mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Whoa, that is some serious zoom... Looks good, but I have a feeling it will be almost impossible to position it so it picks up the hits, unless the target is 75 to 100 feet away.

Paintballs curve as they fly, and that drop affects where in the picture frame the person will be depending on how far away they are. I don't know how your 50mm lens compares to my 5X zoom, but just looking at that, I would guess that is like 25X zoom... Which would work with a real gun, but you are lobbing paint? So the drop will put them out of the tiny frame you can pick up.

Course, you are using first strikes, I have Zero experience with those, do they fly flat long range like that? I would assume they still drop, but not as much as a regular paintball.

Maybe you could set up a pivot system, where you could "dial in" the distance of your shot before you fire, and set the camera for that range, then pull the trigger. You could dial it in by locking your marker to a table, and figuring out what range and angle you need for each distance.

I've seen a guy at CPX that uses the same set up you are (except with contours) and he has two of them on his barrel at two different zoom focal lengths, it looks pretty good! But, he is rarely shooting more than 75 feet away.

I want something that does up to 350 feet away, and everything between. So I don't have to touch it while playing.

Just remember to always test it out before you play, so you know it is lined up right. Nothing worse than playing a whole day only to find it was tilted to the left or right, and you have NOTHING on film... Been there, done that...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I'm guessing that it's 22x (given the change in mm (2.8 to 50mm). The image is recorded at 1080P and I cropped it to just the ~1/4 of the screen size- I could crop it to be larger if I feel necessary.

FS rounds fly flatter than regular PBs and by my eye's estimation, at reasonable paintball ranges, it's flying more like a flatline but, as you go farther, you need to arc it (but, not as much as a PB).

The gun cam will be mounted to my Tiberius Picatinny Riser such that when I adjust the angle of the sight to aim and fire, the camera matches. The end result, much like when one fires firearms and scopes, and dependent upon the range, the projectile may cross the view (from 6-12 o'clock), only to re-enter the view (from 12-6 O'Clock) as it closes on the target. My goal is primarily to show the impact, secondly to show the flight.

He has differing lenses on his contours or just differing FOV settings? As you may know, with the contour and the GoPro, when you adjust FOV, but keep the same resolution, you're creating a digital zoom. I looked and looked for replacement lenses for the Contour, and none were available. Theoretically, you could mount a conversion lens but, that will bring more vignetting (looking through tunnel effect), the more powerful the magnifier. I even asked Greg Hastings about this and he ran into the same problem with his camera. It's fortunate for me (and ragecams) that GoPro threads their lenses on the Hero and Hero2 (no clue yet about the three).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Yeah, here is one of his videos, he is using a 6mm and a 12mm on his dual guncams, both on contour roams. Like I said, his stuff is pretty close though... As CPX is a shooting gallery.

Bedlam 10 20 12, CPX Paintball - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MgF2u0eEQ
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Got my new camera in... Holy cow this thing is TINY! The image stabilization is incredible, and it has a Zeiss lens! It weighs less than half a pound!

Now I have to figure out a new enclosure, this is gonna be FUN!

That is my Contour Roam next to it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Nice! I've been watching them get smaller and smaller at Best Buy.

One thing I always had problems with was finding camcorders that would record with the viewfinder closed- what are your experiences with that?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Yeah, I was nervous as I "assumed" this one would... Then when I got it, it turns off when you close it. But, since it is a Sony, you can flip the screen around so that it faces out and close it, and it stays on.

Phew...

Saved me having to do mods to it. I plan on making the side clear so I can see to make sure it is recording. I hated that about my old one, as there was no way to tell unless you opened it up if it was recording or not...

This one is being sold by sony right now on ebay for $199... It retailed for around $400...
It is the HDR-CX210, last years model (8 gig flash built in). The "new" batch I don't like as much as they use a new sony lens called the "G". Which is a wider angle even when zoomed, but it looks soft...

You just can't beat Zeiss lenses which this one has. I think they are going away from Zeiss lenses on these lower end models.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Got my new camera in... Holy cow this thing is TINY! The image stabilization is incredible, and it has a Zeiss lens! It weighs less than half a pound!

Now I have to figure out a new enclosure, this is gonna be FUN!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...ZoomCam2-1.jpg

That is my Contour Roam next to it.
I've had the DCR-SX41 with Zeiss lens for awhile now as a family movie camcorder. Never really thought about using it in game mostly b/c my wife would kill me, but it's sized similarly to that one.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

DO IT...

Once I get my new enclosure done, I'll post some pics. It protects the camera from hits while playing. Mine have been hit many times, with no problem.

Course, a few times my wife has picked up the camera and found a tiny bit of paint on it... Oopsies.

Maybe you "need" a new family camera... so you can permanently borrow your old one! lol.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Finished my ZoomCam version #2 last night... Whoa is this thing sweet!

New ZoomCam #2, Sony HDR-CX210 with custom ZoomCam enclosure Best Action Cam for Paintball Airsoft - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3ipQ828q0

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

that 15x zoom looks cool, if you could try and use some sort of shock absorber to minimize the shaking of the camera when you fire, I think it'd help a lot. Doesn't shake TOO much in these vids, but from what I've seen in your other vids, it rattles a bit out in the field.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone