mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Raincover for $85
Hell yes, I would buy one 30 30.61%
I would berak down and buy one at some point 24 24.49%
maybe 24 24.49%
no 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops View Post
I would say by that justification, every pillow in America is illegal.
And this is the trouble. There are endless discussions about this issue, regarding what is, and isn't, considered a firearm suppressor.

I seem to recall someone putting together a suppressor using materials from Home Depot (lawnmower parts, I believe, or maybe a sprinkler system?) and sending it to the ATF.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
The ATF ruling is fairly clear, this is a non issue. Though they HAVE been known to reverse their rulings and flip flop.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops View Post
As opposed to aluminum that might work more than once?
It only has to work once according to the ATF.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

All in all though, I think you are really only going to garner the attention of the ATF if they either find someone who has one that you made, or if you go full on legit.

A one time run here on Mcarterbrown is likely to go completely unnoticed, regardless of the legality of the device.

Personally, I'd still buy one.

I'm still waiting for the screw on holy grail that can accomplish this:

Stock class CCI Phantom Rain Cover Test - YouTube
Blackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yea, it's a grey area of the law. That's why I think it best to do delrin for the core as I won't hold up to use on a real fire arm. There are so many things that can be used to suppress a fire arm it's not funny. I don't think for a second that they would bother with some paintball guys over this. But to each his own. I have a good understanding of the law covering it. I don't think they will pay any mind to it as long as they are not a suitable firearm suppressor
jcurt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
See this thread for the most recent discussion. Recent case law is on our side in the matter, links contained within.

Raincovers

Prior case law is the most important thing if someone did decide to make it an issue it's all about the precedent.

But like I mentioned above, the material isn't as important as many people think. All it has to do is muffle a single shot, even if the whole thing blows apart to be considered a silencer by the ATF.

The key here is whether or not it is readily adaptable for firearms. This wouldn't apply to a paintball silencer. That most recent ruling says that airgun silencers aren't intended to be readily usable on a firearm.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

The thing I find the funniest it you can own every part of a suppressor but the outer tube. How freaking hard is it to fit those parts in a piece of aluminum tube? I mean come on. How about if you are using a suppersor on a firearm that is not registered you get in trouble. So long story short you go out and get a piece of tube and engrave suppressor on it then you are breaking federal law.
jcurt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurt455 View Post
The thing I find the funniest it you can own every part of a suppressor but the outer tube. How freaking hard is it to fit those parts in a piece of aluminum tube? I mean come on. How about if you are using a suppersor on a firearm that is not registered you get in trouble. So long story short you go out and get a piece of tube and engrave suppressor on it then you are breaking federal law.
They can make nothing into something if they want to. I seem to remember a case where they charged a guy with having suppressor building material because he had a bunch of scratch pads.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
MCB Member

Speaking of materials incompatible with firearms....

Maybe you could use something less rigid than delrin. I would think that the more soft the parts are, the better dampening you can get on the whole thing. Something like semi rigid rubber tubing (ribbed!) should be better than aluminum or delrin. Whatever the minimum is to keep it straight.

Or you could plasti-dip aluminum. A deadened housing would be nice. Loose laminates tend to be dead. Hmmm....
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

I have to admit I hadn't heard about any of the recent changes (like the Crooker case in 2010) but I still think people are reading just a bit too much into those cases.

The standard, so to speak, up until apparently recently, is to submit something directly to the ATF for verification- which is exactly what GAMO and the others had to do. If the ATF okays it, keep a copy of the document, start selling. If they don't okay it, you don't.

There was an article I read just a couple of years ago- might have been just prior to the Crooker case- where a paintballer submitted a section of foam pool noodle. The ATF agent noted that by itself, no, it's not presumed to be a silencer.

But put the same pool noodle piece inside a housing, and it'd be considered a silencer, and thus subject to law.

Personally, until we can get the ATF to issue a blanket ruling stating explicitly that they will no longer consider some practical definition of a paintball silencer (IE, made of plastic, designed to be slip-on rather than threaded, made with a .680" bore or larger, etc.) to be subject to firearm law, I'd still consider the manufacturing of one to be very, very risky.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone