mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Question ZoomCam, any interest if I produced these for sale?

I've been developing a recording system for paintball/airsoft/shooting sports that does what all the action cams can't... Allow the VIEWER to SEE the hits... Since we play a sport that happens far away, and action cams are made to show right around the person wearing the cam. You have to have a camera with zoom to be able to see what you are shooting at.

So I started developing my ZoomCam system, it took a while to get it to where it is today, lots of trial and error, but I finally have a system that WORKS, and works well. It can withstand hits, and can capture your best shots even out to 300 feet away!

I wanted this for myself, but a few people have asked me if I would sell them one, and I am finally at the point where I could sell it if there was enough interest to produce them.

It wouldn't be cheap. (nothing good is cheap...) As you need a high end video camera to be able to handle the zoom AND image stabilization needed for long range filming, while also being able to handle the "shake" from a paintball gun. I've been using one of the hardest "kicking" paintball markers available since I started testing with my stock Tippmann A-5. As I figured if I could get it to film without shaking with that, then a smoother firing marker would be no problem.

But, these cameras cost over $300 today (my original test cam Sony HDR-SR1 retailed at $1,999, so they have dropped a TON in cost).

And each enclosure has to be made to match the camera being used, so I couldn't easily sell a enclosure without a camera...

Each one allows the side to open, exposing the lcd screen, and another opening where the battery goes for replacement, and another door to access the camera controls.

I would also recommend an Apex barrel for the best results (as they shoot "flat", where other paintball barrels shoot arched, which means you can't zoom in as much as the paint is dropping so much at longer ranges, that when it is zoomed in, they are out of the frame when the paint gets there).

My new version is much smaller than my original prototype, and can be used on any paintball system with a barrel that is 7 inches or longer.

The question is, would you be willing to pay $650 for a ZoomCam system for yourself?

That would include a 1080p HD camcorder that recorded to a flash drive system with tons of image stabilization and a high end lens system, that was designed to match up to a custom ZoomCam enclosure, which keeps the camera angled correctly for capturing your shots on film, while also dampening vibration to the system, and reducing the noise signature, while picking up the game noise around you.

I can also do custom graphics for the ZoomCam enclosure to match your marker, and can be replaced or changed at a later date.

My new camera is on its way (after testing out just about every 1080HD 60fps camera with zoom on the market trying to find one that does what I need for this system). I can make them by hand, but if there is enough interest I could have it produced in quantity, which would mean I would have to pay for them up front, (where if I make them one at a time, it is just my labor costs and material costs, instead of paying someone else to do that part).

Thoughts?

Oh, here is a recent video from my last event, using my old version ZoomCam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1kEYq46Kk

link for mobile viewers
Ghosts in the Woods! TRY Paintball NOW! Get off the Couch with some Woodsball Fun at Trails of Doom! - YouTube

Here is my testing prototype. (new one is smaller).

Last edited by FreeEnterprise; 12-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
I would say no. The additional weight of a full blown video camera on the barrel of a gun is somewhat cumbersome, and for the $650, I could get a Contour or GoPro, and mount it to the barrel of my gun. I would still have cash left over.

That being said, half the fun of recording a paintball video is seeing what's going on directly around you, not just seeing someone get hit with a paintball. If you are truly interested in doing this, I would say your time/money would be better invested in making better lenses for the 2 previously mentioned cameras.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
I've been developing a recording system for paintball/airsoft/shooting sports that does what all the action cams can't... Allow the VIEWER to SEE the hits... Since we play a sport that happens far away, and action cams are made to show right around the person wearing the cam. You have to have a camera with zoom to be able to see what you are shooting at.

So I started developing my ZoomCam system, it took a while to get it to where it is today, lots of trial and error, but I finally have a system that WORKS, and works well. It can withstand hits, and can capture your best shots even out to 300 feet away!

I wanted this for myself, but a few people have asked me if I would sell them one, and I am finally at the point where I could sell it if there was enough interest to produce them.

It wouldn't be cheap. (nothing good is cheap...) As you need a high end video camera to be able to handle the zoom AND image stabilization needed for long range filming, while also being able to handle the "shake" from a paintball gun. I've been using one of the hardest "kicking" paintball markers available since I started testing with my stock Tippmann A-5. As I figured if I could get it to film without shaking with that, then a smoother firing marker would be no problem.

But, these cameras cost over $300 today (my original test cam Sony HDR-SR1 retailed at $1,999, so they have dropped a TON in cost).

And each enclosure has to be made to match the camera being used, so I couldn't easily sell a enclosure without a camera...

Each one allows the side to open, exposing the lcd screen, and another opening where the battery goes for replacement, and another door to access the camera controls.

I would also recommend an Apex barrel for the best results (as they shoot "flat", where other paintball barrels shoot arched, which means you can't zoom in as much as the paint is dropping so much at longer ranges, that when it is zoomed in, they are out of the frame when the paint gets there).

My new version is much smaller than my original prototype, and can be used on any paintball system with a barrel that is 7 inches or longer.

The question is, would you be willing to pay $650 for a ZoomCam system for yourself?

That would include a 1080p HD camcorder that recorded to a flash drive system with tons of image stabilization and a high end lens system, that was designed to match up to a custom ZoomCam enclosure, which keeps the camera angled correctly for capturing your shots on film, while also dampening vibration to the system, and reducing the noise signature, while picking up the game noise around you.

I can also do custom graphics for the ZoomCam enclosure to match your marker, and can be replaced or changed at a later date.

My new camera is on its way (after testing out just about every 1080HD 60fps camera with zoom on the market trying to find one that does what I need for this system). I can make them by hand, but if there is enough interest I could have it produced in quantity, which would mean I would have to pay for them up front, (where if I make them one at a time, it is just my labor costs and material costs, instead of paying someone else to do that part).

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1kEYq46Kk

link for mobile viewers
Ghosts in the Woods! TRY Paintball NOW! Get off the Couch with some Woodsball Fun at Trails of Doom! - YouTube

Here is my testing prototype. (new one is smaller).
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...camNewTod2.jpg
great minds think alike... this is from 2009:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
I would say no. The additional weight of a full blown video camera on the barrel of a gun is somewhat cumbersome, and for the $650, I could get a Contour or GoPro, and mount it to the barrel of my gun. I would still have cash left over.

That being said, half the fun of recording a paintball video is seeing what's going on directly around you, not just seeing someone get hit with a paintball. If you are truly interested in doing this, I would say your time/money would be better invested in making better lenses for the 2 previously mentioned cameras.
it's not heavy, although even without a camera, your gun would tend to point at the ground anyway. from my experience of using such a setup i can say that you'll get a ton of footage of just the ground. the setup pays off when you are longballing, a camcorder lens will give a much clearer picture of a faraway shot than any of those fish eye helmet cams ever can. these setups are, imo, best used in conjunction with a helmetcam, where in editing you can supplement your helmetcam feed with zoomed in kill footages and it'll look much better.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 12-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Cool Heinous!

Yeah, this isn't a "single cam" solution, you really need a helmet cam with wide angle for your primary cam, then when you aim your marker, that is when you switch to the ZoomCam. I've played with it as a primary and it can be done, but you really have to pay attention to what you are doing.

It isn't for everyone clearly, but for people that want to capture what they see on the field of play, it is the only way to do that effectively.

The weight on my system is around 2.5 pounds total, and it actually "balances" out your marker, as the front weights about what the back does on my A-5.

With the new one I am working on it should be even lighter.

Here it is without the skin balanced on my hand.

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
There are a vast majority of products out there. I would save you money and time and use it for personal purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Very cool. I am not the photographer sort who would purchase this, but that is definitely one of the better paintball videos I've seen.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdabmb View Post
There are a vast majority of products out there. I would save you money and time and use it for personal purposes.
Agreed. You would have so little of the market share that it wouldnt be worth it at all.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
To be helpful, I would suggest maybe trying to modify an existing camera to suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Thoughts?

The short answer, no. Here's why: I'm currently developing my 2nd gen gun camera. It's basically an GoPro Hero2, with a 50mm lens (made by ragecams), and a picatinny mount (mounted to my adjustable riser). The only thing I'm missing- a lens protector- I'm kicking a concept around that will use the stock waterproof case. For the gun camera, I normally crop the view anyways (to maintain 1:1 resolution and not obscuring the POV) so, I should be able to manage image stabilization in post processing. The 50mm lens is ridiculous zoom- reading street name signs over 100yds. Here's a video showing the difference between it and the standard GoPro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40feZ5hq4Ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdabmb View Post
Actually, when it comes to zooming into the point to where you can see your impacts beyond 75ft, I disagree. I can't think of one product off the shelf and I can only think of a handful of custom solutions, including my earlier version, and FreeEnterprise's.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I like the idea.

At the shop we have discussed a camera-scope/laser range finder set-up.

This would only appeal to a small group. And we know about niche markets

The go-pro style of cameras are "look at me" doin ma thang camera.

There is always room for another idea because they lead to better ideas.

I have been half hearted working on one for our sniper rifle and using my old camcorder.

Your idea has a place. Keep working on it.

Always trust your instincts. You only need your own approval.

I have people that want to buy my failures.

Just look what has come before us. Good guns or bad guns they are all part of paintball history.(anything paintball)
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone