mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Raincover for $85
Hell yes, I would buy one 30 30.61%
I would berak down and buy one at some point 24 24.49%
maybe 24 24.49%
no 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
They can make nothing into something if they want to. I seem to remember a case where they charged a guy with having suppressor building material because he had a bunch of scratch pads.
-While I hadn't heard that one, my favorite anecdote comes from an old (70s, I think) copy of Soldier of Fortune I found years ago. In it, there was an article about a guy that made and sold a cheap little threaded plastic collar. It looked like a simple pipe bushing, probably less than an inch long and under an inch in diameter.

The inside was threaded to fit a Mac-10, the outside was threaded to fit a 2-liter soda bottle.

That guy got raided and shut down by the ATF for selling "silencers". (Or suppressors, or whatever terminology you want to apply.)

There was another guy that did essentially the same thing- all he was doing was drilling threaded plumbing pipe caps for rifle barrel threads (for example, the threads on an AR where the muzzle brake attaches.)

Again, that's all it was- a pipe plug with a threaded hole in the middle. To use it, you bought an air-line "muffler", designed to dampen the noise coming out of an air line, like for industrial applications that use compressed air to run production machinery. Today, you can still get 'em off McMaster for about $30.

That guy, too, got raided and shut down by the ATF.

Now, both those examples are pretty old- at least thirty plus years- but does serve as an example. Yes, people have been arrested and jailed for having nothing more than some loose tubing and a handful of something that could be called baffles on the same workbench.

And yes, many of them have been aquitted, but unfortunately even an aquittal will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars- and years of your life.

Again, until we can get a direct, unequivocal ruling from the ATF themselves, it's a very risky grey area.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #42 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well I'm thinking that alpha would have already had drawn some interest on his by now.
Oh well anyhow I'm going to roll the dice on it anyhow. So let me see what I can get going with it.
jcurt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Post Whore

To sum up the crooked case he was basicly aquitted because to make it work on a real firearm an adapter needed to be made. So was not intended to suppress a fire arm and needed to be modified to do so. That's what we are looking at with these. Also figure can't hurt to engrave intended for paintball use only.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurt455 View Post
To sum up the crooked case he was basicly aquitted because to make it work on a real firearm an adapter needed to be made. So was not intended to suppress a fire arm and needed to be modified to do so. That's what we are looking at with these. Also figure can't hurt to engrave intended for paintball use only.
Yep, that last part is actually a great idea. I'm surprised I haven't seen it done on other raincovers actually.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Interesting idea. Now if it works...

Might I suggest maybe looking at being able to couple this with alpha's Inception back?
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Interesting idea. Now if it works...

Might I suggest maybe looking at being able to couple this with alpha's Inception back?
That would mean Autococker threading. That might not be the best as far as sales go.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurt455 View Post
To sum up the crooked case he was basicly aquitted because to make it work on a real firearm an adapter needed to be made. So was not intended to suppress a fire arm and needed to be modified to do so.
-Not so sure about that. I'm having trouble getting that case file to fully load, but the BOA barrels were still declared illgeal despite the fact that during testing the barrel had to be hand-held in front of the muzzle, or simply slipped over the firearm barrel.

Again, the rules may well have changed- the BOA raid was what, 1996?- but the fact remains that many people both here and on the other 40-plus page raincovers thread are counting on what could happen or what should happen, rather than what has happened when dealing with the ATF.

I'm not saying don't work on it, I guess what I'm saying is make damn sure to cover your adz. A few forum posts saying "here's what I think will happen" aren't worth the paper they're printed out on. A signed and dated letter from the ATF saying "yes, this complies with the law (by statute and paragraph)" is the goal. Or, as I said, a blanket ruling announced by the ATF.

Quote:
Also figure can't hurt to engrave intended for paintball use only.
-Can't hurt, but also won't help in the least if they decide to prosecute. It'd be just as effective as marking a baggie of cocaine "Topical use only! Not for internal use!"

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
MilSim

ok so while i know a fair bit about paintball, i still don't know enough. whats the point of a raincover/silencer?
WholemealDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Humm maybe the cocaine thing might work.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Well, it will take the attention off the cans.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone