mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Raincover for $85
Hell yes, I would buy one 30 30.61%
I would berak down and buy one at some point 24 24.49%
maybe 24 24.49%
no 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

If it actually were to make a significant difference. I'd be all in as well.

I get where Doc is coming from as well. I think for the sake of keeping it only paintball, you should consider going full ABS plastic or something. Something that would hold up to use in paintball, but wouldn't fare so well if someone decided to strap it to the end of a real firearm.
Blackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
^It would likely work once, and that might be enough to get negative attention.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket, but this kind of thing is treading on really thin ice. The "rain cover" subterfuge is paper thin, and will provide absolutely no legal protection if you attract the attention of some official type.

A company called BOA (Barrels of America, used to make brass marker barrels like J&J) got raided, their inventory, materials, tools and computers confiscated, and then hauled into court over this kind of thing.

Yes, people have gotten away with selling or trading single handmade units and a few of the remaining factory bits from back in the day, but I suspect that the moment somebody starts manufacturing them, they'll be made an example of.

Fair warning.

Doc.

WARNING NOT A LAWYER AND GOING BY MEMORY:

Its only an issue if they are readily adapted to firearms. As these will have barrel threading on them for .68 caliper barrels and will not readily slide over the barrel of most firearms it is not "readily" adapted depending on what that term means exactly.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
WARNING NOT A LAWYER AND GOING BY MEMORY:

Its only an issue if they are readily adapted to firearms. As these will have barrel threading on them for .68 caliper barrels and will not readily slide over the barrel of most firearms it is not "readily" adapted depending on what that term means exactly.
That's not entirely correct, and is a very common misconception.

Take a look at the A5OG and X7OG forums for more extensive discussion and research on this topic. As much as I'd like one, Doc is right. There's a risk unless it's pre-approved by the BATF.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
^It would likely work once, and that might be enough to get negative attention.
As opposed to aluminum that might work more than once?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
That's not entirely correct, and is a very common misconception.

Take a look at the A5OG and X7OG forums for more extensive discussion and research on this topic. As much as I'd like one, Doc is right. There's a risk unless it's pre-approved by the BATF.
Preapproved?! Didn't anyone ever tell you that its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission? lol
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops View Post
As opposed to aluminum that might work more than once?
I am saying that the justification it " wouldn't fare so well if someone decided to strap it to the end of a real firearm" will probably not absolve you of the legal issues of making this. If it is capable of suppressing the report of a firearm even once, it may still cause you trouble.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I am saying that the justification it " wouldn't fare so well if someone decided to strap it to the end of a real firearm" will probably not absolve you of the legal issues of making this. If it is capable of suppressing the report of a firearm even once, it may still cause you trouble.
I would say by that justification, every pillow in America is illegal.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket, but this kind of thing is treading on really thin ice. The "rain cover" subterfuge is paper thin, and will provide absolutely no legal protection if you attract the attention of some official type.

A company called BOA (Barrels of America, used to make brass marker barrels like J&J) got raided, their inventory, materials, tools and computers confiscated, and then hauled into court over this kind of thing.

Yes, people have gotten away with selling or trading single handmade units and a few of the remaining factory bits from back in the day, but I suspect that the moment somebody starts manufacturing them, they'll be made an example of.

Fair warning.

Doc.
I've heard that the BATF (I think they changed their name lately) has become more sensible in such matters, but to rely on that is probably unwise. Even those comments were based upon particular agent comments; not just second or third hand, but the origin was an opinion of one agent out of many.

Aside from Janet Reno's activities, the secret service was busy the year before she came to power. I remember this one.

Steve Jackson Games: Hacker

You can be sensible and within your rights, but they can still turn you upside down to see if anything falls out. Sure it's rare, but like Doc says, you don't want that kind of attention. Mar is cheaper.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I have a flasc and to me it seems like a maufactured silencer.Everything unscrews,porting,room inside for some material.I have no idea whats up with that ??
casper is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone