 5' directly to the side of the muzzle. In other words, not slightly ahead of or slightly behind the muzzle (within reason) but level with it. Point the mic end at the muzzle, and use a tripod or stand so the distance and height is consistent for all shots.

Oh, and do it outdoors.

I'd say take a minimum of five readings, ten would be better, and if you're using the Phantom, use a big tank rather than 12-grams. The pressure- and thus the noise level- changes considerably as it's fired.

And take a series; ten shots, no muffler, no paint for a "max" baseline. Ten shots, no muffler, with paint for a normal baseline. The ten shots each with the muffler, with and without paint for direct comparisons.

If you have the equipment, it'd also be curious to know, as a direct comparison (as in same gun, same day/conditions, same paint, etc.) to know the difference between, say, a stock 8" barrel and a 14".

Heck, those meters are so cheap, now I want to go out there and try it.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone